Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
awwwwww! but how will we know what it's snow plow rating is?!?
The way the weather has been around here, I wouldn't be surprised if I install it and get the car back on the road and it ends up snowing in May or something.

On a side note, I took the car off the road because it's in wonderful condition for being a 2009 and it's all paid off so I'd like not to have a car payment for a couple years, but I must say...I miss it in the winter, was an absolute tank in the snow. Got a 1997 Subaru outback sport. Not too bad, but not as great in the snow as I had hoped...and no such thing as acceleration, or cup holders haha.

· Registered
969 Posts
The way the weather has been around here, I wouldn't be surprised if I install it and get the car back on the road and it ends up snowing in May or something.

On a side note, I took the car off the road because it's in wonderful condition for being a 2009 and it's all paid off so I'd like not to have a car payment for a couple years, but I must say...I miss it in the winter, was an absolute tank in the snow. Got a 1997 Subaru outback sport. Not too bad, but not as great in the snow as I had hoped...and no such thing as acceleration, or cup holders haha.
Good call. The amount of abuse cars take in the winter kind of makes my stomach turn. It's nice to have a "beater".

I took a road trip over the weekend, and took the wifes MazdaSpeed3. We live on the wetcoast, but we traveled inland where more snow hits, and between the grime on the roads, and rocks getting kicked up by every truck we passed ... ugh, it sucks to take such a nice car and have it get trashed so quickly just during winter. (this is why the evo stayed home) :thumbup:

· Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I love driving my Evo through snow. I love snow so much. I am never going to store the Evo for winter, lol.
Dont' get me wrong, I drove mine through 2 winters and had an absolute blast! Handled better than the truck I used to have, I was amazed. But being paid off, I'd like to keep it awhile and avoid those $300+/month car payments!

· Registered
1,605 Posts
^While it can certainly be a shitload of fun to mess about in the snow, lately I am getting very annoyed by the way this winter is going with the whole Polar vortex stuff and everything. I am definitely not enjoying my evo as much as I did in the summer time. In Toronto the snow falls have been extreme and even though you can go to empty parking lots and drift around, the cops in my town are very bored patrolling on the look out for this so I don't even bother. Driving on regular roads, you have to drive slow and careful with the amount of snow on our roads. Not to mention how cold it's been outside and I can't wait for spring/summer to start wrenching away on my driveway again. :D

· Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yea you guys have had it really tough up there. Coldest winter in my area in over 20 years they say...so I can only imagine how bad it is up there.

Losing my dreaded awc/acd pump last winter, or whatever it's called (having a brain fart) That really played into my decision to put it up for the winter. What a money trap that thing turned out to be!

· Registered
2,484 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this lip Orange. My buddy with his RA had also turned away at the shipping cost lol

· Registered
1,605 Posts
Yea dude, this was my first winter with the X and after reading countless threads about the ACD pump failing, it led to my decision storing it for the winter. Unforunately I have not been able to resist the urge and still taking it out here and there (I start missing it too much lol) even though I have my work truck to use all winter.

· Registered
2,035 Posts
Yea dude, this was my first winter with the X and after reading countless threads about the ACD pump failing, it led to my decision storing it for the winter. Unforunately I have not been able to resist the urge and still taking it out here and there (I start missing it too much lol) even though I have my work truck to use all winter.
I followed the steps to try and protect it. I don't know if it will work or not.

· Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Looking forward to seeing this lip Orange. My buddy with his RA had also turned away at the shipping cost lol
I'll definitely post up the pics to this thread. I know a lot of people have been interested in this lip but chose not to go for it. Maybe I can help change their minds. I know there's no guys on here with Ralliarts local to me, so I'm not worried about any copycats haha.

· aka 1990ggsxnj
946 Posts
It's different, that's for sure. People will either love it or hate it, but as long as I like it and the central new york roads don't tear it up...that's all that matters!
True... I'm not even sure if I love it or hate it yet LOL. Patiently awaiting your post install photo shoot.

I love driving my Evo through snow. I love snow so much. I am never going to store the Evo for winter, lol.
Same.. I dread that damn pump crapping all over my happiness but at least the car stays drive able.

· Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Small update,

I received the lip today right at my work (I'm a shipping/receiving coordinator, so I figured it's best to send it right to me instead of the house when I'm not there!) It made it from Hong Kong to here in Syracuse, NY in 24 hours. *OVERNIGHT PARTS FROM JAPAN* Pretty impressive.

I was a little worried when it was delivered, as it wasn't in a box. It was heavily wrapped with bubble wrap. After removing all the bubble wrap I was happy to see that the required hardware for installation was included. They used cardboard and actual pieces of wood, screwed into the lip through the installation holes to help it keep form through out shipping. This had me feeling a little better after the first sight of it in the bubble wrap.

But of course, after further inspection...there is a small crack, about a half inch long vertically right about where the headlight is towards the middle of the car. The poly is slightly chipped where the crack is. Once I get it to my parents house, where my car is stored I'll take some pics and post them up, prior to installation and after.

I figure once it's installed I can maybe put a thin line of glue to seal the crack and touch it up with some flat paint...or, do you guys think it would be better to just plastidip the entire thing before installation?? I've dipped my chrome nose ring, mitsubishi diamond and hood scoop. Very durable stuff, thinking maybe that would be a smart choice with the lip? Anybody else with a poly lip that has any crack issues, please chime in on what you've done to repair yours. Thanks.

· Registered
2,484 Posts
I thought polyurethane was a flexiable material? Either way, if you have the cans sitting at home, plasti dip it before installing. Should create a nice protective coating in case of any other items that may come into contact with it after instillation.

· Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I thought polyurethane was a flexiable material? Either way, if you have the cans sitting at home, plasti dip it before installing. Should create a nice protective coating in case of any other items that may come into contact with it after instillation.
So did I! It's definitely flexable, but must have been flexed a little too far at some point during shipment. I was like a giddy little school when I saw that yellow and red truck backing up to my bay door, then when I saw him taking it out of the truck and it wasn't in a box I had an instant panic feeling haha.

· Registered
2,035 Posts
Small update,

I received the lip today right at my work (I'm a shipping/receiving coordinator, so I figured it's best to send it right to me instead of the house when I'm not there!) It made it from Hong Kong to here in Syracuse, NY in 24 hours. *OVERNIGHT PARTS FROM JAPAN* Pretty impressive.

I was a little worried when it was delivered, as it wasn't in a box. It was heavily wrapped with bubble wrap. After removing all the bubble wrap I was happy to see that the required hardware for installation was included. They used cardboard and actual pieces of wood, screwed into the lip through the installation holes to help it keep form through out shipping. This had me feeling a little better after the first sight of it in the bubble wrap.

But of course, after further inspection...there is a small crack, about a half inch long vertically right about where the headlight is towards the middle of the car. The poly is slightly chipped where the crack is. Once I get it to my parents house, where my car is stored I'll take some pics and post them up, prior to installation and after.

I figure once it's installed I can maybe put a thin line of glue to seal the crack and touch it up with some flat paint...or, do you guys think it would be better to just plastidip the entire thing before installation?? I've dipped my chrome nose ring, mitsubishi diamond and hood scoop. Very durable stuff, thinking maybe that would be a smart choice with the lip? Anybody else with a poly lip that has any crack issues, please chime in on what you've done to repair yours. Thanks.
Plasti dip is always good. A layer of protection never hurts.

· Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Where the pics at lol
Install pics probably won't be until next month, unless we hit a weekend day with some good weather...trust me, I'm itching to get it on there! Going end up dippin it first though, the "paint" that's on the lip is much worse than our cars paint. It's flaking off in multiple places, not just where the crack is.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.