Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the FP Green turbo a DIRECT replacement for the factory turbo? As in it will bolt up to all factory intake & exhaust components? I want to reuse all factory heat shields without trimming as well. Is this possible?

Secondly, what are the absolute bare MINIMUM supporting mods I can get by with at the time of turbo install to make car SAFELY streetable? I self-tune so no worries there.

My goals aren't as extreme as some users, so I am trying to keep this car as close to "turbo only" as possible in the mods department. Also, I would like to respectively request members without experience with this turbo upgrade not to offer their "opinions". Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yes its a direct swap, and least supporting mods? Maybe just injectors... I do no have the turbo buts its pretty clear...

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
Injectors and a pump.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
Btw, the Walbro 255 is good for the Green.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Injectors and a pump.
So on your turbo upgrade did you actually see a fuel pressure drop in the upper rpms on the stock fuel pump? Figured injectors might be necessary, but i am surprised the stock fuel pump would be that easily maxed out.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
To get enough out of the Green, yes, you need a pump. Ask Clipse3GT, he essentially told me what to do with mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To get enough out of the Green, yes, you need a pump. Ask Clipse3GT, he essentially told me what to do with mine.
OK, well hopefully Clipse3GT will chime in then. Maybe he even has some logs of the stock fuel pump maxing out I could look at.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Fuel pump i dont think would be too nesecary, esp since your not doing any bolt ons.. so your not really going to get everything you want out of the green. But if you want to push it to the max, then yes you will need a pump. If not no you wont, CBRD told me i wouldnt need a pump for their BBX turbo which flows more than a green. So obviously you don't need it, its just how far you want to go with it..

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
the way i see it is you might as well get all the bolt ons (intake, uicp, licp, ic, dp, tp, exhaust, 3port and a bov. Theres really no point in spending money on a aftermarket turbo and keeping everything else stock. You are going to net around the same numbers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the way i see it is you might as well get all the bolt ons (intake, uicp, licp, ic, dp, tp, exhaust, 3port and a bov. Theres really no point in spending money on a aftermarket turbo and keeping everything else stock. You are going to net around the same numbers.
Well I think all the mods you just listed will cost substancially more than the FP Green does, and if they will yield the same gains then I guess I don't really follow your way of thinking. Could be wrong on the pricing though.

I personally like a stock looking car that runs hard too! With the new turbo it won't even look like I am modded.:D

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
depending if u can find used parts that you want... $2400 for the turbo + $400 for injectors + $170 for fuel pump.

If you can find used parts you can probably get the bolt ons for cheaper. Regardless of the price i just think its pointless to swap turbos when the stock turbo will net the same power that you will have with just the fp green and stock parts.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
you can get away without doing pump and injectors, you will make a little less power, but otherwise you wont notice..

balls out?
fpgreen + TBE + fic1100's + pump + cams + 3port + filter + e85 = funtimes

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
A FP Green will be seriously limited without injectors. I would consider them required. I hit about 75% IDC on FIC 1100 and Bosch 044 with a FP Green maxed out.

So I think it would be wise to do INJ/PUMP just for a safety margin.

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
If you just throw on the turbo, there are so many parts that are limiting your potential power. The back pressure with the stock exhaust is going cause it to spool a little slower than optimum. With just an FP Green and no supporting mods, i don't think you'd be able to go much over 350 if at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
depending if u can find used parts that you want... $2400 for the turbo + $400 for injectors + $170 for fuel pump.

If you can find used parts you can probably get the bolt ons for cheaper. Regardless of the price i just think its pointless to swap turbos when the stock turbo will net the same power that you will have with just the fp green and stock parts.
Holy hell man! I thought that turbo was only like $1700. I am gonna have to go back and reasearch that. Thanks

A FP Green will be seriously limited without injectors. I would consider them required. I hit about 75% IDC on FIC 1100 and Bosch 044 with a FP Green maxed out.

So I think it would be wise to do INJ/PUMP just for a safety margin.
Yeah, I was thinking the injectors would be necessary. Did you run new injectors with the stock pump or did you do pump/inectors together? Just wondering if you swapped pump do to fuel pressure loss at wot, or if it was more a safety factor?

If you just throw on the turbo, there are so many parts that are limiting your potential power. The back pressure with the stock exhaust is going cause it to spool a little slower than optimum. With just an FP Green and no supporting mods, i don't think you'd be able to go much over 350 if at all.
Good info. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
you can probably find the venture bearing for 1700, but the new bb fp greens are around 2400-2700. And if like someone said, with stock exhaust parts + venture bearing, you are going to spool really slow. Even if you made 350, i would consider it a down grade compaired to what the car can make if done correctly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Is this not the right turbo? It says $1700 on the website.
https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=193_199_250&products_id=1660

Also, I just wanted to add that in my experiences building/tuning mostly LS based cars, that any time you do a mod that requires more fuel you are making more power than a mod that does not require more fuel. It does not matter if you are comparing turbos to turbos, turbos to bolt ons, or bolt ons to bolt ons. HP is essentially determined by how much air/fuel you can cram into each cylinder. My point is that if full bolt ons does not require more fuel and a turbo swap does than the turbo is making more power. Am I making sense?

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
It's different with a turbo. We've got so many restrictions that the turbo gets air starved and can't fulfill it's potential.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you can probably find the venture bearing for 1700, but the new bb fp greens are around 2400-2700. And if like someone said, with stock exhaust parts + venture bearing, you are going to spool really slow. Even if you made 350, i would consider it a down grade compaired to what the car can make if done correctly.
Got ya, did not even know they offered the FP Green with a bb set-up. Good to know. Well anyways enough with comparing bolt-ons to turbos. Maybe some other users with FP Greens will chime in and let us know whether most are running the standard or bb setup.

I am very curious now because most of the feedback I have read says that everyone is happy with the close to stock spool-up with the green. Wondering which bearing style now.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts