Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to anyone that's reading this,
I recently came across an Evo X online. The car seems to be nice, but there's always a catch. I will include what they say in the listing

"a few of the manifold studs stripped the head (car has not and will not be started due to this issue) so will need to be towed"

This is throwing some red flags for me but I don't know if this is a large problem or something that can be easily solved but I know someone on the forums will.

If anyone knows what to do in this situation and if this is an easy fix or something more major can they please respond and let me know.

Thank You

·
Registered
371 Posts
It all depends on how you feel about it getting repaired. The right way to do it is to replace the head. After that, you can helicoil the damaged threaded holes but it's going to be less than fun with them being on the back of the engine but not impossible. (plenty of YouTube videos on doing this in case you want to see what you're up against)

The manifold studs aren't super high torque so helicoil should work out fine as long as they didn't ruin ALL of them.

I've had the manifold off of a few 4B11T engines for turbo upgrades and later cracked manifolds and never had any trouble with the exhaust studs in the head. The turbo to manifold hardware on the other hand, sucked.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would see the car in person and do a mechanical inspection.

As for the stripped threads I would just tap them and use helicoils like Splattj. I haven't seen helicoils fail yet, though it is possible they may weaken because of the heat from the exhaust. You can use key inserts if in doubt.

Also, getting to the back there is a pain. If it was me I would pull the head since I'd rather not lie on top of the engine for a day trying to wiggle around with the non existent space back there trying to drill and tap something I can't even see properly. If you are unlucky you might even drill them slanted since the head is made with rather soft material. With the head pulled you can do a better job and also check the condition piston, valves, etc while you are at it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would see the car in person and do a mechanical inspection.
If it was me I would pull the head since I'd rather not lie on top of the engine for a day trying to wiggle around with the non existent space back there trying to drill and tap something I can't even see properly. If you are unlucky you might even drill them slanted since the head is made with rather soft material. With the head pulled you can do a better job and also check the condition piston, valves, etc while you are at it.
Yeah, I know some people that are spatial wizards and can do stuff like that on a car. I can drill a hole crooked with a drill press so, personally, I'll pull parts off and use a machine shop for things like stripped out threads or broken off bolts that need to be drilled out!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I personally would never buy a vehicle I can't start up. Could be countless amount of other issues on the vehicle.
You still have to worry about if the head is actually good the block, tranny,diff,transfer case, AYC pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts