Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
aka ityn
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my undertray installed today, and thought I'd post my thoughts and pictures.

Upon receiving the underpanel, I could immediately tell this was one sturdy piece... explains the big shipping bill (more on that later). I purchased this piece for one purpose: protection (both on and off the track). With this in mind, I can definitely say this piece is 10/10 for protection.

In addition to the protection, there are a few other things I like about this mod. I've always hated the plastic tabs, as there are never fun to remove (especially if you've been playing in the dirt). The process of removing them is very slow, especially since you can use a drill/gun to take off the bolts on the aluminum one.

The maintenance holes were spot on, so routine maintenance shouldn't be any more difficult than it has been. The one exception to this is the trans fluid, which doesn't get changed as often so I can live with this.

Downsides:
Shipping - This is one big piece, which makes the shipping bill :$:
Note: Kris from SSP said they were looking into making this a two piece which will help alot with the shipping.

Notching Required (as pointed out in the pics) - Personally, I would've rather had longer clips for these. However, I don't believe there are any bad side effects to the notching because of the clips. It doesn't look OEM, but it is under my car so no one really sees it.

No Instructions - Yes, this is an easy install. However, it is always nice to have a diagram or pictures to give you that piece of mind.
Note: Kris from SSP said instructions were not sent out because of a computer problem, and future orders will have pictures/instructions.

Onto the pics:
Here is the example of how the clips require notching for one panel on each side:

After notching:

Finished:

Sam, always giving his jobs second and third inspections:

Props to Jeremy and Kris for answering all my questions, and a great product. Most of all, props to Sam at B&S Service and Repair who is my local mechanic.

Sorry for the pic quality, they were all taken with my phone.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This looks pretty neat makes it look so clean underneath

·
aka ityn
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One downside that was pointed out to me was how difficult it will make dyno pulls. I guess I'll figure that out when I'm back on the dyno.

·
Registered
438 Posts
One downside that was pointed out to me was how difficult it will make dyno pulls. I guess I'll figure that out when I'm back on the dyno.
Sorry for my ingorance but why would this cause problems with dynos?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry for my ingorance but why would this cause problems with dynos?
The dyno might explode from the massive hp increase this undertray provides. :p

Disclaimer: Not bashing the SSP tray whatsoever. It's a good product.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
It is more difficult to strap the car down to the dyno with the panel on.
The panel limits the anchor points for straps.

SSP

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
I've been on the dyno a dozen times with the SSP panel on, tuner (Rob @ Kaizen) doesn't seem to have any issues with it.
:+1: I was there twice on a Mustang at CBRD...they did not mention it to be an issue at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts