Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am coming from the M3 side of things and I'm new to the EVOs. I have a 2010 GSR and want to get 400 awhp/400 awtq and keep her as a DD. I am looking at FP Red, cams, rods, pistons, fuel pump, injectors ... (help me if I am missing anything). I want her fun, reliable and to last me the next 5(+) years.
I did research and found a couple other threads for 400 + but nothing really answered my questions.
With an EVO, is 400whp/400wtq going to be a reliable DD? My brother has an 2010 STI and has 400whp/410/wtq and is trying to get me to sell and buy an STI. I have some money to put into this project. Please give me some advise and guidance. Thanks guys!:drive:

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
The T case alone isn't designed to withstand 400 ft lbs. I suppose anything could be reliable with the correct modifications and tune.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That is a great deal from Jacks, but I doubt they offer it for the X yet. That's not a X case in the pic, it's a 8 or 9.

Right now there are few upgrades other than a front diff (Cusco, Wave-Tec, Ralliart, etc.) They are usually always Torsen diffs with the exception of a plate type in the Ralliart. They are all $2000+.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
the price is nice as hell. but i don think want to exceed 350wtq. but thnx man. good to know
Ive heard different stories here and there i believe safely the T-case can hold under 400wtq, as long as your under that with a good tune your fine. If im wrong someone chime in for the correction

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
That's odd. I thought the motor's limit was 400 wtq (depending on dyno). Never knew it mattered for the transfer-case as well.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The T-Case is a question mark on power. There are three components in it to rate power on:

1) Ring and pinion
2) Front diff
3) ACD

Mostly when people talk about HP or torque for the T-Case they are referring to the "launching" power the ring and pinion can take. It's also always referring to a 5mt since you can wind it up and drop the clutch. SST actually protects the driveline better than the 5mt can.

The front diff and ACD are what road racers and rally guys talk about. The stock front helical diff is crappy in that regards, it is not really rated for big power. It chatters on hard corners with big power and low vehicle weight.

The ACD is a unkown, it's a speed differential governing brake so it has a limit. Most 600hp monsters are not on the road race circuit so we might not know anything yet, it does not take as much abuse in a straight line as it does in a curve.

·
Registered
818 Posts
What really kills evo is the torque. The more torque a car has the less reliable it becomes.

You will be able to reach 400 whp with ease however 400+ wtq is quite impossible for DD as you will need to hit close to 460whp with it. I would say 420 is the cut off when it comes to DD. The T stand isnt able to handle 400 to the ground unless upgraded and that costs an arm and a leg plus you will need (if SST) upgraded clutch packs.

STI's have an easier path of getting 400+ wtq as their engine is a 2.5 boxer one not a 2.0. that .5 liter does the trick for them.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
@TR6 I know their Tranny is fucking monster, but is their ACD strong as well?
Ours is bigger than theirs. I have big trouble believing the DCCD electro-mechanical center diff, which is their ACD, has much holding power. It's so small in diameter, maybe 4.5 inches, and just seems so much less substantial than our badass hydraulic units. That electromagnet is small to me, even if it is rare earth. Our ACD is big and meaty, more like 8 inches in diameter.

It seems pussy to me, look an how weanie the gears are.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Sigh...

There is no magical block whp/wtq number...

It's not like you hit that number the block self destructs... To me at least I think the safeness of any build lies in the tune...

I think those numbers you can achieve with these mods...

FP RED/Green
UICP
Intake
3 Port
TP
DP
CBE
FIC 1100
255 Wally

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
I would think use pattern also accounts for a lot. ie. a drag car making 400 whp is seeing a lot more stress than a 400whp road race car shifting properly when it comes to the diff/tranny. Granted....there are other parts of the car more stressed in road race than drag.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.