Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my cobb TBE and AP have come in as well as upper and lower IC pipes (VERY excited!!!). Originally I planned on just installing the cat-back and using stage 1 and then later (when i had more time) installing the down pipe and test pipe with stage 2 tune. However, I have read read two things on this forum that are making me rethink this plan

first, I've read that the down pipe is a b**** to install. On a scale from 1 to 10, how difficult is it? I have the tools and plenty experience working on cars. I just haven't really checked things out under the evo yet to see how cramped it was and how much time to allocate.

Second, I've read that stage 1 tunes are "useless" and cause a lot of knock

In light of this information I feel like it would be best to just skip the stage1/CBE and go straight to the stage2/TBE. Is this something I can do in one day? I do not have access to a lift.... only ramps. Any feedback is much appreciated!!!

Also, I plan on installing boost/wideband gauges as soon as dsg releases those dual gauge A-pillars!

·
Registered
284 Posts
You dont need downpipe to run stage 2... I got ams test pipe, br cat/back and ive been running that setup for 35k+ miles no issues...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks! Will putting the down pipe in give me any more power?

That is some other conflicting info i got. I've read on this forum that installing larger downpipe only yields more power if you have a bigger turbo.... but the guy at Cobb said that the downpipe and test pipe is where you see all the gains (not the cat-back)

·
Premium Member
11,810 Posts
The gains will be there from a DP, but just not worth it from a labor standpoint, whether you're doing it yourself or having a shop do it. The same steps will need to be repeated for a turbo swap. That's why many put it off till then. If you know you will NEVER upgrade the turbo and want the best possible combo with the stocker, go for it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yes the DP is just not worth the trouble by itself... most of the gains come from taking out the cat...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome, this is exactly the kind of input i'm looking for! I know I'm not going to bigger turbo at least until after warranty (40k more miles to go). I guess when i get to putting in the test pipe and cat-back i can have a look at how hard it will be to do the downpipe.

Does the fact that the cobb downpipe is not "bellmouth" mean less performance gains? Also, what kind of effect do you guys think the downpipe would have on exhaust sound? Thanks again

·
Registered
364 Posts
Most of the difference in sound comes from the test pipe. The quick/easy/minimal performance upgrade downpipes that bolt to the stock turbine outlet shouldn't change the sound too much. Just like they don't change the horsepower too much.

As for the stage 1 vs stage 2. I have an AP and tested both on mine, my car did EVERYTHING better on stage 1 than it did on stage 2. Obviously you want to run stage 2 when you have the mods for it, but the argument that stage 1 is unsafe for a vehicle that doesn't have stage 2 mods just doesn't hold water from my personal experience.

Labor installing a two bolt downpipe should be minimal. You'll want long extensions for one of the bolts but it's nothing like removing the stock O2 housing (which isn't actually an O2 housing). That's more along the lines of a 2G eclipse clutch job just without the weight of the transmission.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok i get it now. at first i was like how in the hell does the cobb downpipe replace the factory downpipe?! But the cobb doesn't actually even replace the part that bolts directly to the turbo (the "bellmouth" or o2 housing that i'm guessing you guys were referring to).

So it looks like i'll be installing the whole Cobb TBE.

Sellout, what mods did you have when you experimented between the cobb stage 1 and stage 2?

Thanks again guys, the pics were very helpful, i didn't realize the cobb tbe isn't as "turbo-back" as it could be....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.