Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering trying rallyx in my Ralliart, but I also really don't want to mess anything up with it since it's my daily driver. So, I'm wondering if anyone has any input as far as how rough it is on the car. I've read around and opinions seem to vary quite a bit, and I guess a lot of it also depends on the venue (which is another question, since there are a bunch of venues about the same distance from me).

If I decide to try it, what should I do to minimize the possibility of damage? I was thinking I'd get a skid plate and also cover some of the panels with clear film paint protection, but not sure what else. Are dings and paint damage inevitable or can they be avoided somehow?

I'd like to get a another cheap car for it so I don't have to worry, but I'm probably a year or two off from being able to do so (and I'd also like to try it first). I can just wait though depending on how rough it will be on the car.

Anyway, any advice or input would be appreciated.

·
[Rally Driving Madman]
2,500 Posts
don't do it, buy a cheap beater use that. will make more sense financially, and for fun too, since you don't have to hold it back.

I suggest something like an older Subaru WRX FWD or Golf GTI or anything similar.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah my plan was to get something cheap but I won't be able to do that for another year or two (don't have the space right now and have some other projects I need to finish first). I was hoping it'd be okay to do a few events with my Ralliart in the meantime but maybe I'll just hold off until then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've rallyx'd my daily driver a few times. First my lowered mazdaspeed 3, now my '14 GSR. It's fine. Depending on your location most venues aren't very crazy. You're never gonna go off jumps or anything, most of my local events amount to driving around in a field. Is it more dangerous for your car than autox? Yes. But I wouldn't let it stop you. Just be prepared to possibly debead a tire/need body work.

But my car is meant to be driven ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input flawless1102. I wouldn't be too worried about debeading a tire unless it caused other damage to the car (I'd be running my winter wheels/tires that I don't care too much about and switching them at the event). Body work doesn't sound fun though. What kind of damage have you had (or seen on other cars) from doing it?

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
We don't get a lot of Mitsubishis in this area, not sure why, just don't. But if you hit a rut wrong, you could pop some of the plastic clips that hold your fender liners in and bumpers on. Or you build up mud in the wheel wells and the weight damages body pieces. We did a rallyx at VIR and tore the rear bumper, but that was not an SCCA club and we were pushing the car on a very rough course.

If you don't push the car, you should be fine, and give it a good wash afterwards. In PA, BMR SCCA has a decent program and I think they have 1 or 2 more events before their season wraps up. SUSQ SCCA is further away for you, but they'll start their season soon. DC was running in Frostburg for a couple of years, but we're running at a VA site again this year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply. Susquehanna is actually the closest one to me (that I know of at least). They have a school next month so I think that might be a good starting point for me.

How rough is the rally farm? From the videos I've seen the courses look fun there, pretty long and fast.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
I would say not too rough. We haven't put a skid plate on this car yet and it's had no issues. The Rally Farm is a lot of fun and it's less than 40 min from me, which is also awesome. The courses are on average 90 seconds, and some folks do top out 2nd gear in some courses. Our first event was re-scheduled to next weekend as there was standing water and don't want to destroy the surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts