Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

New member here, I went to help a friend fix his car today, 2009 Ralliart
His serpentine belt snapped this morning, so we replaced it with what a local automotive shop had (continental belt), the belt fit perfectly.

Car cranks but will not start, put a new battery it in and it still will not start.

Please see the video attached to see that the belt is moving freely.

My thoughts:
  • timing chain might need to be replaced.
  • fuel pump
  • spark plugs or coils.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Video link: Engine start video

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you say doesnt start. Do you mean nothing at all. Does the car crank over but wont start. Or you turn the key to start and nothing happens. Need more details.if it cranks but doesnt start. Start with the basic.check spark,fuel, things like that. Got a scanner?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say doesnt start. Do you mean nothing at all. Does the car crank over but wont start. Or you turn the key to start and nothing happens. Need more details.if it cranks but doesnt start. Start with the basic.check spark,fuel, things like that. Got a scanner?
Are you able to view the linked video in my original post?

car cranks but will not start.

I have not changed changed plugs or anything, the car was running this morning but the serp belt snapped so the car was parked and we changed the belt. Now the car won’t start. Given that this happened at the same time as the belt, I think it must be related.

I will check the fuel pump relay tomorrow and will try to see if I can hear the fuel pump (under back seat). I’m out of ideas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took a look again and can’t find any damaged wires or u plugged connectors.

i checked the fuel pump relay, (see picture), it definetly does not pass the salt shaker tester however I swapped it with the high beam relay and the high beams worked. Car still does not start.

I cannot seem to hear the fuel pump prine when turning the ignition on, will try to check fuel pump.

Any other ideas guys? I’m at a loss here.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Might have flooded it? tell him to put the gas pedal to the floor as hard as he can and try to start it...if that doesn't work disconnect your injectors and try to fire it up..if it's flooded it will start up and burn up all the excess fuel..since the belt snapped I would be checking really hard in that area for any frayed/damaged connectors/wires though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you get it fixed PeterG93? How many miles does you car have? Sounds very similar to my situation recently. My belt belt snapped off due to a bad tensioner pulley. Had shop replace the pulley and install new belt. Was fine for a while then parked car in garage. It sat for a few days and then refused to start. Here is my video. Ralliart Turbo won't start

Couldn't hear pump either so thought it went bad. It was in bad shape as the outer housing was cracked and the secure black ring was rusted out. Needed to be changed anyway, but still no start. Checked relays all were good. Cleaned spark plugs tried a few more times and eventually started. Was a loud pop/bang and could smell something burning and smoke started coming from underneath car. This is the video of noise afterwards u can hear something rattling/grinding. Ralliart Engine/Transmission Noise

The video isn't original crank and doesn't do it justice as it sounded much worse initially. Thought the engine/trans was gone at first.

Eventually had car towed to shop and turned out to be a bad starter. That is where the noise and smoke came from. Turned out starter was bad and was not fully disengaging. Could of started fire if I drove it like that. Mine is a 2010 with almost 140k miles. Wondering how many miles you have and if indeed your starter might be the culprit. It sounds just like mine when trying to start it in first video.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts