Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Most likely in chat
2,525 Posts
They go inside the torque damper. After heavy use it is possible to destroy a spring inside the torque damper, which in turn destroys the other springs. You know you have this problem if you take the tq damper out and can hear little bits of spring rattling inside, or if little pieces fall out.
The damper needs to be cut open, the springs installed, and everything welded back together ensuring the correct tolerances.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They go inside the torque damper. After heavy use it is possible to destroy a spring inside the torque damper, which in turn destroys the other springs. You know you have this problem if you take the tq damper out and can hear little bits of spring rattling inside, or if little pieces fall out.
The damper needs to be cut open, the springs installed, and everything welded back together ensuring the correct tolerances.
Gracious

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I wonder if SSP has plans to offer this upgrade with a core exchange program, where would get the complete damper assembly with the springs installed and send in the stock one afterward... Or I guess you could pay them to do the work too...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if SSP has plans to offer this upgrade with a core exchange program, where would get the complete damper assembly with the springs installed and send in the stock one afterward... Or I guess you could pay them to do the work too...
+1
since my motor is being built right now.....;)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Most likely in chat
2,525 Posts
It would be nice to have a complete unit you could just buy... as someone who has gone through a tq damper repair job, it is a real pain in the ass.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Iirc those springs are stock-replacements and not an upgrade. Since nothing is available for stock replacements...

·
Registered
7,237 Posts

Correct, but unfortunalty these springs can....and do quite often fail under normal use. I've never broken them in mine (539 whp) and Kozmic27 aka Eric hasn't broken his (500+whp) so IMHO it's not directly related to power increases.

If we have core units in stock at the time this is not a problem. But regardless, we need to do this work in house. It's a very tedious and delicate procedure replacing the tq damper springs, plastic sleeves and shims. Not to mention....you have to cut the entire damper open just to get to the springs, and then manage to weld it all back together with out melting the plastic sleeves, and not warping the actual damper. Usually takes 2-3 hours just to weld it back together.

Iirc those springs are stock-replacements and not an upgrade. Since nothing is available for stock replacements...

Yes, you are correct. But I'd also like to add that simply replacing these springs does NOT necessarily mean the "tq damper code" will go away. And what I mean is: Obviously the "mechanical" part of the problem is fixed, but it seems that more then one issue can trigger the actual code, and simply replacing the springs in some instances doesn't fix the route cause of the issue.

This was recently the case with a Ralliart we had in the shop, and was only fixed after replacing it with a used one. And there in lies the issue, to get a used damper....you need to purchase the entire transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts