Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting tuned tomorrow and currently have 38,300 miles on the car. I figured it might be a good idea to replace the plugs prior to my tune. My buddy and I replaced them tonight with the OEM NGK plugs.

I'm not really sure how these are supposed to look after 38k miles.

How do these look?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Look more or less fine to me.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
looks fine to me...if they look like this, then u got issues...

Also just a fyi...NEVER USE E3 PLUGS!...these plugs were for my SRT-10, previous owner never changed the plugs (the one of the right) so at 80,000km it looked like that...i swapped to E3 plugs...after 3500km, 2 were mis-firing and burnt to a crisp.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You have to remember that reading plugs, like they did back in the day, (which was a Tuesday by the way) was not just to pull them out after the car had idled and cooled. They would do what is called a "motor or engine chop". Opperating temprature, WOT to redline and kill the motor. Reading a plug that has been at idle will look whiter since the motor is in more or less a 14.7 state.

I would just make sure there is no pitting on the electrode and ground and the insulation is not cracked and intact.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have 25k miles, and I'm changing mine with my oil change tomorrow. For $60 shipped for the NGKs, I figured that it couldn't hurt.

Edit: I'll try to get some pics of mine tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts