Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When at the track, I swap between my OEM GSR wheel with slicks and NT03+M wheels with DOT tires. Before someone asks the obvious "Why dont you put slicks on the NT03+M?" - simple answer is that I get slicks for free in the OEM size, and my NT03+m's are a 9.5" wide.

Point is, I end up swapping wheels a lot. It's not unusual for me to have the wheels on/off the car nearly a dozen times over the course of a month. As a result, I end up breaking quite a few wheel studs. I've been using Dormand or Pick-a-nut replacements, as they're cheap and I can usually get them at any hardware store. But they break a lot, taking a lug nut with them in the process. I'd rather them not break, since it's a hassle and I've bloodied more than my fair share of knuckles replacing studs. Can anyone suggest any wheel studs made for racing that are worth the investment? Please don't suggest any stupid expensive jdm ricer shit that doesn't actually hold up.

Then there's the issue of hub-centric rings. I don't actually run a spacer, since my wheels fit fine without one. But the wheels do use a small plastic hub-centeric ring since the wheel bore is a little larger than the rotor hat. After all tracking, this ring separated from the wheel and fuzed to become a part of my rotor hat, preventing me from putting my OEM wheels back on. The only way to get the fused ring off was with a chisel, thus destroying the ring. Now I cant put my NT03+m's back on until I get a new ring, unless I go lug-centric which I refuse to do. So my question is, what's a good solution to get a more durable hub-centric fit for my aftermarket wheels than replacing the crappy plastic ring with yet another plastic crappy ring? A solution that's easily interchangeable with the my OEM wheels would be ideal. I was thinking some of the forged hubcentric spacers made sense. I noticed some also include wheel studs, which might solve my other problem. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I know of a couple people that use the standard length ARP studs that can be had from Summit for ~14 for a set of five. Quick question are you lubricating the threads when you swap wheels? For the hub centric spacers I remember seeing ones that were either 10mm or 5mm and had an option to be stock bore or 73mm -> stock bore but that was a while ago and I can't remember who made them.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Why are you breaking studs?? Are you using a properly calibrated torque wrench? Or just impacting them off/on?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I don't lube the lugs. What do you use? just a silicon spray or lithium grease or something?

i don't use an impact or a torque to put them on. Just doing it by hand until it feels right, but don't he-man it. They always break when taking the lugs off, not putting them on. I always assumed it due to all the pressure on the lugs while cornering at the track.

waltezee - thx, I didn't know ARP made wheel studs. They're stuff is quality, so one down :) We're a 20m x 1.5, right? Via summit, I see Moroso, Wilwood and Moser also make some. Probably can't go wrong with any of those.

Any comments on the spacers? I know Touge Factory can hook me up with a set of new rings.. they actually have a custom set made for this wheel on the Evo X. but I've heard the Kicks and Echiban spacers might get around the ring wear issues. Anyone running spacers without rings on an NT03+M?

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
No, I don't lube the lugs. What do you use? just a silicon spray or lithium grease or something?

i don't use an impact or a torque to put them on. Just doing it by hand until it feels right, but don't he-man it. They always break when taking the lugs off, not putting them on. I always assumed it due to all the pressure on the lugs while cornering at the track.

waltezee - thx, I didn't know ARP made wheel studs. They're stuff is quality, so one down :) We're a 20m x 1.5, right? Via summit, I see Moroso, Wilwood and Moser also make some. Probably can't go wrong with any of those.

Any comments on the spacers? I know Touge Factory can hook me up with a set of new rings.. they actually have a custom set made for this wheel on the Evo X. but I've heard the Kicks and Echiban spacers might get around the ring wear issues. Anyone running spacers without rings on an NT03+M?
Two mistakes right there buddy. I use the white lithium grease from advance auto parts and also torque using a torque wrench with aluminum lugs on stock studs. Never broke even one (knock on wood).

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
once i think about it, I'm pretty sure the stud ALWAYS breaks on the front passenger wheel. It's definitely always in the front. And I always replace it with a Dorman stud. I'm starting to suspect that Dorman studs suck and I keep breaking the same one.

What do you torque them to? The techs at the track always check for 60lbs iirc, but I've heard guys suggest doing at least 80lbs. Thats a pretty big window, hence why I never really bothered with a wrench. Pretty sure I can guesstimate to hit a 20lb window.

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
once i think about it, I'm pretty sure the stud ALWAYS breaks on the front passenger wheel. It's definitely always in the front. And I always replace it with a Dorman stud. I'm starting to suspect that Dorman studs suck and I keep breaking the same one.

What do you torque them to? The techs at the track always check for 60lbs iirc, but I've heard guys suggest doing at least 80lbs. Thats a pretty big window, hence why I never really bothered with a wrench. Pretty sure I can guesstimate to hit a 20lb window.
My 5Zigen aluminum lugs have an 80 ft-lbs limit. I torque them to 70 at the track. and do check them once every 2 sessions.

·
aka mrubino83
4,161 Posts
You really should invest in a torque wrench and cordless impact if you are swapping that much. Torquing is crucial. 80lbs.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have both. I'll make it a habit of using the torque wrench on the lugs.

anyone have any advice for the rings? i see some places make aluminum ones. our hubs are 67.1mm, and the nt03+m has an odd-sized 72.6mm bore. makes finding a spacer a bit difficult :(

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great, a first hand review... that's what I was looking to hear :) Do you live in an area that gets snow/salt? I'm worried about oxidation of the rings over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry, no snow here in socal, so I can't say how they would hold up with the snow and salt. Although it seems like you're taking wheels on and off pretty frequently so maybe just do a quick rinse down and wipe every so often.

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
If you're swapping wheels several times a month, I don't think you need to worry about oxidation. Also, if they are aluminum, I doubt you will see much oxidation issues.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm more worried about winter. I probably wont take the wheels off again until Feb/March. Thats a good 3 months. Plenty of time to rust.

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
I don't think 3 months is long enough honestly. It would take a lot more time and a lot more exposure for something to rust-seize. Not to mention Deraj is in a coastal state, so a corrosive environment is abound all year round. If he hasn't had issues with it, I doubt you will. I will be your guinea pig to try the rings if you want.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm pretty much sold on them. Just trying to put a whole package together and look into the spacer option. If I can get a spacer that acts as a ring, that would be idea, but I'm not sure if anything like that exists. I've seen some spacers that include the ring, but its not a machined part of the spacer itself.

I think the spacer will just add more complexity though. Sure I can get up to 30mm of track, but now when I swap wheels, I gotta take off 10 nuts per wheel instead of 5 =/

BTW, I PM'd Mike @ Touge Factory about it. They had the same problem I'm having with the Enkie rings melting to the hub after a few track days. They actually had to use a torch to get theirs off, so I guess I'm lucky :) They ended up manufacturing their own Evo -> NT03+m specific aluminum spacers, and they're only $22 a set - http://shop.tougefactory.com/produc...7-8-9-X-Enkei-NT03%2bM-(67.1mm-x-72.6mm).html

I think I'll go with that, a full set of ARP studs (part #100-7717), and some open-ended lugs. Are there any lugs that are compatible with the OEM wheels and aftermarket wheels? I have having to carry around an extra set when I swap wheels... one more thing I need to remember to pack (yet always forget)

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
My plastic rings I bought a MachV are just fine. Don't remember the brand though.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have 1 or 2 pc rotors? I have 2pc with aluminum hats. Might have something to do with it

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
1 PC Girodisc Rotors, ST43 pads. I also have those little brake cooling air guide thingies from the factory.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts