Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking some help regarding my SST. I just bought the car last week. It's been driving great and the transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago (roughly 20k miles ago) by a very reputable shop in the evo community. I'm not going to say who for respect on their behalf as I dont believe it's a issue from the rebuild. I have tried contacting them but due to the coronavirus they are closed for the next 2 weeks.

Anyways, starting yesterday randomly when downshifting it will shift very rough and jerk after driving for a while. Today I drove the car for 2 hours and it drove flawlessly down the highway and some city driving. But when I got home and made my way around town it started doing it again. Friday it would only jerk downshifting into 2nd gear. Today it did it in just about every gear downshifting and eventually the upshifts weren't normal, hard to describe but even in S-Sport manual the shifts weren't firm and instant. Almost like the clutch wasnt engaging for a second and when it did it was a harsher than normal engagement.

The car is stock, I installed a test pipe and cat back last night. Still on stock tune. The fluid isnt due for another 20k miles according to previous owners records (with receipts) the car has only used oem fluids and filter. This is my 2nd SST evo so I know this isnt normal comparing it to how the car was last week and how my SE acted for the 2+ years i owned it. Really hoping I dont have to dump a ton of money into a car I litterly just bought, but I guess you just never know buying used cars.

For what it's worth I normally have been driving the car in normal/automatic mode as I dont experienc much stop and go, I live in a very small town and do mostly highway driving. But I have also tried manual, in all 3 modes. I didnt experience the issue Friday in manual mode, but today I did experience it in all modes.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got a rebuilt SST from Jack's. I get some jerking and clunky shifts from time to time. I can also go 3 months where it's perfect. Doesn't really make any sense but the bottom line is as long as you're not getting trans warnings on the dash and throwing codes, there's no problem.

As far as the test pipe and catback, you probably should get a tune for that. The thing is the engine and the trans work hand in hand and if the engine detects something different, it's probably going to have an effect on the trans too. So after you get the ECU tune, you should also reprogram the TCU. SST is a finicky b....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts