Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

So for the last 2-3 days i`ve been getting a service req warning. The picture is the one with the middle one

I`ve had it come up before, but it would go away and not come back for a couple months. But now it`s on all the time. Now yesterday I stopped at the gas station then started the car and it didn`t come on, I figured good it was just a bug, but then the TARMAC started blinking :wtfsign: it blinked for maybe a minute or so, then the service warning came on again. Any advice on this? Or am I stuck with going to the dealer to get it scanned?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sounds like you have either an air bubble in your super all wheel drive pump.. or its crapped out or is crapping out. In addition to the tarmac light blinking.... is the AYC display showing the middle bar? or does that blink as well then disappear?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normaly the service warning comes on, then when I move back to the normal screen the TARMAC/SNOW/DIRT display in the middle top is gone and there is the warning triangle on the right side. I can`t toggle the TARMAC options

·
Registered
243 Posts
Under the AYC screen is the center bar light on or off?

Sounds like what happened to my car which was the all wheel drive pump. Hope its something easier... and if not hope you are under warranty.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went out to check...right when I turn it on the bar is there, but as soon as the warning pops up, the bar is gone.

So what are the odds that it`s something other then my pump?

Still safe to drive or will I fry something?

·
Registered
243 Posts
It could be a fuse or an air bubble like I mentioned, and the system needs to be bleed again and reset/cycled at the dealer. (have you had service done on the pump or fluid swap recently?)

Safe? Well you wont fry anything because you are just running the car with an open diff since the pump is not working correctly (it tries to turn on, the light being on then off as described, and then goes into safe mode and turns itself off when the bar disappears). The car has lost its super all wheel control so it will be much more tail happy and not as predictable. So the car will drive with different driving characteristics then what you are use to. I would bring to the dealer sooner than later.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I didn`t have any service done to it yet. I`ll have to bring it in to get it checked I guess.

So without the pump, the awd still works just not AYC? (just trying to figure this out exacty)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks for the help guys. I mayde a appointement for tomorrow, hoping it`s not the retardedly expencive pump.

By the way, can that pump just be rebuilt? What actualy lets go normaly?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
unfortunately it sounds like its the pump. as far as rebuilds and what not go, im pretty sure mitsu just replaces the whole pump assembly. i remember someone was looking into what would go into a rebuild, but never saw anything come of it

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They might be replacing the whole thing just to be safe under warranty. So it doens`t happen again.

But seriously, if the pump fails it can only me a couple things right, motor...imperler...or seal?

Does anyone know what normaly breaks?

When I was searching I for info I found a evo site in I think Australia (they had alot of mates lol) And they where talking about a shop that rebuilt them...even tho I won`t be shipping to australia it should be do able.

But as long as I can still do my thing without hurting anything I would be good until a replacement is found

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
someone must do rebuilds, they do in the UK.

Anyways.... you dont know whats wrong yet.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I almost never change them, only when we get a big snow.

So the dealer said it was the pump. Now to figure out if it can be rebuilt.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It can be rebuilt. There are a few threads on the other forum with people having success doing it themselves. It's hit or miss though. The shop that people were referring to in this thread in in the UK. They rebuild them and use their own pump motor assembles.

http://www.hh-ms.com/Evo_acd_pump.htm

What makes them fail? A number of things, really. But all the issues are mostly related to corrosion. Mine failed on my EVO IX because the housing corroded so bad it caused internal leakage (think blow by) and the pump could no longer build the amount of pressure required. Mine was far too rusted to be rebuilt, it wouldn't even come apart. The housing was trash. Honestly, your best bet is to buy a used one. Have you done the reflash so that the pump doesn't come on until everything warms up? I also spray mine down with anticorrosion spray a couple times a week during winter to try and protect it a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-MITSUB...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cfafd2707

1 - 20 of 24 Posts