Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I believe I introduced myself on here before, anyways I'm Soundwave, I am in SOCAL :)

This doesn't have much to with the title or Evos, you can skip this:
I just sold my 2005 sti on Saturday, the 28th. I MAINLY wanted to sell it for the sole purpose of wanting a white car (it was black, but I wanted the car so badly, I just bought it). So I posted for sale in hopes of going for a white 06 sti; ended up selling the 05 for 15k (I wasn't expecting it to sell for that much nor was I expecting to sell it that day!). I am without a car at the moment, SO, I am not strapped to a seat focusing on the road and other drivers and dangers and whatnot; I am left in the house with a lot of thinking time. . . and I have come to the conclusion; I will scrap the idea of getting the 06 and going straight for an X.

This is the Evo stuff:
I am looking for an Evo X, a gsr, ww, preferably sss, I want black wheels (the stock enkei wheels, do those come from the factory in white and black?). I am sort of on a budget and I am guessing it would be smart to go for an 08. I have been told, almost every time I talk of buying an sti or evo, that I, or anyone for that matter, should buy a used turbo car. I don't mind I guess.

I am no mechanic but I know stuff here and there when it comes to cars. I am currently looking at an 08 gsr with 35k miles; it's at a small dealer so idk if they would just try to sell a messed up car to get it off their back. I have only seen pictures (I am going to look at it later this week) and from what I see from the pics, there may be an intake and an exhaust system; those are the only visible possible mods.

This is where I need help, what should I look for? I've done some research on the x of course. I would like your guys' opinions. Is there any way of telling if there was a rebuild or anything? Should I veer away because it has those mods (I bought my sti 100% stock and kept it that way, I don't plan to mod the Evo. IF it does have an exhaust and intake, I'll put it back to stock. I'm sure I'll have to tune back to stock right?)?

Any common issues with the Evo? Opinions on the issues? Transmission problems? Engine problems?

Any advice would help, especially when I go look at the car. I also plan on taking pics of the engine so I can post here (maybe that'll be useful xD).

Thanks!

If I don't post for a day or two, I'm busy; doesn't mean I'm neglecting the thread and not checking it for help that you guys will so gladly post :)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Stock Enkei wheels only come in silver.
The shifting is very notchy from 1-2 on the 5sd manual. What helps is if you change it to a lighter fluid (Redline 85). What also helps with shifting from 1-2 is changing the front engine motor mount to a stiffer one, although you sacrifice comfort as the cabin shakes like a mofo. I've tried changing the underhood and base bushings, but those don't really help in my opinion, nor does changing it to a short shifter. It's usually very notchy in the cold morning, but once you're warmed up, itll be fine. Just couple of notches here and there. So far I've encountered no problems with the engine, although I haven't done too much stuff besides a drop in filter, cat back, upper ic pipe, and tune.

As far as the rebuild part, I have no idea how you would tell. I don't know how you would tell if there has been a tune in the past unless you hook it up and see. Generally, I would stay away from USED affordable performance cars, frequently bought by people that don't necessarily take car of their cars. But buying used is a crap shoot, so I suggest taking a test drive to see if there seems to be noticeable issues when driving. Also, taking a look at the vehicle history and etc.

I would suggest looking at this thread as it has some very useful things for 08 owners.
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33641

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool thanks for the info and the links; very helpful. Just my luck though, I go to check out the car after it being at the dealer for more than a month and the day I went, it had sold a few hours before; so the hunt continues.

Yeah I have only test driven a couple evos and I did notice the notchy gearbox; that is normal and not harmful correct? You don't have to upgrade to a better oil do you?

However, I realized over the past days that I am really interested in an Apex silver evo.

On another note; Is there any way the dash screen in the 08 can be switched out for the screens in the newer models?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
nope.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check the front brake calipers as an indication of whether or not the car has been tracked. They will discolor pretty quickly when they get hot - mine are a very dark brown with goldish lettering instead of cherry red/white.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Regarding notchy shifting, it is definitely normal, harmful... in a normal manual transmission yes, but I think in the evo's case I don't know if it's harmful because that is just how the evo's transmission is. It's always gonna be there and it's never gonna go away, not matter how much accessories(underhood bushings, fluid, shifter, knob) you change out. Just be prepared for that and think about if you can live with the notchy shifting from 1-2. If not, then look for another car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks for the brakes tip!

Yeah I don't mind the notchy shifting (if it isn't harmful).

So I am looking at a 2008 gsr right now. It is AS, NO SSS, it has a tbe and an intake but guy says he will sell it stock for me. It has 15k miles. What's a good price for this car?

There may be a thread for this but I wanted to post this in my thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.