Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Fosgate addon system has an input for Ipods? I thought I read somewhere that it does, but can't seem to find it and anything motor vehicles is locked while I'm at work. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
126 Posts
AFAIK there is no iPod system available for the Fosgate stereo. (i.e. like the ones from iceLink or USA Spec) However you should have a standard RCA jack behind a little door in the cubby in front of the shifter. With that you can use either an RCA to mini adapter like Chris posted or a iPod dock with the RCA output to connect the iPod to the stereo. Personally I'd use a dock as the audio coming out of it is baseband and not amplified like the headphone jack. That way it's the stereo's sole responsibility to adjust the levels of the audio.

Dan

·
Registered
949 Posts
Then the remaining question is where to mount the dock. I sure wish the car would have come with better iPod support. I really miss being able to control my iPod from my stereo. Now I have to pause it when I turn my car off, start it manually, etc. It sucks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure which way I'll go yet, as I agree with PDXEvo about where to mount the dock. Do you have any suggestions on good docks? Maybe some that are smaller.

Chris - Have you noticed any degredation in sound with the hook up you are using?

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
I have a suggestion. DO NOT BUY DLO. they're stuff is crap. i owned an fm transmitter/charger for my old car and it would have alot of noise. you could "hear" the rpms. Being as i'm an EE and think i'm all smart i assumed that the power going to the transmitter from the battery was chaging as you accelerated, and adding extra noise to the radio antenna.

So when i got this car and it had the AUX inputs i bought a DLO car dock that charged and also had a aux output so i would just have to hook up the ipod and disconnect it blah blah... Anyway had the same noise issue. the DLO products are shit and with some simpe google searches you can see everyone has these problems.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
really? i don't get any noise unless i am trying to power the IPOD. this is understandable, but i bought a $20 ipod car charger at best buy, can't remember name brand but the basic car charger, and when i'm listening with the ipod charge it does get a faint "humming" sound, but nothing even close to what the DLO sounded like, the DLO was horrible.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, I had a similar problem with my Itrip. That thing actually sucked pretty bad anywhere near a big city.

I think I'll go check out some docks tonight. If I end up getting one I'll let you know how it works.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought the Monster iCable to connect the iPod to the car works well. only bad thing is its so long.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Then the remaining question is where to mount the dock. I sure wish the car would have come with better iPod support. I really miss being able to control my iPod from my stereo. Now I have to pause it when I turn my car off, start it manually, etc. It sucks.
If your the moder type there is a hack out there where you solder a resistor onto the ground wire of an iPod power adapter and it causes your iPod to pause automatically when the car is turned off. (actually when the plug loses power) You still have to un-pause it when you get back in, but it's better then forgetting and leaving it playing for hours when you get out of the car.

Alternatively there is a car adapter made by Belkin that has this feature built in....

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=193794

however it runs the baseband audio connection through it's own internal amplifier, so the sound from it wont be quite as good. Although you may not even notice.

Dan

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have a suggestion. DO NOT BUY DLO. they're stuff is crap. i owned an fm transmitter/charger for my old car and it would have alot of noise. you could "hear" the rpms. Being as i'm an EE and think i'm all smart i assumed that the power going to the transmitter from the battery was chaging as you accelerated, and adding extra noise to the radio antenna.

So when i got this car and it had the AUX inputs i bought a DLO car dock that charged and also had a aux output so i would just have to hook up the ipod and disconnect it blah blah... Anyway had the same noise issue. the DLO products are shit and with some simpe google searches you can see everyone has these problems.
Ummm...put a filter cap between the power rails, to fix the problem. Since you're an EE I'll let you calculate how small/large a filter cap you might need :p

verkion
P.S. I'm an EE too!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up the Monster Icable over the weekend and works well.

The downsides are: It picks up the engine sound as you accelerate and decelerate. It doesn't charge the Ipod and the Ipod doesn't shut off with the car.

The upsides are: It's realativley cheap and works well. You can also use it on any home stereo. The engine sound isn't too loud.

Overall, it gets the job done and I think it's worth the price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.