Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for coils. Virtually everyone I talk to tells me they're "noisy", or they "clunk and thump". Have inquired on an exponential amount of brands and read countless reviews.

Does anyone have coils, and have run them for a good period of time, and can confirm no audible change? This is driving me crazy. I feel like they should be solid if you're forking over $2K-$4K. Wtf?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The only one I've had that had absolutely ZERO change in noise is the HKS Hipermax 3 Street (not Sport). It comes with rubber upper mounts that dampen noise and reduce harshness. Other coilovers, even ones that reuse the stock top hat will make more noise.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Le Sigh.

Buys Evo, complains about it not being silent with aftermarket anything.

Silent doesn't = 'Solid' and it sure doesn't translate into how much you pay for anything. Suspension moves around by nature, and in turn you get suspension travel noise. Even from the factory our cars our known to be loud. That's what the volume up button is for on the radio.

Best of luck in your search dear friend. :dancebanana:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Do the ohlins clank? I'm about to throw down in some if these anyway.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lols sell the x and get a benz or something if your afraid of a little noise.
Not afraid of a little noise; That's not my point. It is my PREFERENCE to have a normal sounding suspension and surely there is way to achieve that with coils. I'm simply doing some homework. Thank you to everyone so far that wrote ACTUAL input.

·
Registered
614 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Robispec Clubsports on the Evo that went on in early 2009, KW v3s on eclipse since 2010, no noise. The Evo has been through 3 winters BTW.

Really good spherical mounts (Ohlins) or stock/rubber top mounts (KWs, ASTs) is the key to no noise.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bump for some weekday opinions/insight. Currently tossed between HKS Hipermax III, Tein Monoflex or a Fortune Auto setup. Any yays or nays appreciated.

Remember, it's not a "what's the best" coilover thread, it's a "least noise" coilover thread.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've run the BC Racing BR series for 3 months now and no noises so far

·
Registered
420 Posts
Bump for some weekday opinions/insight. Currently tossed between HKS Hipermax III, Tein Monoflex or a Fortune Auto setup. Any yays or nays appreciated.

Remember, it's not a "what's the best" coilover thread, it's a "least noise" coilover thread.
ZK had the HKS and said they are quiet.

Why only Japanese COs? You know they make them in Europe...a lot of people think they are better. Including me.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Tein or HKS may avoid pillow block noise and the spring "walking" knock (the spring rotates and makes a horrible clicking noise), but that is only one level of noise. Consider the effect 10k springs have on the matel interior plastics. My dash is a squeaky clicking noise maker on stock suspension..............

Been in a few 8/9's and one X with coilovers and 10k springs, even if the actual coilover doesn't make noise the rest of the car has 10 times more rattling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have ohlins dfv's(10k,10k) and they produce a significant amount of road noise compared to stock.

Also every squeak and rattle is enhanced.

I have no issues with the coilovers clunking just greatly increased cabin noise.

Anyone believing coilovers make no noise is kidding themselves.

Install swift spec r's or gtworx springs and call it a day.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Tein or HKS may avoid pillow block noise and the spring "walking" knock (the spring rotates and makes a horrible clicking noise), but that is only one level of noise. Consider the effect 10k springs have on the matel interior plastics. My dash is a squeaky clicking noise maker on stock suspension..............

Been in a few 8/9's and one X with coilovers and 10k springs, even if the actual coilover doesn't make noise the rest of the car has 10 times more rattling.
Japanese coilovers are more harsh than there European counterparts.

I have 9/10 and no noise, no creak...not a peep from the coilovers. Also no rattles but I can adjust them where they give a soft ride.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.