Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing up installing my SSP cooler kit, and I must say it is a very well put together package. As much as it pained me to spend $950 on something that Mitsu should have included stock, I am really satisfied with the product.

My issue is around the removal of a bracket on the front clip. The install guide makes a quick reference to removing the rivets that hold this bracket to the core support, but that confuses me. If I remove all the rivets, the top of the front clip now is unsupported and no longer connected. It would seem to me that dremeling off that single support would make more sense, as I can still keep the clip attached to core support with the four remaining tabs. To be fair, SSP has been sent me over 20 pictures and been fantastic, I just cannot wrap my head around leaving my front end unsecured like that. Plus, before I go cutting/drilling anything, I'd like to be absolutely sure. If you've installed this kit, any help and advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I am finishing up installing my SSP cooler kit, and I must say it is a very well put together package. As much as it pained me to spend $950 on something that Mitsu should have included stock, I am really satisfied with the product.

My issue is around the removal of a bracket on the front clip. The install guide makes a quick reference to removing the rivets that hold this bracket to the core support, but that confuses me. If I remove all the rivets, the top of the front clip now is unsupported and no longer connected. It would seem to me that dremeling off that single support would make more sense, as I can still keep the clip attached to core support with the four remaining tabs. To be fair, SSP has been sent me over 20 pictures and been fantastic, I just cannot wrap my head around leaving my front end unsecured like that. Plus, before I go cutting/drilling anything, I'd like to be absolutely sure. If you've installed this kit, any help and advice would be appreciated.
The two rivets that they say to dremel out that attach to the centre mount??? I removed that mount right out of there. It was a major pain but it had to be done! You will have to customize a few things to make the kit work. Need anything else just ask bro

AV

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two rivets that they say to dremel out that attach to the centre mount??? I removed that mount right out of there. It was a major pain but it had to be done! You will have to customize a few things to make the kit work. Need anything else just ask bro

AV
Yep, that longer center mount, that normally bolts right below the hood latch mechanism. THAT needs to come off only, correct? Because that particular piece is attached with a spot weld. Said spot weld is attached to a long metal piece that the four remaining tabs are also spot welded to. This long piece of metal is what is riveted in. If I remove the rivets, all the tabs are no longer attached, correct?? I would consider myself a relatively intelligent person, but this is driving me nuts, I feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yep, that longer center mount, that normally bolts right below the hood latch mechanism. THAT needs to come off only, correct? Because that particular piece is attached with a spot weld. Said spot weld is attached to a long metal piece that the four remaining tabs are also spot welded to. This long piece of metal is what is riveted in. If I remove the rivets, all the tabs are no longer attached, correct?? I would consider myself a relatively intelligent person, but this is driving me nuts, I feel like an idiot.
yeah thats the bitch right there. I drilled out all the spot welds, rivets and took a shit load of prying to get it off. I ended up grinding the latch off to allow more access to get the drill in.

I also removed the front bumper crash support which was a pain but it allowed for easier drilling and access of the cooler itself.

The top plastic tray the sits on top of the sst cooler and intercooler pipes has to be cut to fit as well since it won't sit flush after the cooler is installed

AV

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah thats the bitch right there. I drilled out all the spot welds, rivets and took a shit load of prying to get it off. I ended up grinding the latch off to allow more access to get the drill in.

I also removed the front bumper crash support which was a pain but it allowed for easier drilling and access of the cooler itself.

The top plastic tray the sits on top of the sst cooler and intercooler pipes has to be cut to fit as well since it won't sit flush after the cooler is installed

AV
Intercooler pipes?? Now I'm really confused...

I figured I could just leave the welds intact and cut the bitch off. I can't understand the point of removing the rivets.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29224&stc=1&d=1332278753

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Intercooler pipes?? Now I'm really confused...

I figured I could just leave the welds intact and cut the bitch off. I can't understand the point of removing the rivets.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29224&stc=1&d=1332278753
You need to remove that entire centre support. Drilling out the welds and rivets was the only way I managed to do that.

****be careful not to drill through the bumper***

On another note... nothing to do with this... when you reinstall the top plastic trim piece that sits atop the cooler and atop the UICP you will need to cut the rubber trim piece in order for it to fit.

Hope that makes more sense ;)

AV

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to remove that entire centre support. Drilling out the welds and rivets was the only way I managed to do that.

****be careful not to drill through the bumper***

On another note... nothing to do with this... when you reinstall the top plastic trim piece that sits atop the cooler and atop the UICP you will need to cut the rubber trim piece in order for it to fit.

Hope that makes more sense ;)

AV
Cool...but after you removed that entire support, you still attached the now seperated support to the core support using the tabs that remain....but it is no longer attached to the acutal front clip, because the rivets were removed....this is correct?

·
Registered
678 Posts
No the support went in the trash lol

It got in the way of the FMTC anyways if you look you will see it will not clear the cooler. Removed and hucked in the trash. Its not really needed

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No the support went in the trash lol

It got in the way of the FMTC anyways if you look you will see it will not clear the cooler. Removed and hucked in the trash. Its not really needed
Ok...now I'm beginning to get it. But, that support consituted the bulk of the how the front clip is actually ATTACHED to the front end. You haven't had any issues with leaving all four of those tabs unattached to the top of your clip? If so, that means the whole front clip is now held on by two bolts in the front and the plastic tabs by the fender? Going 120mph at the track without that support makes me leary, and is the main reason I'm so confused. Thanks for putting up with the back and forth, I just don't want to jack this up.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ok...now I'm beginning to get it. But, that support consituted the bulk of the how the front clip is actually ATTACHED to the front end. You haven't had any issues with leaving all four of those tabs unattached to the top of your clip? If so, that means the whole front clip is now held on by two bolts in the front and the plastic tabs by the fender? Going 120mph at the track without that support makes me leary, and is the main reason I'm so confused. Thanks for putting up with the back and forth, I just don't want to jack this up.
Dude you are lost.

Look at the picture you posted up

Do you see the centre mount that comes down from the top of the bumper? It is only supported to the vehicle by 1 clip that you already removed to get the bumper off. That clip attaches to the base of the mount and clips into the front crash support near where the stock outside temperature sensor sits. (which also has to be relocated)

That mount must be removed!!!

Any way you take it off is going to be a pain! Grab a grinder and a drill and remove it from the bumper itself.

The bumper is 150% fine without that mount and the 1 clip that supports it to the vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.