Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know there's a billion "SST BROKEN PLS HELP" posts on here, but I thought I might as well throw in my problems as well, see if the verterans have any advice, and try to give updated information on how the process goes.

I'm a newbie and just bought a 2014 MR with 78K miles a couple days ago and, low and behold, SST problems. I bought it from a used car dealer, slightly modified (ETS upper intercooler piping, Tein springs, Tomei Epreme TI, Tomei test pipe, tubular exhaust manifold), and they had no pervious service records (terrible decision, I know. It's my dream car and I tunnel visioned real hard). The car drove off the dealership just fine. A CEL popped up, but the clutch wasn't slipping (any more than what forums say with this amount of miles), wasn't skipping gears, and everything seemed ok. Drove home and left it for a bit before going out to show off my baby to some friends. When I turned on the car again, no CEL.

The next day, while I was at a stoplight leaving work, clutch slipped, SST started skipping odd gears (1, 3, 5), threw CEL, and "TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED) popped on the dash. This is my first EVO, and performance car in general, and I freaked the fuck out. I threw it back into auto mode (while in S-Sport mode) and then back into manual mode (there's definitely a better way of handling the situation, but I'm a newb :p ) and the car fixed itself and made it back home normally. I went to return tags for my old car later in the day and it seemed everything was fine (CEL was still on) while I was babying the car.

Then the next next day, I turned on the car, CEL still there (I'm saying CEL alot cause I read that sometimes the EVO will just fix itself randomly), and I reversed out of my driveway just fine. A couple minutes later, disaster strikes again as I was pulling from a stop light. Car slipped first, shifted into second, started skipping odd gears, and "TRANMISSION SERVICE RQUIRED" all the way to work.

I haven't check codes yet (wll be doing that later today and will update), but I have a feeling that it's the infamous shift fork magnets. The glue was probably holding on for dear life and a bump somewhere probably set it free. Unlucky, right? The car slips a bit with normal driving, mostly in first, so I think the clutches might be on their way out too.

I emailed Jack's tranmission to see their opinion and advice on this. I just spend $500 on the fluid change and filter. I probably should've checked in with them before doing so, but I panic bought and having some around isn't the end of the world. Looking at some of the mods done to the car, looks like the previous owner at least cared for it a little (cracking OEM exhaust manifold was replaced, crappy upper intercooler piping replaced), so I'm hoping the fluid chages were performed at the correct intervals as well.

Been stressed with work and this EVO isn't helping either. I've read about a ton of SST nightmares and I thought I steeled myself for the possibilty of it happening to me, but I didn't think it'd happed 3 days after I bought it. I'm a little deterred but, when it was driving normally, I love it. She handles like a dream and it's more than enough power for someone who came from only driving stock Civics. It's so much more beautiful in person. My sanity is nowhere to be found and I'm probably going to the have throw my wallet in the void, but I'm hanging in there. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll be updated with what goes on with Jack's Transmission as well.

Wish me luck guys!

·
Super Moderator
572 Posts
Jacks is good.
Most people go to Kozmic for the SST

·
Registered
11 Evo X MR
84 Posts
Getting those codes read will help. The forums are 50/50 with Jacks and 90/10 Kozmic, like Ugakirk mentioned. If you have a tactrix and evoscan, you can log clutch slip speed and pressures to better determin the life of said clutches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey everyone. Thanks for the input!

I just ran an OBD2 check and it didn't throw any codes. I thought the scanner was faulty, but it checked my VIN just fine. Are there any problems that could happen that don't throw codes? I do have some more information that I found on the car and it looks like the SST fluid had been changed anywhere between 33K and 48K miles by Kozmic Motorsports! (I found a classified through a VIN check and the owner listed all mods and said that the fluid had approx 15k miles left on it when the car was at 48K miles). If the fluid hadn't been since then, that could be a seriously big ouch, right? I'm hoping a fresh fluid change with mineral oil flush will solve all my worries.

·
Registered
11 Evo X MR
84 Posts
Never heard anyone doing a mineral oil flush on the SST. And when I purchased my 11 MR, it had 50k and never had the SST fluid changed, it was the first thing I did, but clutches hold strong. Slip logs are in the 0-8 range. So it just depends on how it has been drivin in it's life.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You need to pull the codes using an advanced Scanner or something like MUT3, not your $15 scanner from Autozone.

Don't waste your money on a fluid change, everyone recommends its for no good reason.

Pull the code, that's your one and only option then you can see what to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had similar problems. Try to pull as much codes or logs as you can after fresh sst fluids and filter, but I would opt for A) sending the trans to kozmic for a full rebuild B) reach out to dealership and TRY a conversation about remedying it and see what happens. Ive seen some people recieve some great help when they do, and some dont. Only costs ya a phonecall. Always remember on the stock sst setup it needs about 20-30 min on normal driving in s-sport before you can get up to operating temp for the clutches. Sounds dumb will help during logging down the road.

I sent mine in to kozmic for a full hp10r rebuild when i had the same issues. Previous owner melted my clutches to death but wasnt noticeable and didnt throw any codes till i had my car a few weeks and drove it around normally. Dont be too hard on yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts