Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure most of you have experienced this since we all are aware of the prolonging issues with the SST. But when shifting from 1st to reverse the SST sometimes will lag a few seconds if you throw it into reverse too quickly.

Today I had to do a quick three point turn in the middle of a busy road and I had traffic coming at me from either side. Unfortunately, the X turning radius sucks and I didnt make a full u-turn. I quickly threw it into reverse in the middle of the road and the R light began to blink and I was like fuck! I gave the throttle a few revs when the R light was blinking to hopefully engage the R gear quicker.

My question: Is it damaging to the transmission if you apply throttle while the R light is blinking? And, is the transmission in a "Neutral" state when the R light is blinking?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I've had this happen a few times (maybe 3 or 4 altogether) but always when starting from being parked. I believe that the transmission is in Neutral when the R is blinking, based on how the car feels. If it were slipping the clutches I would think you'd get some movement out of it, but in my experience, the car goes nowhere.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Yep, I'm actually glad this thread started. Started noticing it a few times myself. From what I can gather, it's just your car telling you to "hold on a sec, let me have my coffee first." When you whip it into reverse too fast, or from a cold-park, that's when I notice it. Not all the time, but every now and then.

It's that same mystery of like WOT on the freeway and you let off the gas, but the revs stay up and the S-AWC meter flashes vertically, not in the wheel areas. Weird, doesn't happen all the time, no clue what it means.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
The S-AWC meter moving vertically means that power is being directed to both front wheels, rather than the rear ones, or just one wheel. The revs may stay up for a split second to avoid some kind of slip situation, but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I have seen the same thing. Only happened a handful of times, but each time is like a kick to the stomach. Once it does engage, after a second or two, all is normal again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This happened to me too on several occasions. All I had to do was hold down the brake pedal firmly, put the car in park and try the reverse gear again. I remember reading that 2 gears engage to put the car in reverse.

·
Purple meat eater
1,242 Posts
This happens more on my Ralliart than it does on my MR, but as soon as hold the brakes firmly for few seconds, it shifts into reverse. I've asked a Mitsu tech about it when I first got the car. They said it's normal for the SST.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
yup definitly a "normal" occurance...but should we worry lol

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
This happened to me too on several occasions. All I had to do was hold down the brake pedal firmly, put the car in park and try the reverse gear again. I remember reading that 2 gears engage to put the car in reverse.
I know that gears 3 and 5 engage for reverse in the GSR, but I'm not sure about the SST.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This was one of the issues my SST had (hill start chatter also) before i got a new trans thanks to Mitsubishi. Now my car never does that, ever.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I have only seen that on my MR associated with a cold start - where the gearbox pressure isn't up to spec yet.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
This happens more on my Ralliart than it does on my MR, but as soon as hold the brakes firmly for few seconds, it shifts into reverse. I've asked a Mitsu tech about it when I first got the car. They said it's normal for the SST.
You have both? That is awesome! How do you like them?

***For you guys having these issues, when did you change your sst fluid? Was it better or worse after fluid change?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've had this happen on both my old MR and the SE. Happened while stock and after modding. Happened before aftermarket fluid and after aftermarket fluid. Just one of the small SST quirks we gota live with lol

·
Registered
331 Posts
Its not a glitch. Because the SST engages 2 gears at once it has the potential to block itself from engaging in reverse, it takes the few seconds to rearrange itself.

Just like when you turn the car off the car remains on for a few seconds, again for the SST to rearrange itself for when you start up.

Its in your manual.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
the SST TCU knows more about itself than we do - so it's just protecting itself and delaying an engagement into reverse if it's not optimal (based mostly on temperature I believe)

Obviously it's happening more as winter comes upon us

A weird part of my head imagines this:
MR - *nerdy computer geek voice* "ok sir, but the current operating temperature of both odd and even gears are both sub-optimal in relation to the current operating temperature of the transmission fluid and ambient conditions. Noting these conditions, I shall engage reverse in a manner to minimize shock to the transmission and drivetrain for you"
GSR - "REVERSE? OK SIR!!!" GRIIIIIND

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So is it damaging to the transmission to apply gas while it is blinking?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Why would you be on the throttle when it's blinking? All it does is free rev and probably delay engagement, meaning you sit there longer on the throttle for no logical reason whatsoever. It may be damaging, but it IS pointless. Stop it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Why would you be on the throttle when it's blinking?
Why?

(a) Because that [R] is blinking right in front of me, but by then I'm looking out the rear window.

(b) Because my 2009 BEEPS CONSTANTLY AT ME IN REVERSE! It drives me to distraction! BEEP BLEEPING BEEP! THE BELLS... THE BELLS...

In fact, it's all about (b). Anything starts beeping around me now, I start twitching.

Rich

1 - 20 of 35 Posts