Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so if you're like me, you want an MR, but are hesitant to get it due to the fact that it has the SST rather than the 5MT.

I figured we could start a thread and list our worries about the SST transmission, and if any of us heard anything that should put a given fear to rest, we could quote the person and post the reply.

Now, as I understand it, there is a normal mode, sport mode, and supersport mode. Fee free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

The normal mode is sufficient for putting around town, and it automatically shifts for you.

The sport mode is more aggressive, shifts faster, and at a higher RPM. I think in this mode will allow you to do the shifting, unless you hit redline or so, in which case it will shift for you.

The supersport mode is like sport mode, except it won't ever shift for you, with the exception of the case where you go WOT at a low RPM, it will auto downshift for you.

So without further ado, my fears, worries, and questions:

-I'd honestly like the car to start off in sport mode by default. It will just help me feed connected to the car. If I wanted it to shift for me, I'd like to specify that, not have it be that way by default. Can I change this?

-In supersport mode, I think it's cute how it will auto downshift for you, but really, I'm fine. I'd rather not have that happen. After all, for tuning purposes and dyno pulls alone, I wouldn't be able to do what needs to be done if it was constantly downshifting for me. I'd want to change this. Would I need a TCU hack? some kind of piggyback? Would it be possible at all?

-I know how to fix a 5MT. I do it more often than I'd care to. I know jackshit about how the SST works internally. Will they be harder to work on than a traditional 5MT?

-The trans weighs ~50lbs more than the manual. Sure, we can't fix that, but I'd just like to complain about that. :)

-Will the TCU (transmission Control Unit) be a thorn in my side? Will it be another obstacle while modifying the car?

-How robust is the transmission itself? Will it be a limiting factor in terms of power? How about the clutches? Ultimately will this transmission be more limited in terms of power than a manual?

-Upgrades - will this transmission be more or less upgradeable than the 5MT?

-If it gets totally destroyed, will I have trouble finding one used? Will it cost me an arm and a leg?

-This is a first gen trans for mitsubishi, vs the 5MT that's a more robust version of its predecessor. Since it's first gen, will it have glitches and issues? If so, will the 2nd gen bolt up to the engine and work as a drop-in replacement?

That should be a good start. Post any that I may have missed, and feel free to answer any if you have good info.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm excited about the SST...don't get me wrong...I'm a 5 sp driver...I bought a Subaru forester and told the salesman it had to be 5sp...I just like feeling more connected to the car and actually driving it. I have a good feeling that supersport mode is going to still do that for me. And I think it helps that it has that exotic way-too-expensive sports car feel using the paddle shifters...the only thing I'm worried about is the fact that it's a first gen tranny...that's why I don't plan on any mods right away because if anything goes wrong, warranty will cover it... by the way, is it going to get the standard mitsubishi warranty? did previous evos get the same warranty?

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Even with an all-new engine and the complex SAWC system in the EVO X, the biggest headache for tuners may reside in the TC-SST. Shift programs are designed in terms of shift timing, redline and clutch overlap time. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) is programmed to shift at the preset pre-redline point. Maximum downshift rpm is also limited by the engine. Stock power determines the amount of power each clutch can transfer without slipping, clutch engagement timing and gear overlap. With added power , everything will start falling out of sync.
The fact that the engine is turbocharged means the torque on the input shaft and each clutch varies with boost, throttle position and engine speed. So altering the shift program isnt as simple as changing the stock point. This doesnt even scratch the surface of tuning the SPORT mode, which works with yaw, wheel speed and steering sensors to figure out which gear to downshift to. While Audi/VW tuners have already started working on TCM reflash maps, coming up with something as good as factory tuning will not be easy, especially now that the Lancer has a Controller Area Network-bus(CAN-BUS) for chassis communications. But its possible--the Bugatti Veyron can make 1000hp via four turbos. And uses a similar tranny
-JC, Sport Compact Car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i think im just going to wait till they have the car on the road. they are currently doing testing on the sst (hence why its late). i'll check it out for myself and keep on the forum. im sure its going to be great for my purposes.. i think the key here is to ask yourself what you want the car for.

·
Registered
79 Posts
From what I read this how the tranny works:

In any of the modes it can be in auto or manual.

The sport mode is best for back road driving where you will fine lots of twisties.

The s-sport is best for track days since it holds the RPM at 6 or above.

I recall reading this in an article that I'll have to post later due to I'm at work.

·
Administrator
24,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I read this how the tranny works:

In any of the modes it can be in auto or manual.

The sport mode is best for back road driving where you will fine lots of twisties.

The s-sport is best for track days since it holds the RPM at 6 or above.

I recall reading this in an article that I'll have to post later due to I'm at work.

^That seems about right to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh, add launch control to the list as well. Will it launch better or worse? How is launching gonna work if you can't ease out the clutch?

if your considering launch control your obviously serious about performance (down to every pound). if this is the case the SST would not a the best canidate. although they claim better performance in a track with twists and turns it lacks in sprints and quarter mile tack-offs. the manual does this with flyiing colors. some guy even described both cars as "built for different purposes".

did we solve the remote start issue on the SST??? if we did i forgot the thread it was on -can some1 pleez post a link.

if you guys need a source to this info just lemme know so i could dig up the article when i get home. it all comes down to what you want to get out of the car i guess......:confused:

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
EXACTLY. Not every EVO X owner will race the car.
they should. It just seems silly to buy a car that potent and NOT do at least autocross with it. You can't legally enjoy half of what the car gives you on the streets.

Even the Evo IX is computer overload for me, adding a CAN bus and other stuff... then stripping it of it's soul (6MT) and going with an automatically shifting transmission that if you want can shift about when you tell it to --yikes.

I really, deeply wish there was a 6MT option.. like 5MT on the RS (I know it isn't coming here anymore), 6MT on the GSR, 6MT OR SST on the MR. To replace a car that is such a proven tuning platform without providing for that by reassuring people about the merits of all this tech that at first glance appears to greatly restrict a tuners freedom.. not cool if you ask me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Dino I was reading your post on EvoM and it seems that you think the SST works different than has been said. That one guy on there is correct the SST has 3 shift modes normal, sport and s-sport. Each can be controlled by the computer or manually by the paddle shifters or center shifter. No one article seems to say it but can be pieced together if you read most of them. I know I know I sound "questionable" but that is what I got out of all those articles. The question remains will it shift to protect itself from over revving, which I think it will. But I think with out a doute there is a full auto mode and a full maual mode (not counting the over revving protection).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Dino I was reading your post on EvoM and it seems that you think the SST works different than has been said. That one guy on there is correct the SST has 3 shift modes normal, sport and s-sport. Each can be controlled by the computer or manually by the paddle shifters or center shifter. No one article seems to say it but can be pieced together if you read most of them. I know I know I sound "questionable" but that is what I got out of all those articles. The question remains will it shift to protect itself from over revving, which I think it will. But I think with out a doute there is a full auto mode and a full maual mode (not counting the over revving protection).
it will shift to "protect" itself...in a sense...the different modes are for fuel efficiency...I'm sure it won't allow you to keep the revs above redline in the super sport mode...I don't remember which of the initial writeups I've read said it...but the only reason the 0-60 on the SST is .2 seconds different is because of a launch control that won't allow the car to launch above a certain RPM...I don't remember that RPM or the article...

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
EXACTLY. Not every EVO X owner will race the car.
I read that article about the shift points on a track and comparing the SST to 5MT. I had a chuckle because, perhaps like maybe 5% or less of owners, I actual take my car to the track. But when I do, I am not flat out racing, it is driving instruction and training, and there is no passing. It is to enjoy the fun of driving my car at the track and learning how to handle my car. Maybe 0.1% of Evo owners will need to get to 140mph on the straights, but I doubt I ever will.

Maybe the Evo X is no fun anymore because it corners too well with all the sensors and computer control. Hopefully it is still fun. Reviewers seem to like it so far. I think the transmission is one more factor in the 'will it still be fun to drive' category, and I think the manual will be more fun. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
they should. It just seems silly to buy a car that potent and NOT do at least autocross with it. You can't legally enjoy half of what the car gives you on the streets.
When you autocross (I've not done it yet) do you ever get out of third gear? What are typical fastest speeds seen during an autocross? The only problem I can see with the manual vs sst is longer shift times, which is a real problem, but one I can live with. I, too, would prefer a 6MT, and according to my silly dealer I should be getting one.:wtfsign:

·
Resident Narcoleptic
1,696 Posts
When you autocross (I've not done it yet) do you ever get out of third gear? What are typical fastest speeds seen during an autocross? The only problem I can see with the manual vs sst is longer shift times, which is a real problem, but one I can live with. I, too, would prefer a 6MT, and according to my silly dealer I should be getting one.:wtfsign:
I know with a 5spd car you rarely get out of second gear. The way most courses are designed you never have to leave second gear after you get into it too. I know my 2nd gear fuel cut is at like 61mph (like 700rpm past redline) and I've hit it a few times during an autocross, usually on the final stretch before the finish line.

The shift times won't make much of a difference since you'll only need to shift once or twice. It just murders my soul to think that your left foot will be useless in the Evo X and that it can in fact just totally be driven every day of the week as an automatic. That just .. it's going too far. Sure make it an option, some will buy it for the performance, but 90% of americans will buy it because it's the easy, lazy way out.

Oh right, I completely understand now. You have to pay a lot more for the automatic version, but there is an automatic version finally, so sales should SKYROCKET in the U.S. since everyone is lazy here and most people can't even drive a real manual transmission.

bah, *removes Evo X from list of cars to think about for next car* -- pretty much the only car on my list at this point is the RX-8, which hopefully I can catch before they do a redesign, I love them as they are now :)

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.