Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as the title states, my first hose clamp that comes from the turbo compressor to the IC literally shattered off of my hose while I was making a simple pass on I-5. It sounded like a very very loud bang followed by metal clanging in my engine bay. I saw the clamp fall out behind the car and I thought I had just blewn my MBC off... I pulled over to the side of the rode to see my compressor-IC hose just hanging there and decided it was a good time to drive very conservatively until I go buy a new clamp.

So, now I'm off to Autozone to go buy one and am now considering getting a hardpipe kit with t-bolt clamps.

Do tell if anyone else experiences this. And my boost is set to 23 PSI. I figure this was a 1 time deal, but still, had I known what I used to know a year ago, I'd be SOL as there was no CEL, simply bang.

-US

·
Registered
847 Posts
You'll be OK. A lot of CT9A owners (myself included) encountered the 'big bang' when the stock hose blew off the throttle body and we watched as black smoke billowed from behind us. You'll live.

Manual boost controllers put a more steady amount of pressure on the charged air portion of your piping and the weakest link will typically be the first one to pop. If you're using the car as a daily driver, I would suggest against t-bolt clamps and go with constant torque drive clamps instead. They self-adjust with heat cycle, unlike static hose clamps/t-bolt clamps. While I haven't seen the t-bolt clamps pop off, I have seen them create some nasty boost leaks after a season of warm and then cold weather.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
. If you're using the car as a daily driver, I would suggest against t-bolt clamps and go with constant torque drive clamps instead. They self-adjust with heat cycle, unlike static hose clamps/t-bolt clamps. While I haven't seen the t-bolt clamps pop off, I have seen them create some nasty boost leaks after a season of warm and then cold weather.
Thats interesting, I didn't know that. The T bolt clamps have never failed me but this is my first dd turbo vehicle. thanks.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Virtually all rubber hose compresses "cold flow" after installation of a clamping device, resulting in an almost immediate torque loss that can exceed 80% of installation torque. Similarly, virtually all metal connections expand as a system heats up, and then contracts as the system cools. Conventional worm-gear, T-Bolt, and other clamps are passive, in that expansion and contraction of components cannot be compensated for without retightening or loosening the clamps. The constant toruqe clamping system is an "active" clamp mechanism, which monitors and then compensates for the temperature changes by actually changing diameter through a unique worm-gear Belleville assembly.
Some benefits:

- Quadra-lock construction - housing orbitally riveted to saddle at 4 points providing extra strength.
- Liner protects soft or silicone hose from damage, extrusion or shear.
- Eliminates the sometimes necessary replacement of expensive "single use" clamps during routine or emergency maintenance.
- Energy store in compressed Belleville springs controls automatic clamp adjustment.
- Torque Check - permits visual assurance that the clamp is properly installed.
- Stainless steel -- virtually unlimited product life - won't rust or corrode and is reuseable.

·
Hero of the day - 4/5/09
1,550 Posts
Great info KMX, (now that I see that image) I have seen them before but never knew what they were called. Looks like one of the good first mods to do then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.