Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of no where, last week when I was backing out of my garage, started my car and sitting in the car and waiting for my wife to come out.....
When my wife came out, wife was like "what's that noise?" and my first reaction was "What noise? There is no noise"....
Then I got out, and heard a squealing noise from my engine. Open the hood, sure enough it was the belt making the noise, quickly got some spray lube and sprayed on the belt, noise is gone and I drove off (was at night and in a real hurry)

Was going to look into it the next day, totally forgot. Didn't even drive the car for the next / last 5 days.

Today, drove it to work and got the oil change done. Finally remembered to check the belt..and yup...1 groove is missing from my serpentine belt and edge is all torn up...

Anyone ran into this with the X before ?? My car is 08 with only 37k km...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope they have the belt in stock at the dealer...

Is it easy enough to do? or better let the dealer do it?

How much am I looking at roughly?

Man, after looking at it, I don't even wanna drive my car...

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I hope they have the belt in stock at the dealer...

Is it easy enough to do? or better let the dealer do it?

How much am I looking at roughly?

Man, after looking at it, I don't even wanna drive my car...
I had this happen to me...took it to the dealer and they charged me 150ish...which was ridiculous because you can buy the belt online or from autozone/advanced for like 40. If you do take it to the dealer buy the belt before hand and give it to them to install

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was in Mexico when that happen to me, went to autoparts store and find it for like 25 dollars and take my car to my friend (only person who use my car other tan me) just a couple of beers and its done really easy, (even charge me like 40 for the install of the ETS DP).

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
There is a write up online of where the plastic pulleys were replaced with metal ones, reducing/eliminating the chances of those becoming fatigued and causing the failure. They used the pulleys from a genisis coupe turbo motor.

Anyway I changed mine at 60k and it was in fairly good shape. I had several issues getting a replacement via autozone and online. Make sure if you don't go through the dealer to check double check and check again that you are getting the belt for the evolution, the lancer belts are different. Also you can easily do this yourself at home, you can prolly find an how to online some where. Good luck.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
let me know if you find a how to or other good source of info. Best of luck man!

·
Registered
25 Posts
How did this happened?
60k on the clock. The pulleys just wore out. I replaced them with OEM Hyundai metal ones.

OP- I got my belt from O'Reilly's for ~$40. It's very easy to do yourself. You just need to remove the passenger wheel and plastic splash shield, grab the tensioner pulley with a 16mm(IIRC) wrench and move it to relieve the tension, slip the belt off one of the pulleys and let the tensioner back out to rest on the alternator (I didn't mess with finding the hole to stick an allen wrench in to hold the tensioner). Throw the new belt on and pull the tensioner back before you put the belt on the last pulley.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
One bolt per pulley, pretty easy if you are already in there changing the belt. I didnt change mine because my belt was in relatively good shape and there was no underlying issue that led me to believe the pulleys were bad.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.