Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Ralliart about a month ago I notice that the car was shifting a little slow. I would up shift and the car would not change gears right away but rev about another 500rpm and then shift. In sport mode it wont shift until 7500 and my redline is 6500. I get cold weather grind on the startup as well.
I took my car to the dealer and they said they found no code and everything was OK, but recommended the tranny fluid and filter change. I even took the service manager on a test drive and he said that he saw nothing wrong with the way it shifts. This is the same dealer that took 2 weeks to figure out that I had bad gas in my tank after replacing the fuel pump.
I dont want to get rid of my car but if it become a money trap, I will.
Should I try a different dealer or change the tranny fluid or trade her in.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yep, it sounds like you're on the right track. Get the SST fluid+filter changed... and keep bugging the dealer if you're not happy afterwards.

The fluid change may well make it a happy trans again.

If you have a good relationship with the dealer, you could try to reach an advance agreement about who wears the cost of the fluid/filter change if the transmission keeps making funny startup noises, keeps shifting poorly, and ends up getting replaced under warranty. It will surely annoy you to get a $500 bill for work that turns out to have been a pointless exercise... so discuss that possible outcome with the dealer first. Like, what if the SST needs a warranty replacement within 6 weeks of the fluid work? Talk through it first.

At least then you'll go in with your eyes open, knowing where you stand.

Rich

PS. I reckon it'll be sorted by the fluid change. I'm an optimist. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wondering if I should use OEM or FFL2, because if my tranny fails I want it to have OEM fluid in it. The dealer told me that I should have it done because I live in a harsh climate. I didnt think New England was that harsh.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Question:

(1) Is the actual shift slow

or

(2) the shift is normal speed but there is a delay (latency) between when you command the shift (either paddle or console) and when it gets executed?

·
Registered
146 Posts
How long of a delay do you estimate between the actual engagement of the shifter to when the car goes into gear? Even in Sport mode on the Ralliart, there can be a slight delay. The MR's S-Sport is about as close to "instant" as possible with this transmission.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Condition #2 is very common. It can - intermittently - take up to a second after the shift command is given for the box to actually start the shift. I've not noticed the same variable delay in d/shifting though. The shift completes normally, it's just later than desired (expected?).

I noticed it on my MR from day 1 - no matter whether in Normal, Sport or S-Sport modes (manual). Sometimes it's there and sometimes not. Haven't associated it with any particular driver behavior or cold, hot, length of running time, etc.

Curiously I've never seen this behavior on the track.

Don't know what to tell you about the 7300-7500 RPM auto shift points. That sounds like an ECU tune issue (was the stock tune updated recently?). What RPM is fuel cut on the RA engine?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ohhh, yeah, good catch! Stock Ralliart rev limiter is 6800. There's no way you can be touching 7500rpm on stock tune.

Did you buy this car new? From the same dealer you're taking it to now?

From the description of this issue, it sounds a lot like after-market tune behaviour. I've been working on SST tune stuff for razorlab's series of free base maps. Older versions of the tune could have this delay... and I've made SST changes that have introduced the delay (as an unwanted side-effect).

So... bought from new? Guaranteed "flash-free" history?

Rich

·
Registered
107 Posts
its very add .
if you ask me , go to check it again in the dealership .

....also , just to be sure , go & find another Rally art car (friend or ..) and
check his car compare to your car .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.