Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my ef2 decided to spool around 5k+ rpm range every time I WOT. I spend about an hour under the car on the lift and an hour under the hood checking if everything is connected and no hose is flopping around and nothing... Everything is secure. The turbo is still spooling up but boost doesnt kick in till 5k rpm +. I am thinking it is a boost leak issue (havent tested it just yet) but if there was a leak wouldnt it never kick in or kick in at random rpms??

The turbo still spools very strong but at 5k rpm range instead of the 3k rpm range like it was suppose to, at least like it always has...

Anyone have any ideas on what to look for or try to do to fix it? I am thinking of hitting home depot/lowes along with autozone and make myself a 10 dollar boost leak tester but I am not convinced that there is a leak just yet... Maybe the FMIC is acting up or the LICP? Maybe its the cobb bov... no idea... What do YOU guys suggest?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
5k rpm is late to start spooling, can you hear anything unusual like a leak sound?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i forgot to mention that... There is no out of the ordinary sound, nothing extra. You can still hear the turbines turning like normal. No whine, no whistle (air leak) or any type of leak sound is coming out of the engine bay. Had my mechanic listen while I revved and vice versa, nothing different...

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Do the boost leak test first. if you rule out a boost leak and a tune issue, things take a more sinister turn quickly.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
yea definitely boost leak test first. I don't think it would be a tune issue...that would be like his mivec or wgdc maps completely changing themselves.
oh yeah, mivec. I guess a bad solenoid could cause issues, but that should also throw a code.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, I did check the couplets for the pipes again about 10 minutes ago. Everything is secured. Maybe the gs3 has gone bad or the tune has thrown itself out.

Gonna hit back the shop and do some more testing today.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Tunes won't magically change themselves, unless you have tephra mod and accidentally swapped maps (which would be hard to do).

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what type of boost controller are you running?
Im running the grimmspeed 3 port bc, it could be the problem as well.

Check your MIVEC solenoids
Everything is secured :/ Perhaps it is internal.

Tunes won't magically change themselves, unless you have tephra mod and accidentally swapped maps (which would be hard to do).
That's what I am thinking. I've never had a tune "magically" change, I always thought it was one of those "myths" lol.

I have literally checked every damn coupling, every connection in the engine bay, every damn bolt and every damn wire... Nothing is loose.

Here are some new ideas that was suggested by cobb tuning @ plano:
Keep in mind that these are "assumed as theory".

Grimmspeed 3 port bc: shot
Cobb bov: shot
FMIC and its components (L and U icp): shot
Turbo: shot (pretty impossible as I do not hear anything negative from the feedback on it. It still spools, you can hear the turbines spinning without any problems, it's not "rubbing" or nothing like a bolt loose in there and you can hear it...).

I am waiting for a call from the tuner down there now as he will tell me to log some things and we will go on from there. I'll update when there is one.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
yeah revving the engine whilst stationary and letting someone try listening for a leak will not work as there is not much engine load, plus the noise from the motor will drown everything out.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, too much noise. I did make 2 boost leak testers today. I dont know why two... well, one is 3 to 2 the other is 2 to 1.5'' just to be safe i guess... I just need to acquire an air compressor (keep in mind that I dont have a garage so it is a bit hard to get crap done on my car unless it is the weekend which is when my buddy and I hit his friends place and do it there).

I will go to my dealership tomorrow, they let me roam around and use the garage under supervision there. So I will do the boost leak test. While in Russia... Even though I did not have any CELs I decided to check the codes via accessport and I got hit with 3 codes.

P0300 (i get this damn thing all the time then it disappears and comes back, I am rocking gsc s2's so the idle is "a bit" rougher than stock)

but these two are completely new...

P0219 engine overspeed condition (wtf?)
P0134 heated oxygen sensor circuit no activity detected (orly?)

I cleared all the codes, started the car up let it sit there for a minute. I didnt drive it but the codes did NOT come back. I should know more tomorrow...

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Check for an exhaust leak. I'm still thinking it's boost related. You definitely need to do a major boost leak test.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.