Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm having an issue where my serpentine belt is riding off-center (closer to the wheel) on the tensioner idler pulley. It's pretty bad, as in almost half way off the pulley. When I go under and readjust it to the proper position, it goes right back to the bad position the moment I crank it. I haven't noticed any symptoms/strange sounds as a result of it, but it's driving me crazy, as I feel like the belt can go at any moment. I suspected the pulley itself may have been bad, so I replaced it and it does the exact same thing.

A few months back, the belt broke and I installed a new one. I suspect this misalignment may have been the reason it broke back then. Do you guys think the tensioner itself could be bad and causing the problem? I noticed a little lateral movement (towards the wheel) from the pulley when I relieved the tension. Maybe something else is out of whack? Any advice on how to check proper alignment of other pullies? I've searched and found nothing specific to this, and I'm hoping that maybe someone else has had this issue and can help.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Replace the tensioner. BE CAREFUL of the car overheating. Once the belt comes off then the waterpump ceases to work and temps rise very fast. If you have already overheated the motor then I highly suggest pulling the head off and resurface the head and inspect the exhaust valves.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The three idler pulleys that mitsu used are all made of plastic, and are known to fail from wear. I would suggest replacing them with the metal Hyundai pulleys and your issue should go away.

The belt could of broken/bent something, but its more likely a bolt got bent if there is an issue of misalignment. Cast aluminum just tends to break.

There are plenty of write ups on the Hyundai pulley mod, I will suggest that you get the Hyundai tensioner pulley bolt as it has a larger shoulder and a longer head to accommodate for the difference in pulley design. There are other little nuances like having to shim the pulley but you'll see that in the write-ups.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replace the tensioner. BE CAREFUL of the car overheating. Once the belt comes off then the waterpump ceases to work and temps rise very fast. If you have already overheated the motor then I highly suggest pulling the head off and resurface the head and inspect the exhaust valves.
Thanks for the feedback. The first time my belt broke, I pulled over immediately and was towed home on a flatbed, so no overheating fortunately. I replaced the tensioner and my problem appears to be completely resolved, belt on nice and straight!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The three idler pulleys that mitsu used are all made of plastic, and are known to fail from wear. I would suggest replacing them with the metal Hyundai pulleys and your issue should go away.

The belt could of broken/bent something, but its more likely a bolt got bent if there is an issue of misalignment. Cast aluminum just tends to break.

There are plenty of write ups on the Hyundai pulley mod, I will suggest that you get the Hyundai tensioner pulley bolt as it has a larger shoulder and a longer head to accommodate for the difference in pulley design. There are other little nuances like having to shim the pulley but you'll see that in the write-ups.
Thanks for the suggestions. Just an update, I replaced the tensioner (which comes OEM with a pulley) and my belt is tracking nice and straight, so problem solved! I stuck with the Mitsu pulleys for now, as I was unable to source the Hyundai pulleys quickly enough to make it by the time I has set aside to do the job. I think I will switch in the near future though, just to prevent any further issues.

Also, that's an interesting suggestion on the Hyundai tensioner pulley bolt. If I recall correctly, don't the write-ups suggest using the Mitsu tensioner pulley bolt, since the Hyundai is not the right length?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. The first time my belt broke, I pulled over immediately and was towed home on a flatbed, so no overheating fortunately. I replaced the tensioner and my problem appears to be completely resolved, belt on nice and straight!
Did the coolant temp gauge go above the half way mark at all? Good on you if you caught things in time.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Just an update, I replaced the tensioner (which comes OEM with a pulley) and my belt is tracking nice and straight, so problem solved! I stuck with the Mitsu pulleys for now, as I was unable to source the Hyundai pulleys quickly enough to make it by the time I has set aside to do the job. I think I will switch in the near future though, just to prevent any further issues.

Also, that's an interesting suggestion on the Hyundai tensioner pulley bolt. If I recall correctly, don't the write-ups suggest using the Mitsu tensioner pulley bolt, since the Hyundai is not the right length?
I am not sure if it is shorter or longer. I presume it should at least be the correct length to work, but perhaps it is a smaller thread and pitch than the mitsu bolt. The reason I suggested checking them out is the OEM Mitsu tensioner centers and rests the pulley bearing on a step/shoulder on the tensioner and the pulley bolt. When you space that particular pulley out to fit on the mitsu tensioner, you effectively pull it off that inner step. I haven't had any issue, but plan on revisiting this when I pull my engine out to throw the 2.2 in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the coolant temp gauge go above the half way mark at all? Good on you if you caught things in time.
No, the temp gauge didn't move at all. I heard the pop, smelled the rubber, and literally pulled onto the shoulder in less than 3 seconds, then turned the car off to inspect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not sure if it is shorter or longer. I presume it should at least be the correct length to work, but perhaps it is a smaller thread and pitch than the mitsu bolt. The reason I suggested checking them out is the OEM Mitsu tensioner centers and rests the pulley bearing on a step/shoulder on the tensioner and the pulley bolt. When you space that particular pulley out to fit on the mitsu tensioner, you effectively pull it off that inner step. I haven't had any issue, but plan on revisiting this when I pull my engine out to throw the 2.2 in.
Hmm, that's interesting. I wasn't aware of the little shoulder on the tensioner. Feel free to update in this thread if you find something noteworthy upon pulling your engine! I'd like to hear it if so, and I'm sure others could benefit from the information.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting. I wasn't aware of the little shoulder on the tensioner. Feel free to update in this thread if you find something noteworthy upon pulling your engine! I'd like to hear it if so, and I'm sure others could benefit from the information.
Can do. It was a bit of a concern when I did the pulley swap if I'm being honest, but I just said "send it" and threw the pulley and mitsu bolt on it. I was at a buddies shop anyway and wasn't about to try and rig something I felt was better suited. No issues since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts