Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all

I am headed to Lime Rock on April 9th, to shake down our Evo.

I have run with SCDA for 11 years. They have a group for every ability level, from no track experience, to full on race cars. I think most of you fall into no track experience level so let me go over what you get -

2 hours of classroom instruction decided up into 4 segment classes.

2 Hours on track time, decided up into 4 segments.

Rides in you instructors car, as needed.

Lime Rock is the best rack to learn on. Tons of run off room, close to home, historic, and newly paved. I have over 50 events at this track, and all of them have been great, and very safe. For a first time track event, this group and this track is your best choice.

Lets get some NEEVO guys signed up, as we will be at the track to support the race car, and can lend a hand to you guys as well. Its time to get off the sideline and let your Evo stretch its legs a bit.

https://www.scda1.com/events/detail_by_id/100101028

Info on the track:
http://www.scda1.com/lime-rock/

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
i think. i'm there. what would some of the ancillary costs be (i.e. helmet, insurance, etc.)?
i haven't worried about insurance yet. though it did a quick quote for about 31k and it came out to be ~$205 for a single event through hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com. when i get up to the higher levels, i may get it for events at tracks with not a lot of run-off since ill be pushing the car harder. helmet can run anywhere from $200 and up. i got mine from soloracer.com. i recommend getting a SA2010 rated one, its the latest rating for racing helmets.

i run a invida q300 with perrin dp +hfc and had no issues last year when i was there with the same db level restriction and there were plenty of cars there louder than mine.

also, about oil and what not, i change my drivetrain according to the severe schedule (15k for both diffs and trans) and oil is usually around every 3k. for brake fluid and pads, i got away with the stock dot3 and pads at my first track day ever at lime rock though i was cooking the pads by the end of my second session, so its possible to use the stock pads and fluid though i would recommend at least changing the fluid to a dot4 fluid (motul rbf 600, etc) to prevent boiling it.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
my god, some of those helmets are eeeeexpensive! also, you may need to remove those links if they aren't approved vendors or whatever.

can you rent helmets? i'm worried about spending $300 and not being able to race enough to make it a purchase worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
k, removed the links.

and yea, helmets can get wicked expensive, 'specially when talking about carbon fiber ones and what not. i got a pyrotect pro airflow for $330. for the most part, clubs will allow SA2005 and up for helmet ratings as well

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
you may want to check before getting an open faced. i know some tracks like njmp require closed face (state law). also some clubs require closed-face as well
I checked scda's and limerock's site and it didn't say anything about open or closed that I could find. Only requirement I could find was scda's SA2000 min reqirement.

I guess I'll get a closed face helmet since I'm sure I'll want to do NJMP at some point.

·
Premium Member
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gents -

Things I would invest in:

Fullface helmet. Lots of choices, I recommend a stop at HMS motorsports and try some on. Support a local biz.

Gloves - Great investment. Helps you stick to the wheel.

Driving shoes - Piloti is the best. Makes a world of difference.

On the Db limit - I passed in the GTR last year, and I think you all know how loud that thing is. I would recommend a resonated mid pipe, or HFC, to make it under. We are going to try it without and see if we get flagged.

Things to bring - Sunglasses, water or sports drink, torque wrench, PSI meter, limited tool set, a long sleeve shirt, long pants, and I highly recommend under amour under ware. (I know the last one sounds strange but try it in boxers, then try it in underarmor)

OK so who is in so far??

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Gents -

Things I would invest in:

Fullface helmet. Lots of choices, I recommend a stop at HMS motorsports and try some on. Support a local biz.

Gloves - Great investment. Helps you stick to the wheel.

Driving shoes - Piloti is the best. Makes a world of difference.

On the Db limit - I passed in the GTR last year, and I think you all know how loud that thing is. I would recommend a resonated mid pipe, or HFC, to make it under. We are going to try it without and see if we get flagged.

Things to bring - Sunglasses, water or sports drink, torque wrench, PSI meter, limited tool set, a long sleeve shirt, long pants, and I highly recommend under amour under ware. (I know the last one sounds strange but try it in boxers, then try it in underarmor)

OK so who is in so far??
I'll go check out HMS Motorsports some time this week.

I already registered and definately in.

Gotta get some new brake pads and fluids and I'm gonna attempt doing it myself - gonna borrow a friend's compressor. Do you guys have any Hawk HPS Street pads for the X in stock?

·
Premium Member
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll go check out HMS Motorsports some time this week.

I already registered and definately in.

Gotta get some new brake pads and fluids and I'm gonna attempt doing it myself - gonna borrow a friend's compressor. Do you guys have any Hawk HPS Street pads for the X in stock?
Yes, HPS and HP+ are in stock, as well as rotors ad stainless lines.

S

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'm about 90% in. Gonna crunch some numbers tonight but I really don't wanna miss this! I saw the shoes on solo racer, what is it about them that makes such a big difference?
you get better feel for the pedals through them then regular shoes. its like high end soccer cleats that are like wearing a second skin. plus some have fire protection

·
Premium Member
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shoes - Hard soles, rounded heel helps with foot work on the pedals. Sneakers will work, but the larger heels hamper heel toe. I would say if you were budgeting it out -

1. Get a helmet
2. Get top of the line gloves
3. Get shoes

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.