Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

blaq ops kit, fic 1100 injectors, deatchwerks pump

For the last few days I've been trying to figure out why my car is running lean. Its tuned for 10.5 afr and it is going as high as 12 at WOT.

I thought it was bad gas so i drove around and killed the tank. Then i put brand new 93 in and changed out the relays to blue. I had greens but i read that even they fail.

The car still ran lean.

I have the Blaq Ops kit so the next thing i checked was to see if the hose was cracked in the tank and it was perfectly fine.

I checked for boost leaks
I checked the in-line fuel filter

I called FIC and asked them about it.. They said send the injectors in and they will check em out.

I just pulled em and im going to send them in.. i hope that is the issue.

----
Possible Problem?

On the perrin intake their is the nipple that bcs plugs back into.

The nipple is missing and air unmetered air was getting into the car. I plugged this up before i noticed the car was running lean.

I belive car was tuned this way.

If the car was tuned with unmetered air coming into the intake and i plugged up the hole could that cause it to run lean?

·
[E-Tuner]
15,860 Posts
Hey guys,

blaq ops kit, fic 1100 injectors, deatchwerks pump

For the last few days I've been trying to figure out why my car is running lean. Its tuned for 10.5 afr and it is going as high as 12 at WOT.

I thought it was bad gas so i drove around and killed the tank. Then i put brand new 93 in and changed out the relays to blue. I had greens but i read that even they fail.

The car still ran lean.

I have the Blaq Ops kit so the next thing i checked was to see if the hose was cracked in the tank and it was perfectly fine.

I checked for boost leaks
I checked the in-line fuel filter

I called FIC and asked them about it.. They said send the injectors in and they will check em out.

I just pulled em and im going to send them in.. i hope that is the issue.

----
Possible Problem?

On the perrin intake their is the nipple that bcs plugs back into.

The nipple is missing and air unmetered air was getting into the car. I plugged this up before i noticed the car was running lean.

I belive car was tuned this way.

If the car was tuned with unmetered air coming into the intake and i plugged up the hole could that cause it to run lean?
Its not the unplugged hole sucking in un-metered air. I tried that when I had my lean issue, which turned out to be my fuel pump relay.

Also, do you have any logs of said leaning out?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the responses guys.

Its not the unplugged hole sucking in un-metered air. I tried that when I had my lean issue, which turned out to be my fuel pump relay.

Also, do you have any logs of said leaning out?
ill attach a log i emailed my tuner, i did a few pulls on it but i didnt want to stay in it for very long.

check the fpr vac hose, and check your pump relay
FPR was hooked up and zip tied, Relay was replaced with a brand new blue one.

Make sure the pump is still flowing. It's not unheard of to have a pump go out.
How do i check if the fuel pump is working correctly?

Lean conditions are only in the top end. i can floor it at 4k rpm and be @ 10.5 but it leans out soon as i hit 5k

Attachments

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
How do i check if the fuel pump is working correctly?

Lean conditions are only in the top end. i can floor it at 4k rpm and be @ 10.5 but it leans out soon as i hit 5k
Well, that is actually a hard one. Usually replacing with a known good pump is one way of checking. That's how we fixed one of my customer's bad fuel pump issue.

You can increase fuel while logging IPW / IDC and see if you get more fuel by increasing the injector IPW. If adding more fuel does not actually change your AFR, the fuel is not flowing. That could be a pump issue or a clog / fuel system issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually had a kink in the fuel hose coming from a DW pump. It didn't appear to have a kink but I definitely wasn't getting any fuel under high load. I guess we just weren't able to assemble the slinky hose properly like the robot at the factory can.

Luckily, it was a spare unit and had my factory pump still inside the factory bucket. Re-installed the oem and worked fine.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually had a kink in the fuel hose coming from a DW pump. It didn't appear to have a kink but I definitely wasn't getting any fuel under high load. I guess we just weren't able to assemble the slinky hose properly like the robot at the factory can.

Luckily, it was a spare unit and had my factory pump still inside the factory bucket. Re-installed the oem and worked fine.

I mailed the injectors out today. I called Speed Element and they are sending me a new hose that i can wrap around instead of the S-hose. I guess ill do a quick search to see how people are running their hoses.

it depends on what FIC says about the injectors. If they are good its gotta be in the pump end.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
List of things wrong with your log / logger (unless it was intentional)

MAF volt
IPW
VVT set
Timing

What is your rom ID? requestIDs may not be matching

Compare your fuel map and your actual AFR (assuming wideband is actual)
there is nothing wrong with anything .. ie it was programmed this way

I mailed the injectors out today. I called Speed Element and they are sending me a new hose that i can wrap around instead of the S-hose. I guess ill do a quick search to see how people are running their hoses.

it depends on what FIC says about the injectors. If they are good its gotta be in the pump end.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
List of things wrong with your log / logger (unless it was intentional)

MAF volt
IPW
VVT set
Timing

What is your rom ID? requestIDs may not be matching

Compare your fuel map and your actual AFR (assuming wideband is actual)
there is nothing wrong with anything .. ie it was programmed this way

Crap! little oversight :) , Evoscan was setup for 52680024.

Im tuned on Tephra V1 i guess ill just reinstall Evoscan and log again when the injectors get here.

thanks man!

·
aka SilverEvoX
229 Posts
First: OT but why in gods name are you tuned at 10.5:1 AFR...that's crazy rich.

Second: Why would you do repeat pulls if it was knocking that bad...16 count is pretty serious...

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First: OT but why in gods name are you tuned at 10.5:1 AFR...that's crazy rich.

Second: Why would do repeat pulls if it was knocking that bad...16 count is pretty serious...

first: my tuner said it was safe and where i wanted to be

second: i have no idea what im doing in terms of the tuning, i logged the car so he could look at what is going on. Kinda too late now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just in case it helps, I had a problem running lean in boost after installing a surge tank with inline pump. After trying several different things (checked lines/filters, FPR vacuum line, replaced pump, etc), it turned out that the factory FPR itself failed. I replaced it with an adjustable FPR with a pressure gauge primarily so that I could see what the pressure was to help troubleshoot...and everything was working correctly.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Crap! little oversight :) , Evoscan was setup for 52680024.

Im tuned on Tephra V1 i guess ill just reinstall Evoscan and log again when the injectors get here.

thanks man!
you don't have to reinstall .. there's a tab somewhere near the middle just above the logging window that says "Select ECU" or something like that ..

its a dropdown menu .. find your rom / year of the car in there

Get another log when you set it up correctly .. but as of that log you posted .. this is the way it is set up .. there's nothing wrong with anything

·
aka SilverEvoX
229 Posts
Also if you start seeing knock over 3 counts I'd back out of it instead of continuing the pull until you figure out what is causing the knock and adjust the tune appropriately.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts