Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, I got my X at the beggining of may. Im planing on taking it to my first SCCA Pro Solo event coming up in may 31st. I suspect the car will have over 1000 miles, but probably no 1st oil change.

You guys think its too soon to autox the car? like i mentioned this is going to be my first time racing. Im doing a driver's school in the morining and the actual event the following day.

These scca events set up courses that are max like 80 sec runs. I think by the end of the weekend, I'd put the car under 7 minutes of actual racing. My uncle who's been autoxing for a long time, says not to worry. The car would be pass the factory break in period... plus the stress that an autox will put on the car doesnt really come close to really getting on the vehicle.

So my question is do you guys think it would be that bad to follow through with this event?

:peepwall:

· Registered
156 Posts
Why not?!

If it makes you happy, why not?! The car should have its clutch broke it and it's not to shy of what I normally send a vehicle through a weekend of road racing. Just take good care of her and ENJOY! Cars, after all, are meant to be driven. :shades:

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'd like to change it before hand but it may not be worth it. I have to drive about 150 miles out to get to the event. Thats where i suspect to hit a lil over 1000 miles. I plan on making that judgment closer to the date, to see exactly how many miles the car has before that weekend.

· Registered
375 Posts
if ur past 600 miles, change the oil.
just a suggestion
enjoy the races, if you know of any road course type tracks near Charlotte NC, can you lemme know?
Is there somewhere I can go to ran solo laps, so I don't have to worry about others ramming my X, or is that what AutoX is.
Pardon the newbie Q's.

· Registered
939 Posts
Go and enjoy yourself. Take it serious but have fun with it and you will see a marked improvement over the day. Don't worry about the effects on the car. It's brand new, it can take it.

Auto-x is a slalom course in which you run solo on the track trying to get the best time against yourself and the other cars in your class.

I plan on doing an auto-x event mid-july and I'll only have just over 1000 miles too, no worries about it at all.

· Registered
375 Posts
any track picks?

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
auto x is basically a big lot with a course set up with cones. So the tracks are different at every event. go to www.scca.com, thats one of the largest sporting groups. You can check pro solo events locally that they host.. or get a link to a different club near you. The worst thing that happens with auto x is you hit a cone or 2. nothing detrimental. some ppl tape up there bumpers, just for the fact of saving some time of rubbing the rubber skid marks cones will leave on your car. They're very safe events. Its mainly an agility course, and it comes down to the driver more so than the car. Top speeds you'll hit wont be over 70mph, and a run lasts from about 60 - 90 seconds depending on the track.

As far as saftey and stress on the car, running aroung a road course is by far more dangerous. Not that i have much experience in either areas.

But it looks well, I'm more confident going into the event as far as if the car is ready or not. I would like to get the oil changed before the event... but my milage or staus of the oil may not make it worth it. I'd deffinitly get it changed after the event.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i too am about to do my first auto x with this car. Mine is sunday. Right now i am trying to figure out what class i am going to run. I am thinking STS or STU. what class did the Evo IV run?

Evo's run A Stock unless you've modded your car.

here's a few quick links from their site.

Classes out of the Factory:
http://scca.com/documents/Solo Rules/2008_Stock_Category_Classifications_By_Manufacturer.pdf

Class modifications:
http://scca.com/documents/Solo Rules/solo_categories.pdf

· Registered
10,012 Posts
nice pics. go hard.. and when youve gone hard.. go harder..

· Premium Member
3,613 Posts
auto x is basically a big lot with a course set up with cones. So the tracks are different at every event. go to www.scca.com, thats one of the largest sporting groups. You can check pro solo events locally that they host.. or get a link to a different club near you. The worst thing that happens with auto x is you hit a cone or 2. nothing detrimental. some ppl tape up there bumpers, just for the fact of saving some time of rubbing the rubber skid marks cones will leave on your car. They're very safe events. Its mainly an agility course, and it comes down to the driver more so than the car. Top speeds you'll hit wont be over 70mph, and a run lasts from about 60 - 90 seconds depending on the track.

As far as saftey and stress on the car, running aroung a road course is by far more dangerous. Not that i have much experience in either areas.

But it looks well, I'm more confident going into the event as far as if the car is ready or not. I would like to get the oil changed before the event... but my milage or staus of the oil may not make it worth it. I'd deffinitly get it changed after the event.
Shapdog, 60-90 seconds is actually a fairly long autox course and most ProSolo events average about 30-35 seconds as it is 2 mirror courses on the same lot. A friend of mine once described autox as a horizontal roller-coaster.

As to the oil change, definitely do so beforehand. While autox is the lowest stress motorsport you can participate in, a full day of runs is still a workout.

What tires will you be using? If R-compounds, make sure you take care of them. Most only last 100-150 runs and you can easily put on 30+ runs at a school. If you are using your original tires, be aware that they won't grip as well and you'll want to replace them much sooner.

I'm heading down to the Atlanta DoubleX event this weekend, which is a variation on the ProSolo theme and then I'm on the DC SCCA Solo committee and helping to run the DC ProSolo.

Congrats on the car and good luck w/ the school. :)

· Premium Member
3,613 Posts
thanks for the link. I was thinking B stock but A stock looks fine. The competition doesn't look too bad as long as they are stock.
In SCCA classing,the only items you can change in stock class are the front swaybar, shocks, and you can run DOT-legal tires on stock size rims.

This year my bf is co-driving a B Stock RX-8 and I'm running a H Stock Protege5.

· Premium Member
3,613 Posts
As far as too soon: I know 2 Shelby GTs that were purchased only to be autoxed, and sit on a trailer 90% of the time. They were both purchased last year and one of them is up to 450 miles now. Took it in to the dealership for a regular check and when they ran the computer, it said the car was averaging 5mpg. The tech thought something must surely be wrong, but the owner said, "Don't touch it!!! It's just fine..." :D But neither car is a daily driver and they're willing and able to handle it if anything happened to their cars at an event.

· Registered
589 Posts
In SCCA classing,the only items you can change in stock class are the front swaybar, shocks, and you can run DOT-legal tires on stock size rims.

This year my bf is co-driving a B Stock RX-8 and I'm running a H Stock Protege5.
With my 350Z i run B stock, and although there a few things you can change, they make a huge difference. I changed class because i was racing against an Rx-8 and M3 on r Compound with suspension and front sway bar. So although the mods are small, i seem to be more evenly matched when i run in the stu classes with the Z.

Cant wait for sunday though :rock:

· Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Evos are awesome in STU. We have one that is co-driven here and just kicks ass. :D

I'll be driving a STS2 Miata on R-comps this weekend in CSP. Should be fun. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.