Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! I recently bought a 2015 evo X and I’ve got an issue with reverse gear. So old owner claims it has a new transmission and when it was installed, the “cable” wasn’t adjusted correctly. Shifts perfectly into all gears but when I try to shift to reverse, I have to yank it 5-6 times before it pops into gear. The gear doesn’t grind, and it doesn’t shift easier when the car is off. It’s all the same same. Is the old owner telling the truth? Is there a way to adjust it? I’ve tried researching but found little on the topic.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah, if you can get 2 people and make sure the shift tower isn't fouling on something under the hood. If it looks ok, you can try taking the cables off and engaging it manually from the shift tower to see if it's something in the gear box or cable/shifter related.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I’ve just set my phone under my hood and took a video of my shifting, it seems like nothings blocking it, could possibly be something inside the tranny that’s causing the issue? I’ve also tried manually shifting directly on the transmission where the cable is, still gotta yank it - I’ve also read it’s good to shift 1, 3, and then reverse since it “aligns” the gearing for reverse, but I still gotta yank it in, didn’t help much. I also understood the cable is not adjustable, do you guys think it’s worth just to replace the shift cable before digging into the transmission? Could it also be bushings?

·
Registered
332 Posts
That's why I recommended taking the cables off and trying to put it into reverse with the levers. If it won't go in reasonably from the shift tower, by hand with no cables on it then it's an issue inside the trans. If it works ok there, it could be a cable binding or a linkage issue on the shifter in the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts