1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, my evo is up for the 30k miles service, on the service schedule there are 2 check boxes for rear axle oil

† Change rear axle oil (differential part and torque transfer part).
† Change rear axle oil, with Limited Slip Diff.

Are these two the same thing or are they different?

Here's a link for the schedule pdf for reference

https://mcarsstatic.cachefly.net/pdf/owners/owners-manuals/2011MY Warranty Turbos Maintenance.pdf

Thank you very much
They're two different oils. You need to drain the oil using different drain plugs, then fill the oil using different fill plugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're two different oils. You need to drain the oil using different drain plugs, then fill the oil using different fill plugs.
i know, if you look at the schedule, the first box already has both mechanism and torque part listed, is that second box something different?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yes. The "torque mechanism" side is Diamond ATF SP3 fluid. The limited slip side is regular Mitsubishi LSD 90 gear lube. They are different

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, my evo is up for the 30k miles service, on the service schedule there are 2 check boxes for rear axle oil

† Change rear axle oil (differential part and torque transfer part).
† Change rear axle oil, with Limited Slip Diff.

Are these two the same thing or are they different?

Here's a link for the schedule pdf for reference

https://mcarsstatic.cachefly.net/pdf/owners/owners-manuals/2011MY Warranty Turbos Maintenance.pdf

Thank you very much
Were you ever able to truly identify if these 2 items were actually different? Or if the one stating “lsd” is technically included in the other task? So confusing.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Were you ever able to truly identify if these 2 items were actually different? Or if the one stating “lsd” is technically included in the other task? So confusing.
They are different

Driver side is the LSD (requires gear oil)
Passenger side is the AYC (requires SPIII specification ATF)

Fill plug for the LSD is on the front of the differential, driver side, behind the driveshaft flange. 17MM box end wrench required
Fill plug for the AYC is on the rear of the differential, it will say "OIL" on it. Accessible through the subframe.

Both drain plugs are 10MM allen head sockets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts