Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im kind of wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. pretty much what happens is between 5k-7k RPMs the "service required" light comes on and beeps at me, along with the ASC turns off. it only happens sometimes, maybe like 1 out of 6 times or something like that. once i turn my car off and turn the car back on, everything is fine. sometimes it happens in 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd or 4th gear. seems really random to me, but its always at higher RPMs.

im kinda new to this forum, and i have looked at other posts involving the service required light and i felt like none of them really fit in with how my car is acting.

so anyone else had to deal with a problem like this???

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same issue and it had to do with overboost. I was spiking at over 28.9! the asc shuts down to protect itself from damage. You probably need some sort of boost control or have a leak in your downpipe or something. Are you logging your boost?

im kind of wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. pretty much what happens is between 5k-7k RPMs the "service required" light comes on and beeps at me, along with the ASC turns off. it only happens sometimes, maybe like 1 out of 6 times or something like that. once i turn my car off and turn the car back on, everything is fine. sometimes it happens in 2nd gear, sometimes 3rd or 4th gear. seems really random to me, but its always at higher RPMs.

im kinda new to this forum, and i have looked at other posts involving the service required light and i felt like none of them really fit in with how my car is acting.

so anyone else had to deal with a problem like this???

·
Registered
28 Posts
That has also happened to me. Low fluid in trunk???

I have this same issue! For me it only happen when I rev in neutral or with the clutch in

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is your car tune? Most likely overboost.
i got the car used from a chevy dealership (they got it on trade) and it came with a K&N air intake, synapse BOV, and a cat back exhaust. it also has a little boost gauge that somtimes tops out at 25-26psi if i floor it on the freeway or somthing like that. the sales guy said the prevous owner had it tuned, but maybe i should get it re-tuned????

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
499 Posts
Car is overboosting. If the load is right, this will happen. Also, it's most likely cold where you are at (WI), so the weather is contributing to the issue. I'd find a tuner and get the car on a dyno as a precaution.

·
Registered
898 Posts
My bet is that it's the intake letting that occur. Choke it back with a stock box if you want to try a cheap "fix". Also, put the stock BOV back on; it's not important if you're worrying about codes being thrown. About the only mod you'll find without a ton of codes is the Catback exhaust. Every other mod's goal is to increase air flow and/or boost, so the car's ECU is telling you that the specs are out of tolerance that it's been told to watch out for.

(EDIT: That's a paraphrase of a less-polite form of a reply I got from David Buschur a few years ago, but I believe he used words like "junk" and other euphamisms to describe after-market parts and the myriad of choices and performance behaviors they have, and the need for custom, knowledgable tuners.)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can't you tune this out? I have a Cobb AP and it'd be nice to check the box for "don't disengage the ACD at 30 PSI" especially if/when I go to a bigger turbo and more psi. When people boost to 40lb with their FP blacks, do they get the same issue? Are Evo X's doomed to run w/o hi tech AWD gadgetry if boosting over 30psi?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Can't you tune this out? I have a Cobb AP and it'd be nice to check the box for "don't disengage the ACD at 30 PSI" especially if/when I go to a bigger turbo and more psi. When people boost to 40lb with their FP blacks, do they get the same issue? Are Evo X's doomed to run w/o hi tech AWD gadgetry if boosting over 30psi?
Sure, tune out everything, but I read into the OP a concern about the car being a new toy, still "fresh" for them.

For anyone who cares, I prefer fresh bread every day, and a fresh Evo everytime I punch it. Boost at higher than stock levels will give you more, but will take something away -- "longevitiy". Boosting at 30 or even 40 psi should only be done on an engine that's built IMO. A stock block engine without anything to strengthen it will blow. That's the reason the code is being thrown. An engineer who cared ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts

people run 40 pounds of boost with fp blacks? news to me. anyway... there is a software fix for this issue. But it's probably better you turned the boost down.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cold weather is definitely not a factor, yes, its is cold here now but when the issuer first surfaced in july/august it was a constant 70-80 degree outside.

a co-worker of mine (no he does not have an evo, but has had tons of turbo cars and just sports cars in general) but he suggested that the issue could be the BOV, because when you let off the throtal, the BOV expells the left over air, which he thinks has already been read by the computer, and then that air does not get to the engine and the computer for lack of a better word "freaks out" and gives me the service required light. i guess if the car thinks all that air is on its way to the engine, i would think that the computer would send more gas to meet the need of the air that the engine thought it was going to receive.

what do you guys think? i guess I'm kind of looking to narrow down what this issues could be......

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
30psi ASC thing , or you are tripping MAF codes by going over airflow etc limits.
all easy software fixes.
does it idle like poo after the problem happens?
get someone near you to plug in to their laptop and i bet they will have you sorted in a minute or two.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Lower your boost and see if it keeps happening

·
Registered
281 Posts
It would really help if you could pull the code, have a Cobb Accessport?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got this today when I floored the car in 3rd gear... I felt the car sort of shudder and then ASC turned off and that picture with service soon came up. Mine is a different scenario than the OP though right?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts