Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a chance to pick up a RalliArt for a relatively good price, 17k. 09' 44k Miles.
Link
Just wondering if I could get some input from Ralliart owners on mods vs performance vs price? I know it won't compare to my MR (RIP) but it's a good price for a relatively well taken care of car. Any input would be very helpful.

·
Registered
456 Posts
they are pretty good as a daily driver, but once you punch it and hit the upper rpm's that is when you notice the biggest difference in power. also, the brakes and suspension suck compared to the MR. i say unless your planning on converting it completely over to evo parts (which actually isn't all that expensive from what i see in the f/s section) i would hunt around a bit more. if you'd be happy with a pretty peppy DD, go for it thats a pretty good price

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ralliart is good daily but it's no Evo. Not even close. Great car though. I want a white sportback when I pay off my X. Lower it, wider wheels and tires, upgrade brake pads and I'd be done. Leave everything else stock and enjoy my warranty.

I had a 09 ralliart before my X and I loved it. I miss the quick spool around town and the SST, but I wouldn't put one dime into the engine. Just me though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So I have a chance to pick up a RalliArt for a relatively good price, 17k. 09' 44k Miles.
Link
Just wondering if I could get some input from Ralliart owners on mods vs performance vs price? I know it won't compare to my MR (RIP) but it's a good price for a relatively well taken care of car. Any input would be very helpful.

go for it what opitons i work for mitsu and i no Ralliarts are alot of money but for 17 thats not to bad at all unless there is damage and the opitions on it suck

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
For a daily driver or a street monster an RA is a great place to start. If I where in the mindset of building a high horsepower 500+ monster I would look at the RA as a great way to pay for the 10k in engine and turbo mods to get there for the same price as an Evo.

For the track it's not so great, considering the advantages the Evo has in suspension, not the actual coilovers but the aluminum suspension pieces and the brakes the spindles can mount. Short of buying an entire front and rear suspension I see no way of converting the RA fully to Evo specs.

One nice thing about the RA suspension is that it uses a 8/9 USDM mechanical rear diff instead of AYC. I'm the biggest proponent of the AYC on the street or the track but it is a weak diff when it comes to serious abuse (like heavy tracking and super high HP). No pump or hassles to deal with.

Also, why not get the wagon? It's practical and will never appear on the Evo.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
go for it what opitons i work for mitsu and i no Ralliarts are alot of money but for 17 thats not to bad at all unless there is damage and the opitions on it suck
Do RA's have the same options as Evo's or are they different? What should I look for?

For a daily driver or a street monster an RA is a great place to start. If I where in the mindset of building a high horsepower 500+ monster I would look at the RA as a great way to pay for the 10k in engine and turbo mods to get there for the same price as an Evo.

For the track it's not so great, considering the advantages the Evo has in suspension, not the actual coilovers but the aluminum suspension pieces and the brakes the spindles can mount. Short of buying an entire front and rear suspension I see no way of converting the RA fully to Evo specs.

One nice thing about the RA suspension is that it uses a 8/9 USDM mechanical rear diff instead of AYC. I'm the biggest proponent of the AYC on the street or the track but it is a weak diff when it comes to serious abuse (like heavy tracking and super high HP). No pump or hassles to deal with.

Also, why not get the wagon? It's practical and will never appear on the Evo.
I'm not looking for a AutoX car so maybe an RA is sounding like it's what I want, hadn't really looked at the wagons but might give it a look. This one seemed like a good price so that's the only reason I'm considering an RA. So it's my understanding that the differences power wise were all bolt ons right? So basically I'd be able to put any bolt on that fits the evo to the ra?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The RA shares the active center diff (ACD) with the Evo. The Evo adds an active rear diff (AYC), where the ralliart retains the old USDM style mechanical real diff found on the 8/9's. The difference is pretty substaintial and if I was planning to go to the track occasionally, lightly modifying, and daily driving I can't say enough about the technology and coolness of the AYC.

