Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
so about 4 months ago i had my car aligned with my snow tires and then we didnt have any friggin snow! this week i put my new SSRs on the car and went from 18x8.5 to 18x9.5 wheels. The steering wheels vibrates heavily at 80mph now. Is it common practice to have the car re-aligned every time you swap wheels? these wheels were previously balanced before i put them on a few months ago.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Start off by taking each wheel off and do the star pattern when you re-tq them. Steering wheel shouldn't be vibrating, even at higher speeds. Also could be that you dont have hub rings. You shouldnt have to re-align, but some people do it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do have hub rings but had to order a new one from SSR. I did notice that when i installed it, the ring didnt snap in and just kind of loosely sat in the wheel. I couldnt even take it out to try and re insert it because of the clip that you install afterwards had locked it in. You think thats the problem?

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
If your steering wheel is shaking it could be that the wheels arent properly mounted - and if they aren't center when theyre mounted/tq'd it can cause damage to the wheel hub/bearings. Aside from your steering wheel, does anything else shake?

Check tire pressure on each tire. Check each wheel, make sure a wheel weight hasn't fallen off one of them.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Its most likely the balance. Get it re-balanced at the same place for free. If its still vibrating get it roadforced, it will tell you if you have a defective tire from the factory. Happened to me once.

·
Registered
709 Posts
i do have hub rings but had to order a new one from SSR. I did notice that when i installed it, the ring didnt snap in and just kind of loosely sat in the wheel. I couldnt even take it out to try and re insert it because of the clip that you install afterwards had locked it in. You think thats the problem?

That could be an issue. What did you torque the lugs to? Make sure the wheel is fully seated on the hub. It can sometimes take MORE than the required lug torque to do that if the hub ring is really tight. If this is a concern, check run out on each wheel.

If they were balanced and installed on the car before and you never noticed the issue, then rebalancing wouldn't solve it. The wheels aren't just going to magically go out of balance unless a weight fell off or something. Unlikely to happen when they are being stored.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
Its most likely the balance. Get it re-balanced at the same place for free. If its still vibrating get it roadforced, it will tell you if you have a defective tire from the factory. Happened to me once.
:+1: Vibrating at high speeds sounds more like a tire balance issue.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill try and get a new hub ring and start from there. I didnt get to ride on them before so i dont know if the balance on those tires was correct, but id assume my alignment wouldnt just go out for no reason. i'll update in a week or so.

·
Registered
709 Posts
ill try and get a new hub ring and start from there. I didnt get to ride on them before so i dont know if the balance on those tires was correct, but id assume my alignment wouldnt just go out for no reason. i'll update in a week or so.

Oh, I thought that you had already had them on the car. That doesn't rule out the balancing then. They very well could be out from not being done correctly in the first place. I'd get them checked before you spend money on rings.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Could also be a storage issue and the tire may be slightly deformed. Drive with them for a while and see if it smooths out. Mine have done that. 15-20 highway miles will get them good and warm and should even everything out if it is a tire flattening issue from prolonged sitting or stacking. Just saying, start simple and work towards more complex.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
If the car is slightly shaking at high speeds (as in shakes for a bit and goes away) it is more than likely your hub rings. The hub rings need to sit tight into the rim and flush for them to work correctly.

If your car is shaking violently at 80+km/h you need to check the tires, more than likely it is a balancing issue or your tire pressure is low.

Just went through this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.