Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and found something close to what i wanted to know but 100%. I plan on getting a AMS Dp soon. I've been reading the nightmares of the 2 bolts to remove the 02 housing. My question is, are you able to remove the dp from the 02 housing, then unbolt the exhaust manifold from the block, all the hoses, lines and piping from the turbo and just pull the whole thing complete up through the engine bay?

If so, will the AMS DP slide down just as easy or will part of the frame or all that crap below get in the way?

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my theory is the little bit more work it takes to unbolt the manifold from the block and disconnecting everything from the turbo and pulling everything out, would make it easier to unbolt the 02 housing.

I've been hearing the average time to do the dp swap is about 6-7 hours...if i can keep everything together and pull out that way, shouldnt take more then 4 hours max.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Pulling up and out... I don't know about that broseph. It is raaather toite. I tried wiggling my exhaust manifold alone out through the top but I was c-blocked. I gave up and bolted it back on.

Might be possible, but I have to agree with it being easier to drop out from under instead of pulling it through the top.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
I dont have to worry about the bolts being rusted, the car is only 2200km's old..lol.
you will still need the PB blaster to loosen up those bolts. just think of how many heat cycles they have been through

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
true..lol. Well i guess ill give it a shot when i get the pipe. Just thought it would be easier to pulling it all out together and swaping the dps then putting it back in.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Just take the mani off, then do the DP. I just did it about 2 weeks ago and it took all of 1 hour. I had put anti-seize on prior but it should still be fairly easy and quick. And yes, PB blaster is your best friend

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Remove it from the bottom. Hit it with good penetrating lube overnight like chet said. as a matter of fact, drown the bolts. Also get a box ended ratchet wrench with the flex end. It's a pain, but it'll come out.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
Remove it from the bottom. Hit it with good penetrating lube overnight like chet said. as a matter of fact, drown the bolts. Also get a box ended ratchet wrench with the flex end. It's a pain, but it'll come out.
im gonna have 3 cans of PB blaster and im going to drench mine for 2 days before i install my MAP dump dp. at almost 58k miles, its not going to come off easy

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
im gonna have 3 cans of PB blaster and im going to drench mine for 2 days before i install my MAP dump dp. at almost 58k miles, its not going to come off easy
Most of them are pretty easy. There's one tricky one and the blind bolt is a witch. You just can't get good leverage on them. That's why pb is key. The more extensions and universals you use, the less torque will make it to the fastener. This makes it harder to get the bolt free. You may consider using impact extensions with wobble ends. They are hardened and much more rigid than standard extensions. Once a bolt breaks free its smooth sailing.

Oh, and watch out for heat shields. They're punch or stamped out; so their edges are sharp. Nothing like having pb a rust in open wounds.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, and i am ASSuming OP's mods, but isn't it pretty much pointless to run a dp on a stock turbo? I feel your money/time would be better spent on more useful and rewarding mods.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, and i am ASSuming OP's mods, but isn't it pretty much pointless to run a dp on a stock turbo? I feel your money/time would be better spent on more useful and rewarding mods.
if you think so

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

sure thing there bud.

Also for now my mod list is K&N drop in and a T1R resinated Test pipe. And im planning on buying the dp from a local member shortly.

I head to Afghanistan in October and when i return in July...the following will be waiting for me...

AMS intercooler
AMS Upper/Lower Intercooler pipe with TiAL BOV
AMS Short Ram Intake
ETS V2 Exhaust
Custom Dyno Tune
Along with new suspension set up.

Once i get bored of that ill be building the engine and going with a FP Red turbo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's not hard to do the down pipe. It takes about an hour to do, if your cars that new you shouldnt have a problem with rusty stuck bolts but spray them anyways. The time it takes to do the job is related your ability to work on cars. All you Need is a 14mm flex head gear wrench, and the ratchet with 10mm 14mm and some extensions. Easy

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
It's not hard to do the down pipe. It takes about an hour to do, if your cars that new you shouldnt have a problem with rusty stuck bolts but spray them anyways. The time it takes to do the job is related your ability to work on cars. All you Need is a 14mm flex head gear wrench, and the ratchet with 10mm 14mm and some extensions. Easy
what city you live?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts