Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've been getting this wheel "warble" it's noticeable at about 35mph and up and increases along with speed/rotation (not louder but faster). I thought it might be an off wheel weight but had all my wheels/tires checked and they're all balanced. I rotated the tires and still get the noise. I just replaced the tires and had an alignment done, still noisy. I checked for bad wheel bearings by shaking each wheel, no issues there. I know we have a loud AWD drivetrain but it just doesn't seem right. Any thoughts?

· Registered
1,863 Posts
Did you tighten the lugs with the car on the ground? I had that happen once. Lift it and make sure the wheel is flush to the hub and get it tight enough to finish off when you drop it back down

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you tighten the lugs with the car on the ground? I had that happen once. Lift it and make sure the wheel is flush to the hub and get it tight enough to finish off when you drop it back down

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
No, I know that's not the issue. I posted this question awhile back on evom and a few others had the same symptoms, but no one knew what was the cause. I guess it's not too big of an issue cause I drove the X from WA all the way to CA and back just fine. It's just more annoying and it's always in the back of my mind that could lead to further issues.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of tires do you have? What exactly does a "warble" sound like?
I guess best way to describe it, is like "***, ***, ***, ***.." it increases with speed but doesn't get louder. At high speeds or certain roads I don't hear it at all. When I've had it checked out by the stealership and tire places they don't hear it, I do have an exhaust. It's like you have to really listen for it. I have Conti DWS on right now brand new, but before hand I had a set of Falkens. They both do the same thing.

· Registered
5,920 Posts
How worn are your tires? The more worn your tires get, the noisier they will get, you can get a howling sound from them. I don't really know what this "Warble" sounds like, perhaps a youtube vid of the sound would do?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How worn are your tires? The more worn your tires get, the noisier they will get, you can get a howling sound from them. I don't really know what this "Warble" sounds like, perhaps a youtube vid of the sound would do?
Brand new Conti DWS, alignment done. Tried capturing the sound on my phone but it didn't turn out. Exhaust kinda drowns it out unless you're in the car listening for it. Worn axles? I'm at a loss.

· Registered
68 Posts
Brand new Conti DWS, alignment done. Tried capturing the sound on my phone but it didn't turn out. Exhaust kinda drowns it out unless you're in the car listening for it. Worn axles? I'm at a loss.
Hm that's odd. When I had the Conti DWS on my car, they were whisper quiet compared to my worn out OEM Advans.

Worn CV joints produce sounds that are more like clicking/popping than warble-ing.

Are you able to feel the vibrations through your steering wheel? Could be possible that your wheel/s are bent or out of round.

· Registered
7 Posts
HOLY HECK!!!!!!!! I bought my X (used 2010) a few months ago and I have this same sound!!! It's driving me NUTS!!!!!! I turned it right around and brought it to the dealership. It's been there three times and they say nothing wrong they, don't hear anything......... If they would have let me test drive it I would've never bought the car it's so annoying.... If you found a fix please let me know. I can't take it anymore..

· Registered
1,404 Posts
put it on a lift and then drive at that speed that u hear it whilst in the air. this will determine if it's tire related or drivetrain related and help u narrow it down a bit

· Registered
14 Posts
it could be sticky wheel weights thats rubbing against the caliper. had the same sound happen when i rotated wheels on a customers car. found out they had it balanced at jiffy lube that used taller wheel weights on the rear.

· Registered
234 Posts
I get this same sound every once in awhile. It is there for a few minutes then goes away. Maybe some dirt or something gets stuck somewhere for a bit til it wears off. It always seems to be coming from the rear tho. Right rear I believe.

· Registered
7 Posts
This noise is constant on my car from 15 MPH to 120 MPH, same volume just picks up in speed.. Anything after that I'm more concerned about the car vibrating apart and no longer hear anything lol. I brought the car back to this crappy dealership three times now stating there HAS to be a bad wheel bearing or drive line bearing.. I continue to be blown off and told there's nothing wrong. My entire transaction with this dealership has been horrible so I'm not surprised they are saying that. I paid 30 + thousand for this car I don't feel I should have to put it on the lift and diagnose the problem for them.. If there's a local northern NJ member willing to swap wheels/tires for twenty minutes so I can rule them out it would be much appreciated.

· Registered
2,993 Posts
if you are unable to post a vid of the noise? try your hardest to explain it better..

what kind of noise is it?

Grinding
humming
thumping
banging
whirring etc..

Could be anything? but with a better explanation we could narrow it down a bit?

· Registered
7 Posts
I'll do my best to get an audio of the noise. Yesterday would have been a superior day to get one as it was the most noticeable but I did not have anything to record it. Thanks for the help. I'm extremely glad I joined the forum everyone seem very friendly and helpful.

· [Team IEG VP]
10,145 Posts
curious for the video.

· Registered
2,993 Posts
I'll do my best to get an audio of the noise. Yesterday would have been a superior day to get one as it was the most noticeable but I did not have anything to record it. Thanks for the help. I'm extremely glad I joined the forum everyone seem very friendly and helpful.
Welcome to Evo X forums buddy!! you will get lots of help on here, theres a lot of experienced people on here who love to help fellow X owners out.

Ive learned shit loads about my car since being on this forum.

· Registered
7 Posts
Best way I can describe it is it sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Though when turning to the left or right produces no change in tone or volume.It is a constant volume and tone. Only variable is speed of the noise as the car changes speed. But it starts at very low speeds and stays consistent as pavement conditions change. Most notable on fresh pavement.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.