Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Rickerman Tuning

9K views 58 replies 19 participants last post by  chetrickerman 
#1 ·
So me and my buddy finished the install on my MAP EF3 today. With my full mod list as follows :

AMS Front Mount
AMS Upper Intercooler Pipe
AMS Downpipe
AMS Test Pipe
Agency Power Cat Back
Cobb SF Intake
Grimmspeed 3Port
DW1000cc Injectors
DW65c Pump
MAP Short Runner Manifold
MAP EF3 Turbo

So after long contemplating on who I should carry my car to for tuning, I decided to go with the Almighty Chet Rickerman. As he said, after the install of the turbo, mani, injectors, and pump, my car wouldn't crank. Me knowing absolutely nothing about tuning and barely knowing how to get myself to EvoXForums operating a computer, He answers my phone call and talks me through everything step by step on how to and what to log and send to him. I'm sure he was probably face palming plenty with the idiotic and dumb questions I had since I'm so dumb with with tuning and any type of ECU software.

I just thought I'd make this thread so I can post up my results from beginning to end of this journey ahead and review for Chet. So far, so good though. It's just great how you can call or text with any type of question and he there almost any time of the day to help. But tomorrow i'll really start doing some logging once my wideband is soldered in.

Updates will be posted frequently.

See less See more
#3 ·
Wilson. About 30 min east of Raleigh.

#4 ·
Nice..I grew up in Fayetteville. Wilsons such a quiet lil town lol. I'll keep checking this thread for updates since i decided to go w/ an EF3 as well. EF2.5 just didnt look like it'd hit my end goal...oh yea OB FTW!

#5 ·
Congratulations!

You have a great car.
We studied hardeware solution chosen and I noticed injectors DW 1000, which are actually slightly higher in reality.
DW1000cc Injectors - I have left a bitter taste but hopefully they'll work well for you.
When possible, besides classical dyno chart with power and torque, also please to display AFR.

#9 ·
Yea, it's going great so far. Just getting the injectors dialed in right now though. I'm having issues getting my wideband to record though. I soldered it in (because I followed the steps in the thread for it), still having some issues though. Im sure Chet's gonna be able to help me out and get everything right though.

#10 ·
sounds like a solid setup man, sub'd for updates, cant wait to see some results. I'm in the beginning stages of tuning so any input I can grab is good.

#11 ·
Update : Chet's genius self figured out my wideband problem, and it was just the formula. We're still scaling the injectors in though. Im assuming / once they're done, we can begin making pulls. :)

#16 · (Edited)
Scaling takes time. You can't just "plug in" the latency values (although all of us tuner wish it was that easy!). Injectors are typically flow tested after manufacturing and injectors with similar latency and flow characteristics are packaged together. The exact same type of injector can require different settings to run right. The provided values are a good starting point, but typically you'll still have to make some adjustments.

#17 ·
Scaling takes time. You can't just "plug in" the latency values (although all of us tuner wish it was that easy!). Injectors are typically flow tested after manufacturing and injectors with similar latency and flow characteristics are packaged together. The exact same type of injector can require different settings to run right.
Out of curiosity, are some injectors easier to scale than others? I'm not talking about quality, I don't want to start an attack on the vendors....plus higher quality could mean more difficulty for all I know. But are some easier to work with than other from a tuner perspective?

#22 ·
Your EF3 is also ported while I have all standard options.

#23 ·
Should be finishing up the injectors scaling in a day or two depending on how busy I am with work and how many logs we can get done. We also ran into a problem where Evoscan isn't reading the same Air / Fuel that my wideband is, so we've gotta get that figured out and then we'll be on to WOT. :D:dancebanana:

#24 ·
^ If evoscan is off it's likely your formula is off again...it takes a couple adjustments to get it perfect lol. Sounds good man! Are you sending logs everyday or is it hit or miss due to work?

#25 ·
It is the formula. We're just trying to work it out and get it right. And we're logging everyday, multiple times a day.

#26 ·
Finished scaling the injectors tonight and begin WOT tomorrow probably. Wired the wideband in through a serial cable instead of worrying with the formula so that problem is also taken care of. :)

#29 ·
I do believe those are the same injectors. I didn't order them from DW's website so not 100%. Should be them unless they make a different 1000cc injectors for the Evo X?

And we couldn't get it to work reading it from the rear o2. Wired it in through the serial cable and now works fine.

#31 ·
Then yes, those are the ones I have.

#33 ·
#35 ·
#36 ·
That write up was great. And I found it much easier to do ( if you have a serial cable )

#37 ·
Hmmm.. glad to hear you guys are doing WOT now...i may do the serial thing too if it eleviates some headaches and cuts down on tune time trying to mess with the formulas..so you still have it hooked to the rear 02, but just use a serial cable to log it?

#42 ·
^ same here. Very convenient if you ask me.

#45 ·
Ok wait that confused me lol..I thought you had to have the UEGO Bosch sensor in the rear 02 (testpipe) if you didnt have an extra bung welded on somewhere else, and just disable the rear 02 in the ecu?... I did alot of reading on this today since i've been stuck in my room all day (due to my flight going back to the states getting delayed :() and i got a pretty good grasp on the whole blue-wire / black-wire female serial port to USB thing..

#47 ·
Ok wait that confused me lol..I thought you had to have the UEGO Bosch sensor in the rear 02 (testpipe) if you didnt have an extra bung welded on somewhere else, and just disable the rear 02 in the ecu?
Bosch .. I dunno. . . but if it's the same as the AEM, it has two connectors: 1 TO the O2 location; 2 TO serial & 12v. So both would be used. Pop you gauge sensor in the TP, and then serial used for other set of wires from gauge. (does that add to confusion?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.