If you want to pound the ground and go super modified many racers get rid of the AYC because it's weak at high power levels and tuning maps for it are not really "out there" yet. Most big racers convert to an older 8/9 style rear diff. This includes Group N and anyone in racing, as they usually start with an Evo X RS which is a mechanical rear diff just like the RA.

Practically any bolt on to the Evo works on the RA. The Evo has a twin scroll turbo and most people modding will immediately upgrade to that when swapping the single scroll turbo out of the RA. Ironically, on the high end turbo kits, they are all single scroll for the Evo. For instance, any AMS or MAP turbo kit will work on the RA.

Any Evo intake stuff will work on the RA provided you move the battery to the back.

Brakes are another issue. Since the RA uses different spindles none of the Evo brakes will work. I here there is a Corvette conversion that is popular. Check out the Ralliart forums for info.

All the suspension components (arms, geometry, spindles, etc) are different on the RA. They are stamped steel instead of cast aluminum.

The T-Case, SST, engine, are all the same on the Evo to the RA.

Some annoying things about converting upgrading the RA:

1) The tach only goes to 6500. I think you can use a Evo dash on it, but not sure.
2) The battery is in the engine bay on the RA. Moving it to the rear helps weight distro and gives you room for an Evo intake.
3) The fenders are obviously not as wide, so you can't run as wide wheels on the RA.
4) The stock seats (not the optional Recaros) suck

If you want to upgrade an RA to stock Evo specs thinking you'll save money it's a waste of time, get the Evo.

If you want to super modify and not feel bad about chucking some nice, expensive parts for some aftermarket part that's 5% better (like on the Evo) then the RA is a great place to save money.

Do RA's have the same options as Evo's or are they different? What should I look for?

I'm not looking for a AutoX car so maybe an RA is sounding like it's what I want, hadn't really looked at the wagons but might give it a look. This one seemed like a good price so that's the only reason I'm considering an RA. So it's my understanding that the differences power wise were all bolt ons right? So basically I'd be able to put any bolt on that fits the evo to the ra?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The RA shares the active center diff (ACD) with the Evo. The Evo adds an active rear diff (AYC), where the ralliart retains the old USDM style mechanical real diff found on the 8/9's. The difference is pretty substaintial and if I was planning to go to the track occasionally, lightly modifying, and daily driving I can't say enough about the technology and coolness of the AYC.

If you want to pound the ground and go super modified many racers get rid of the AYC because it's weak at high power levels and tuning maps for it are not really "out there" yet. Most big racers convert to an older 8/9 style rear diff. This includes Group N and anyone in racing, as they usually start with an Evo X RS which is a mechanical rear diff just like the RA.

Practically any bolt on to the Evo works on the RA. The Evo has a twin scroll turbo and most people modding will immediately upgrade to that when swapping the single scroll turbo out of the RA. Ironically, on the high end turbo kits, they are all single scroll for the Evo. For instance, any AMS or MAP turbo kit will work on the RA.

Any Evo intake stuff will work on the RA provided you move the battery to the back.

Brakes are another issue. Since the RA uses different spindles none of the Evo brakes will work. I here there is a Corvette conversion that is popular. Check out the Ralliart forums for info.

All the suspension components (arms, geometry, spindles, etc) are different on the RA. They are stamped steel instead of cast aluminum.

The T-Case, SST, engine, are all the same on the Evo to the RA.

Some annoying things about converting upgrading the RA:

1) The tach only goes to 6500. I think you can use a Evo dash on it, but not sure.
2) The battery is in the engine bay on the RA. Moving it to the rear helps weight distro and gives you room for an Evo intake.
3) The fenders are obviously not as wide, so you can't run as wide wheels on the RA.
4) The stock seats (not the optional Recaros) suck

If you want to upgrade an RA to stock Evo specs thinking you'll save money it's a waste of time, get the Evo.

If you want to super modify and not feel bad about chucking some nice, expensive parts for some aftermarket part that's 5% better (like on the Evo) then the RA is a great place to save money.
Man, all great info... I don't think I could have asked for a better expansion than that! :clap:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.