Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Automotive News has been pumping out a ton of information about the General's future products, and between buffing fingerprints off the crystal ball and making phone calls to unnamed sources, they've shed some light on the future of Pontiac.

According to AN, we can expect to get a hard-top version of the Solstice sometime in 2008 as a 2009 model, complete with a revised powerplant that will boost output, although there was no mention of changes to the GXP. Pontiac will stick with the in-line four for the time being, as a V6 variant is officially off the table, and by 2011 it's assumed that new sheetmetal will adorn the Pontiac and possibly its Saturn-badged brother.

The remake of GM's performance brand will also include the demise of the Torrent, while the G5 will be replaced with the RWD Alpha platform by 2010 – unless CAFE standards put those plans on hold.

Naturally, the big non-news is the upcoming G8, with V8 power and rear-wheel drive, which is expected to be the flagship of the brand. Base models will come equipped with a 261 HP 3.6-liter V6, while the GT model will boast a six-liter V8 producing 362 HP. The bad news: don't expect to see a GTO or Firebird in the near future, as GM contends that the market isn't ripe for offering too many high-po gas-guzzlers. Disappointing, to say the least, but if the Camaro explodes, we'd expect both vehicles to see the light of day.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solstice coupe? That thing is HOT sex. I love it. Oh man...it makes my man parts tingle.

They better come out with a redline.

A Redline Solctice? Your thinking Sky. I'm sure there will be a GXP version. TMI on your man parts tingling.

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
(it still is no mx-5)
+1 why is the MX-5 the only one with a trunk? I know most people don't but that type of car as a functional daily driver but at least make an effort.. I should be able to put the top down and have a trunk at the same time! (see MX-5 and MX-5 PRHT for reference).

·
video slacker
1,075 Posts
Might wanna look into that a little further. The Solstice has exceptional handling.

The MX5 has history of being one of the best handling cars made but the Solstice is nice at handling. I'm not so sure about the Sky, didn't get to ever really romp on one.

·
Premium Member
3,613 Posts
Might wanna look into that a little further. The Solstice has exceptional handling.

The MX5 has history of being one of the best handling cars made but the Solstice is nice at handling. I'm not so sure about the Sky, didn't get to ever really romp on one.
Sky is heavier, but looks prettier. The Solstice w/ the ZOK Package is very nice, and the other current big advantage over the Miata in autox is wheel width. However, effective last month, there is now a SCCA legal suspension package for the MX-5 that may even things up a bit. Also, the top and interior is so much nicer on the Miata and I personally despise the front end on the Solstice. I also think in another year or so, there will be an MS version of the MX-5.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.