Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a rookie 09 Ralliart owner and just had an issue come up and was wondering if I'd be able to get some advice/input.

Background:
I've been dailying the car for a good year or so now with little to no issues, Transmission fluid and filter was flushed & replaced with OEM around 7000kms ago and the services have always been done on time.
The only mods done to the car are a simple drop in air filter and that's it.

I was driving the car home yesterday with no issues, but this morning when I went to start it, it had a really rough start before idling normally and I just let it idle normally up to temperature for around 10 minutes. Then when I went to drive, the issues arose. The car isn't shifting in either automatic modes (Sport or Normal) and using the manual shifting, it's completely skipping second, and fourth gear. It briefly flashed the 'Slow Down' with the transmission icon aswell on the dash before shifting itself very chaoticly and I pulled over before just driving the car home and parking it.

Anyone with more experience have any suggestions on what the check for / do in this situation? Or what it could potentially be? I'd appreciate any input or advice.

Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
293 Posts
The car isn't shifting in either automatic modes (Sport or Normal) and using the manual shifting, it's completely skipping second, and fourth gear. It briefly flashed the 'Slow Down' with the transmission icon aswell on the dash before shifting itself very chaoticly and I pulled over before just driving the car home and parking it.

Anyone with more experience have any suggestions on what the check for / do in this situation? Or what it could potentially be? I'd appreciate any input or advice.

Thank you so much in advance!
Welcome to the forums fellow SST owner.

Not sure if you got any answers so far, but what you described there is pretty token of the infamous shift fork magnet failure, where one of the magnets dislodges itself and prevents odd gears from engaging. It could be other things like valve body as well, but good chance your shift fork is loose, especially since you said you replaced the fluid recently and it's unlikely the fluid is dirty now.

If you replaced the fluid with OEM Diaqueen, then it might be time for a rebuild. Since you're in NA you have a few options. I don't remember the name of the shop in Canada but there is one who's known for working on SSTs. Otherwise, Kozmic and SSP are the next best options you have.If you decide to go that route pick a shop wisely, majority of them have no idea how our transmission works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums fellow SST owner.

Not sure if you got any answers so far, but what you described there is pretty token of the infamous shift fork magnet failure, where one of the magnets dislodges itself and prevents odd gears from engaging. It could be other things like valve body as well, but good chance your shift fork is loose, especially since you said you replaced the fluid recently and it's unlikely the fluid is dirty now.

If you replaced the fluid with OEM Diaqueen, then it might be time for a rebuild. Since you're in NA you have a few options. I don't remember the name of the shop in Canada but there is one who's known for working on SSTs. Otherwise, Kozmic and SSP are the next best options you have.If you decide to go that route pick a shop wisely, majority of them have no idea how our transmission works.
Hi, and thank you!

Fluid & Filter were both replaced with OEM so that shouldn't be the issue.
And yeah, the shift fork seems to be the issue from checking codes and doing various bits of research. I believe I found a place about an hour from me that an MR owner had his rebuilt by and they've got a good bit of experience with SST's, just talking to them and getting to know them better before getting anything done, but so far they seem decent! I've heard of Kozmic and SSP and I'm still looking into potentially sending it out. If you remember the name of that shop let me know!

Thanks a ton for the reply! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have the option of grabbing a used SST Transmission out of another Ralliart that's being parted out near me with around 59,___K. My only concern is if that had prior issues considering the vehicle is a salvage (hence why it's being parted out.) Also wasn't sure if getting it rebuilt would just be a better / more reliable option either way?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I also have the option of grabbing a used SST Transmission out of another Ralliart that's being parted out near me with around 59,___K. My only concern is if that had prior issues considering the vehicle is a salvage (hence why it's being parted out.) Also wasn't sure if getting it rebuilt would just be a better / more reliable option either way?
Sorry to hear but sounds like you were on the right track with the troubleshooting.

I believe the shop's name is SJL Custom out in Calgary, hopefully that helps. I don't know much about them but hear good things in the SST owners FB group.
The idea of going with a used transmission is solid, but I think it depends; you can get a transmission that never has this issue again or it could happen again. Safest bet is to get it fixed for good with the billet shift fork magnet so you know you'll get a solid one for good. Neither will be cheap though, but you know what they say about paying once and crying once...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear but sounds like you were on the right track with the troubleshooting.

I believe the shop's name is SJL Custom out in Calgary, hopefully that helps. I don't know much about them but hear good things in the SST owners FB group.
The idea of going with a used transmission is solid, but I think it depends; you can get a transmission that never has this issue again or it could happen again. Safest bet is to get it fixed for good with the billet shift fork magnet so you know you'll get a solid one for good. Neither will be cheap though, but you know what they say about paying once and crying once...
Haha yeah, seems like it unfortunately.

And awesome! Thanks, I'll check them out. I'll look into the options with the used one and I'll talk to a few shops and get some opinions!

Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just adding some things here, stored trans codes were P0702 (Internal control module, monitoring processor system (Malfunction) ) and P1637 (EEPROM System (diagnosis code storing malfunction). The Active codes were p184b (Shift fork 4 malfunction) and P1834 (Shift fork position sensor 4 system (Neutral) ). Erased the codes and only P184b still remains for trans codes. The only other code is u0197 for the telephone control module, most of the systems connected to the tcm is displaying u0197 code but it's been a long term issue that hasn't seemed to affected anything. The first 3 codes seem to point towards either shift fork 4 magnet or replacing the mechatronic. However the car does have around 190,000km and clutches or seals haven't been replaced yet which apparently could also trigger p184b sometimes. Any info regarding this stuff would be much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts