Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning all.

I've been reading every thread that talks about "quiet" exhausts for the past two years. I've noticed a common theme among the opinions. "not bad at all" meaning it still not perfect to me. I am to old for noise and compromise, but not too old for power. :D

Here is the deal, I want zero highway droning... period. I had an 08 with Perrin TBE with HFC (all perrin) and on long trips the drone would get to you. I loved the sound of it otherwise.

I am not looking stock quiet for idle and WOT, but on long drives I just don't want to hear droning. I think I am asking for the impossible, but you never know.

It appears the HKS Legamax, T1R Sparrow, MXP, Magnaflow/Buschur Crossflow, might be top contenders.

Based on the above criteria, what is out there that is very quiet with 2.75-3" diameter piping? Or do I just leave the stock axelback? Not sure how that would choke off exhaust flow.

A few years ago, I used a QTP DP on a IX with stock catback and it was just about the best of both worlds. Only issue was you had to manually open it up.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You could get a testpipe, or hfc. Then, mod the stock muffler (there is a thread on here with details on that). From what Ive heard, the noise level is at or near stock level, with extra flow for powa. Check it out.

·
Registered
879 Posts
From personal experience I can say that the Buschur Crossflow is NOT quiet at all with a test pipe and drones bad at hwy speeds. The HKS legamax it's only a few db's louder then stock with a test pipe and does not drone at all at hwy speeds but it's the same size piping as the stocker and the muffler starts to look burned/discolored after just a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Fujitsubo Legalis R. Quiet when it needs to be, beautiful quality/fitment and it looks good too.
I had one on my X but replaced it with something a little less civilized. The wife still has one on her X though and I do sometimes miss the 'noticable only when I want to be' nature of it.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
You may want to look into the Ultimate Racing Dual Exit. You can add mufflers in the midpipe as an option. They also offer a test pipe with a ceramic high flow cat.
Don't know why this is being suggested at all, I've been in a few Evo X's with this exact exhaust and I've driven behind said Evos plenty. Both on the road from driving behind and in the cabin I can tell you this is one of the loudest exhausts I've heard. Tomei is obviously louder because nothing's louder than the obnoxious Tomei :p

I can guarantee, however, that you'll get an almost COMPLETELY SILENT highway cruise with the full AMS single-exit turbo-back (downpipe, non-resonated test pipe, single exit cat-back) exhaust from 73mph to 75mph. It's very annoying in the 60's, and not too bad near 80, but if you cruise at 74mph it is SILENT. Not sure if that's out of your normal range or if you don't feel safe driving at that speed depending on the cops in your area, etc... but it is silent.

This is for GSR gearing btw, there's probably a different speed sweet spot for the 6spd, but I'm sure it's there. No idea what RPM that corresponds to, I just know I cruise at 73-75mph to make a nice n quiet ride for passengers and sometimes myself.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a regular test pipe onmy T1R cat back and it does not drone one bit. Sometimes i would like a louder exhaust but coming from a UR duel exit and the droning that had at any speed on the highway, its just not for my DD.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Might want to check out the ETS quiet exhaust. I despise droning and have experienced none with the ETS, even on highway. Still is loud, especially above 80, but no drone. I'm currently running and AMS high flow cat, that is to be replaced with an Ultimate Racing muffled test pipe. When I had the stock cat on with the ETS, was about as quiet as I could possibly imagine a catback for our cars could be.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Don't know why this is being suggested at all, I've been in a few Evo X's with this exact exhaust and I've driven behind said Evos plenty. Both on the road from driving behind and in the cabin I can tell you this is one of the loudest exhausts I've heard. Tomei is obviously louder because nothing's louder than the obnoxious Tomei :p

I can guarantee, however, that you'll get an almost COMPLETELY SILENT highway cruise with the full AMS single-exit turbo-back (downpipe, non-resonated test pipe, single exit cat-back) exhaust from 73mph to 75mph. It's very annoying in the 60's, and not too bad near 80, but if you cruise at 74mph it is SILENT. Not sure if that's out of your normal range or if you don't feel safe driving at that speed depending on the cops in your area, etc... but it is silent.

This is for GSR gearing btw, there's probably a different speed sweet spot for the 6spd, but I'm sure it's there. No idea what RPM that corresponds to, I just know I cruise at 73-75mph to make a nice n quiet ride for passengers and sometimes myself.
That's interesting, I've only heard ones with all of the upgraded mufflers in the midpipe and it really wasn't loud. Thank you for letting me know though, I'll make sure to recommend a different one for a quiet exhaust!

ETS stuff is great quality and the offer the V2 Quiet System.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
That's interesting, I've only heard ones with all of the upgraded mufflers in the midpipe and it really wasn't loud. Thank you for letting me know though, I'll make sure to recommend a different one for a quiet exhaust!
If asked about "deep, rumbly, burbly" then this is perfect. It has an awesome low burble sound that I haven't heard on any other exhaust. They also sell their stuff at very reasonable prices.

The downsides I've seen time and time again (like I said I've seen quite a few of these dual exits in my day) is that it's annoyingly loud after you get over the initial "OMG I LOVE MY NEW EXHAUST" phase, and the weld/materials/build quality on UR is horrid. Looks nice and all, but don't be fooled. Their stuff is brittle beyond belief.

·
Registered
321 Posts
not to bash UR but the flanges aren't made of stainless and so they will rust. my experience with rusty flanges is that if you have to unbolt it from time to time you have sand the flange to get it nice and flush with the gaskets again or else you will have a soar throat and dry eyes from all the exhaust leaks. i have a magnaflow catback, with test pipe and 02 downpipe, test and its deep but loud and it drones. its gotten alot worse with front engine mount. Look into MAP's varex muffler seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
Look at the LiteSpec titanium single. It's within 2dBa of stock levels.

Unfortunately it's 80mm tubing, which is outside (larger then) your 2.75-3" range. It's also ~40 Lbs lighter than the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I used to have a MagnaFlow CBE on the car last year, and was very quiet for what it was.
At WOT it opened up a bit, and to be honest i think i might move back to it, unless i find something else.
For the price, you cant beat it.

The only thing i didnt like about it was the slip fits. You have to put a couple of welds were it connects so it doesn't move around.

Currently, i have the Tomei, and while the sound it produces is unlike i have heard before (Awesome) its a bit much on the highway, unless like Frankiago stated, you are in the sweet spot, about 70-75MPH.

The Akrapovic is great though. If you have the money, i would def. recommend it.
Is it worth the 4k? I would say it is from the build materials used, as well as it is the last exhaust you will probably buy.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I used to have a MagnaFlow CBE on the car last year, and was very quiet for what it was.
At WOT it opened up a bit, and to be honest i think i might move back to it, unless i find something else.
For the price, you cant beat it.

The only thing i didnt like about it was the slip fits. You have to put a couple of welds were it connects so it doesn't move around.

Currently, i have the Tomei, and while the sound it produces is unlike i have heard before (Awesome) its a bit much on the highway, unless like Frankiago stated, you are in the sweet spot, about 70-75MPH.

The Akrapovic is great though. If you have the money, i would def. recommend it.
Is it worth the 4k? I would say it is from the build materials used, as well as it is the last exhaust you will probably buy.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.