Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, long story short......made a mistake and ow my rear diff is toast......again. There won't be another case like this for me because I'm going to make sure it gets done right. So, I will start this thread and share pictures with you guys with what I find and stuff. Along the way, I will learn this shit and hopefully not fuck it up lol. If any one has tips and stuff, let me hear them. I can use all the help I can get.

So, the rear locked up on me during logging/break in. I got it towed home and pulled the drain plugs. This plug is from the gear side

Pulled the diff and thought about my options

Said fuck it. What's the worst that can happen. This is where the fun starts.

This is the gear side

Here is the clutch pack side

I had the clutches out but temp installed them before I got pics. When I go to reassemble everything, I will get some pics of all that shit

Looked in the gear side and found this nice little surprise

That is the pinion. And go figure, it's the most expensive part to buy lol. I'm sure the rest in there is fucked, I just have to figure out ow to get it out

Here's the inside with some metal shavings

And here is the gear out of the housing. Still not sure how to remove it all the way. I'm guessing it has to be pressed out

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No oil was put in the gear side. Gear oil was put in the ATF side and the gear side was bone dry lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is that a small hole I see inside the diff??

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
236 Posts
Edit

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
That'll do it. Is the gear itself screwed or can you get away with just installing a new bearing?

When you clean everything clean it religiously. I use a siphon spray nozzle with solvent to spray and break the metal loose from the housing. Then follow with a blow nozzle with air. Repeat a few times take a white rag and wipe. If you get metal you still have more cleaning to do.

Those diffs might be small enough to slap in a parts washer and let it go to town too. Or set in a solvent tank and attack it.

Go over every gear and bearing with a fine tooth comb. Usually have pick in hand to scrap the gear for any wear or bites. Kinda like if you can catch your nail or pick on it; it will need replaced. When in doubt change it. Good luck man. Those rear ends are easy to screw up but easy once learned.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I always have trouble setting backlash. Takes me forever.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that a small hole I see inside the diff??

No. You are either seeing the drain plug or little pieces of metal on the housing.

That'll do it. Is the gear itself screwed or can you get away with just installing a new bearing?

When you clean everything clean it religiously. I use a siphon spray nozzle with solvent to spray and break the metal loose from the housing. Then follow with a blow nozzle with air. Repeat a few times take a white rag and wipe. If you get metal you still have more cleaning to do.

Those diffs might be small enough to slap in a parts washer and let it go to town too. Or set in a solvent tank and attack it.

Go over every gear and bearing with a fine tooth comb. Usually have pick in hand to scrap the gear for any wear or bites. Kinda like if you can catch your nail or pick on it; it will need replaced. When in doubt change it. Good luck man. Those rear ends are easy to screw up but easy once learned.
Thanks for the advise. I have access to a parts washer at work so maybe I can just use it.

I've heard of that happening a few times.
I haven't. Ad it sucks that it happened to me. Already paid 1100 for a rebuild earlier this year. Noe I get to do this shit all over again

I always have trouble setting backlash. Takes me forever.

Backlash can be a bitch, but I do things like this at work too. I should be able to handle this. These gears are much bigger than what I am used to at my job. I just want to get it right and move on. If all else fails and I just can't seem to do it, I will send it to jacks and have them work their magic.

Anyone know anything about the cusco RS 1.5way rear diff? I read a thread on it but was wondering if it would be worth it. $1500 is hefty but I already have the diff apart too.

·
[Local Team Member], aka JDAVID-EVO X
16,650 Posts
That sucks! I jus did the fluid change on both and the gear oil was pretty much gone (never replaced fluids, now 64k done)

Good luck getting that bitch back together. Hey at least you have work to get done after ur mission :)

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Who did the oils?
That doesn't matter. What's done is done. It's my fault for not double checking.

That sucks! I jus did the fluid change on both and the gear oil was pretty much gone (never replaced fluids, now 64k done)

Good luck getting that bitch back together. Hey at least you have work to get done after ur mission :)
That's not a good thing lol. I want a working car. I'll make sure I get it done, and done right this time.

·
16,650 Posts
That doesn't matter. What's done is done. It's my fault for not double checking.

That's not a good thing lol. I want a working car. I'll make sure I get it done, and done right this time.
I know lol poor diff. I remember you having problems the first time now this OUCH!

YOU GONNA BE USING REDLINE 75W-90NS for the gear oil??

AmsOil makes the ATF for our cars too but synthetic , check it out!

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I have MTL for the gear oil and I think royal purple for the ATF fluid. I'll check out the amsoil stuff for sure though. Whatever jacks recommends is what I will go with

·
16,650 Posts
Ok Loca! Jacks recommends redline for the gear oil, specially if u track the car.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know I don't track. I just pose......I'm the ricer of this forum

1 - 20 of 103 Posts