Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys as the title says I'm currently experiencing some slippage in between gears while shifting WOT. Clutches seem to be holding the power great in every gear up until the point where I shift. Revs shoot up and seem to hover like the clutches are trying to catch but they never fully do. I'm currently in the middle of a flex tune and am waiting to here back from the tuner but figured I post up and get some opinions while I wait.

What are the odds this is something that can be tuned out? Car just rolled over 51k miles and if I had to guess the TQ may be around 330-340 on E85 so far. It was 319 when we finished the 93oct part of the tune and I don't remember experiencing any slippage during it

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:confused: guess everyone here was smart enough to buy a GSR and avoid these issues

Reactions: YCEvoX

· Registered
30 Posts
A tuner did tune my evo x, it turns out that he tune it boost comes in too early and too hard, so the torque limiter from the ecu, just lets the gearbox slip to protect the fork i suppose, and once the throttle is let go, CEL is up with clutch pessure 2 low pressure and other bunch of CEL.

Hope this helps

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope this is the issue but I just noticed a leak around my transmission filter... trying to figure out right now what exactly is leaking. I do remember reading somewhere about the ecu seeing boost over 25-26 psi and doing something with the transmission. I am hitting 26psi for a second according to my logs.

· Registered
30 Posts
I am no sst expert, but it could be overfill sst oil. My tuner remap my evo and keep hammering with overboost with constant sst slip, but i notice no leaks or whatsoever. But when it slips, do you have any CEL popping up? I have replied to you another thread.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No cel at all when slipping. If I stay in it though the slowdown transmission overheat warning will come on for a second.

Not an expert either on this but I assume an overfill would result in low pressure of the clutches same with overfilling the oil in an engine.

· Registered
275 Posts
Can't remember where I read it, but yeah like frooyoo mentioned above if it's overfilled it'll overheat faster, and when it starts to get too hot one of the safety things built in is slipping.

To my knowledge as well that's a very easy thing to rule out anyway. Just pull the side plug. I'm not sure what the official name is, check level bolt?

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I stay in it though the slowdown transmission overheat warning will come on for a second.
And the more wear you are putting on your disks - which significantly shortens their useful life. Just like normal dry clutches.

Stop doing that.
u

Only did it once on purpose so I could get a log of it happening. Took about 2 seconds for the overheat warning to come on and turn off.

I've babied this car for the past 3 years of owning it. Followed all the guidelines, letting the fluid get up to temp before getting into boost, only driving in manual mode s-sport even putting her in N at long stop lights. Just rolled over 51,000 miles. Never tracked or launched.

Just my luck I guess haha

· Registered
30 Posts
MR shuga, the same exact thing happens to me.

Scenario: asc off off, 2nd gear 3700 rpm, half throttle, boost start to kicks in hard, it slip. 3 second later overheating and slow down pop up, lost power. 5 second later, sst service require pop up, and so those the CEL. 5 seconds later, power back on but CEL stays.

And when diagnose, the codes were;

P1877, P1878, P181E, P181B

But boosting on stock springs at 0.8 bar, approx. 11psi. Without boost pills, without using the stock boost solenoid, no problems whatsoever.

But now, replace the hose with OEM black hose and boost pill in it, the last pull was at 1.43 bar approx. 20psi. No CEL, no overheating, clutch grips and go, pull at any rpm and at any gear.

Until now it still remains a mystery.

But are you still using the stock boost solenoid with OEM rubber hose?

· Registered
58 Posts
I have to keep trans in Sport + in order to get a decent 1-2 shift at WOT (420hp/340 TQ). Other modes result in major slip unless I short shift it at 5k (1-2 shift). I've been out of loop in this arena for awhile, wonder if it's possible now to change shift pressures in these other modes so WOT shifts can happen without slipping.

Todd

· Registered
30 Posts
For all that i know, there is different torque settings for different drives, in s-sport, it allows higher torque settings and clamps at higher torque, with allow higher oil pressure. In this mode, it has higher clamping and more jerking shifts.

In normal mode, it has lower oil pressure, hence lower torque settings, hence slip at higher torque receive. But in this mode, stock maps shifts for comfort and less jerking.

But if you want to quick shift in all modes and at any rpm, then if i'm not wrong, you need to bump up the torque setting in reflash.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

· Registered
28 Posts
You should always drive the SSt in super sport as it helps prolong the life of the clutches. The reasoning you are experiencing the slipping in normal mode is because you make more power than stock and the clutches are slipped more in that mode for comfort.

· Registered
30 Posts
So guys as the title says I'm currently experiencing some slippage in between gears while shifting WOT. Clutches seem to be holding the power great in every gear up until the point where I shift. Revs shoot up and seem to hover like the clutches are trying to catch but they never fully do. I'm currently in the middle of a flex tune and am waiting to here back from the tuner but figured I post up and get some opinions while I wait.

What are the odds this is something that can be tuned out? Car just rolled over 51k miles and if I had to guess the TQ may be around 330-340 on E85 so far. It was 319 when we finished the 93oct part of the tune and I don't remember experiencing any slippage during it
Did you get to the bottom of this slip issue?

· Registered
18 Posts
A tuner did tune my evo x, it turns out that he tune it boost comes in too early and too hard, so the torque limiter from the ecu, just lets the gearbox slip to protect the fork i suppose, and once the throttle is let go, CEL is up with clutch pessure 2 low pressure and other bunch of CEL.

Hope this helps
I encountered the same issue at 370 ft lbs so I detuned itto 320ft lbs. I think bigger turbos suit SST more so the power is more in the mid and top end.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts