Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked all over the place for answers. When I'm driving in 2nd through 5th gear I notice around 2500 rpm my jumps up about 1000 rpm then drops back to to correct rpm . It only happens when I barely gas (normal driving) if I WOT it doesnt do it. Some are saying cluch is slipping but I notice today I was I. Fifth I pressed the clutch and slowed down for a light and the idle dropped really low and started boncing like it want to cut off. Usually I know that's a bad TPS but if I let the car idle it doesn't drop or show any signs . I was running a turbo smart BOV dual port set to 50 atmospheric 50 recir. Other than that its stock. I'm thinking the atmospheric route is the cause of this. I put the oem bov back on but it's still doing it any ideas?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
The ONLY way for the RPM to change without a corresponding MPH change is for the clutch to slip. Can't be anything else.

All the other stuff you mention could effect idle, surging, etc. But not RPM change.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
^ Exactly what he said. If clutch is engaged, and RMP changes without MPH changes, your clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just reread yalls response. Rpm spikes up but car does keep accelerating. It doesn't feel like a slip , more like boost just comes in randomly with a slight push to the peddle. But regardless it's going into the shop to get an exact answer. Maybe it is the clutch . I've driven in a car that clutch slips and this seems different .

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Ok thanks guys. Glad I'm under warranty. Is that normal for only having 48k Miles?
Clutch is always considered a wear item and is NOT warrantied. Especially at 48K miles.

Yes, quite normal for clutches and brakes to wear and need periodic replacement. All depends on usage/driving style.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Some people blow clutch at 3k miles... I managed to get along with it(driving it hard) until 100k miles, still going strong. It really depends how much you slip it, but also you can f*ck it up in one minute by accident, so mileage is a good measurement but not a solid one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's weird because I don't romp on it much. This started happening after I got back from vacation. It sat for two weeks and I took my aftermarket bov because it was dirty I keep being told is a dirty iacv or map because the car doesn't stop accelerating when the rpm jumps or feels like it's it's trying to catch. It's literally like I'm gasing it and the car takes off with barley pressing the pedal. I just don't want to replace the clutch and it's not it . Also that bogging in neutral questions if it's really the clutch could that be dirty iac or maf ?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I don't get it. Does your car accelerate when RPM jump correspondingly? Are you saying your throttle response is inconsistent? But the RPM is always consistent with MPH, right?

Check the MAF connection. It might have rusted or rodent could have damaged it. Without MAF your car will be rough and will try to use MAP to idle... which sucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes the car accelerates when rpm jumps. It's consistent. And when it jumps it's not much it's like 800-1000 rpm jump. Nothing crazy like a slip would. Also when I'm in different gears it happens at different Rpm's. 2nd it's around 2500 then 3rd is about 2900-3000 then 4th it happens around 3200. But soon as I cruise for a while and go to neutral the rpm drops really low as if it wasn't to turn off and jumps back and forth to 1000 dropping back to 400 ish. Then it levels out. But this all happen after a bunch of rain we've been having in Colorado .

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Check the MAF wiring. Wiggle it when car is idling, see if it helps. MAF can cause such erratic behavior.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for the help but it's most definitely the clutch. Soon as I got out the car it smelled. At lease I can go stage two now .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just started having this same exact issue with my Evo yesterday I only have 13k miles on it. Were you able to confirm that it was the clutch?

Trying to figure out if it's worth replacing just the discs or getting a whole kit to replace everything. Seems like there would be a high labor cost either way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive this tread, im having the same problems and i believe its the clutch but my dad swears it is not that. Could someone confirm its the clutch so i can purchase mine soon, Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts