Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awesome. This car will be a tuner favorite:

We've had rumors and spy shots before, but up until now we really didn't have any confirmation that Hyundai's new Tiburon replacement would switch from a pull-me to a push-me. With the new rwd platform that the company recently developed for its Genesis luxury sedan, it was expected that the next generation of affordable sports car from Korea would ditch its fwd layout and get some true sports car manners. Well, Hyundai just confirmed that when that car shows up in late 2008 or early 2009, it will indeed be rear-wheel drive.

As predicted, the car will share its rwd platform with the already-announced Genesis sedan, which we should see in about a year. The Tiburon replacement should show up half a year to a year after the sedan, and might even come as a convertible. In fact, there is also a suggestion that we'll be seeing several models based on this platform. We're not sure if the coupe will share the sedan's new V8 in addition to the expected V6, but it would make an interesting competitor for the Mustang if it did. Hyundai has officially said no, but there are still whispers, and if not a V8, some kind of boosted V6 in the top models might suffice.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/30/confirmed-hyundai-making-tiburon-replacement-rwd/

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
It has been rumoured for yeeears that the next one was going to be RWD.. then came the rumours that it would be made into a turbo i4 and sold as a kia, and Hyundai would introduce a v6 or v8 rwd car (350z competitor) but under a new model name.

Tiburon + rwd = ftw. Depending on the styling (hyundai goes from awesome (97 tib) to ghastly (2000-1 tib) to awesome (2003-2004 tib) to just plain gross (2007 tib) far too often. Luckily, by that pattern, this new model should be awesome. Hopefully they can get the weight down though it isn't very likely :( the current tib is already 3k pounds with an all-aluminum v6 and a small fwd chassis. Add in standard 6 airbags, rwd, v8.. yuck.

If it was under 3100 pounds I think I could deal if I could get me some afforable rwd with independent, sporty suspension.

this is exciting, I'm glad it's finally confirmed since those spy shots appeared on the web 3 months ago.

I like the turbo 4 from the test mule..

to me, a turbo 4 means it isn't going to be that heavy of a car :)

the interior looks quite cool too:

everything I've read has said no turbo for the US market though.. or at least has said v6 in the base model.. maybe 230hp base model (3.3 from the Sonata) and 270+hp very turbo i4 sport model?

p.s. the simplicity of intercooler piping on rwd cars makes me sick inside

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has been rumoured for yeeears that the next one was going to be RWD..
Yup.

then came the rumours that it would be made into a turbo i4 and sold as a kia, and Hyundai would introduce a v6 or v8 rwd car (350z competitor) but under a new model name.
whoa whoa whoa...are kia and hyundai related, other than the fact that they're both korean?

Tiburon + rwd = ftw. Depending on the styling (hyundai goes from awesome (97 tib) to ghastly (2000-1 tib) to awesome (2003-2004 tib) to just plain gross (2007 tib) far too often. Luckily, by that pattern, this new model should be awesome. Hopefully they can get the weight down though it isn't very likely :( the current tib is already 3k pounds with an all-aluminum v6 and a small fwd chassis. Add in standard 6 airbags, rwd, v8.. yuck.
3K isn't bad at all.

If it was under 3100 pounds I think I could deal if I could get me some afforable rwd with independent, sporty suspension.

this is exciting, I'm glad it's finally confirmed since those spy shots appeared on the web 3 months ago.

I like the turbo 4 from the test mule..

the interior looks quite cool too:
Hopefully it FEELS nice too. Hyundai tends to use cheap plastics that feel like junk.

everything I've read has said no turbo for the US market though.. or at least has said v6 in the base model.. maybe 230hp base model (3.3 from the Sonata) and 270+hp very turbo i4 sport model?
I thought the Sonata had a ~265hp V6?

p.s. the simplicity of intercooler piping on rwd cars makes me sick inside
No, that's just hunger pains.

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
Yes, hyundai and kia are one in the same.. they weren't always though.

there's the only model duplicate between the brands.

also the Accent and Rio are on the same platform as of the current generation, the Optima and Sonata are on the same chassis (though the Optima V6 is the 2.7 from the Tib (170hp)), and lots of parts are shared all around. It's no badge engineering like GM, but they are 'together'

And the Sonata has a 3.3 with ~235hp

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i had a tib for 6weeks they just pain sucked imo.i think huinday is way overdo for a fast competitor car.the tibs have always been the underdogjust like the eclipse withe the 420a.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, hyundai and kia are one in the same.. they weren't always though.

there's the only model duplicate between the brands.

also the Accent and Rio are on the same platform as of the current generation, the Optima and Sonata are on the same chassis (though the Optima V6 is the 2.7 from the Tib (170hp)), and lots of parts are shared all around. It's no badge engineering like GM, but they are 'together'

And the Sonata has a 3.3 with ~235hp
When did they "merge"?

And why are Hyundais so much more reliable than Kias?

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had a tib for 6weeks they just pain sucked imo.i think huinday is way overdo for a fast competitor car.the tibs have always been the underdogjust like the eclipse withe the 420a.
Yeah, but at least the eclipse had higher end models featuring the 4g63.

This car is just what hyundai needs to break through into new markets.

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
No doubt the tib with the 2.7 170hp engine isn't very fast, but you can easily get it from the 145-150whp it has stock to 180whp with just intake, header, midpipe, exhaust. Plus the PLETHORA of great supercharger kits available for that engine.

I might be biased though, my best friend back home has an 04 Tib in yellow that is over 260whp and totally daily driveable, comfortable, etc. Yeah the interior plastics aren't perfect but it isn't like they are General Motors bad, and plus you do need to compromise somewhere to sell a fully loaded tib for like 20k

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yeah, but at least the eclipse had higher end models featuring the 4g63.

This car is just what hyundai needs to break through into new markets.
true but they just stop putting them in the eclipse through 99 kept it in some models though.in the later years. and yeah why are the huindays more relaible then kias.also how much money would you have to spent before you have some decent amount power.i know the concept of spending to make power but if they are going to compete in the automarket why not bring something that can be at that level of other manufacturer models.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
so i've been reading that the tib may not keep the name.whats that about.theres some sitesthat state this i think its hogwash.what enigne is going to be in it some sites say a 3.8 300hp

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
so i've been reading that the tib may not keep the name.whats that about.theres some sitesthat state this i think its hogwash.what enigne is going to be in it some sites say a 3.8 300hp
It wouldn't take much to get the 3.8 v6 to 300hp, it's already 270something isn't it? and that's on the azera where it was all about being quiet, on the tib (or whatever they name a future coupe thing) they could have a louder intake and a bit less quiet of an exhaust... plus they could require premium fuel if the azera doesn't already.

As for dropping the tiburon name.. yeah, I've heard a lot about that over the years as well. If you make it too big and heavy PLUS rwd you're kinda straying from the formula of the previous tiburon generations a bit much.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i would not doubt if it could make past 400 with the right parts.but yeah once the line changes from time to time its a replacement of a car instead of a newer model of the same car.it will not fall under the same class anymore.i wonder what the retail is going to be on them as if they are not volume cars.

·
Administrator
24,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where did you hear about the possible name change?

I'd be suprised if it was 300hp. But I'm expecting 250hp or better at this point.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i'll look it up again i saw that like a month ago.they did not mention what the new name if any would be.but it was stated that the name may change.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i almost bought a tib. they are nice cars, easy to mod and sound nice. rwd would make this a definate competitor for my next car

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
i almost bought a tib. they are nice cars, easy to mod and sound nice. rwd would make this a definate competitor for my next car
Tiburon stock = pretty nice sound.
Tiburon + tanabe cat-back exhaust = melon shooter mufflers + really nice sound
Tiburon + tanabe cat-back + headers = zomg that growl!!!
Tiburon + tanabe cat-back + headers + catted midpipe = ok this is getting a little ridiculously loud but sounds so good.
tiburon + tanabe cat-back + headers + catted midpipe + stage 2 Alpine supercharger = *sploodge*

edit: loud supercharger whine that can overpower all that exhaust work is AMAZING. it sounds incredible.. go on youtube or google video and watch vids of supercharged tibs, there's a whole lot of awesome car noise pr0n lol

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i know. i often wake up kicking myself for not buying one :(

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.