Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 623 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are we trying to accomplish - To reconfigure the software running the SST transmission.

Things learned - mechatronic is similar in appearance to VW DCT transmissions.

The processor type is infineon TC1766 tricore.

The configuration file is a .cff encrypted file. (Caesar File Format)

cff files are generated using the "CANdelaFlash" method - Raw binary (hex) is input into the CANdelaStudio software, information is added for ease of diagnostic equipment interpretation and the output is a CFF file.

Ripnet has successfully scripted CFF format to Raw Hex, available here for disassemblyhttp://www.evoxforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131530&d=1387476980

https://www.vector.com/portal/medie...omotiveElectronics_200509_PressArticle_EN.pdf

Flashing is possible with a MUT III or the Mitsu can pass-thru utility and tactrix interface (j2534), can pass-thru can also be used to do SST Teach-in procedures. A account https://mitsubishitechinfo.com/ here will need to be active for flashing/teach-in functionality.

Here is a detailed overview of the e-DaCS delivery method for flash configuration files, from plant to MUT III http://www.faq.lancer-club.ru/download/lancer-x/misc/ECU_Variant_Coding_System.pdf

Things to do - Rip needs assistance with disassembly
Test flashing Hex to TCU

Here is a run down, courtesy of vaqusis on how to flash your Ralliart with the Mitsubishi PassThru Can Utility - to use this method you will need an active account on mitsubishi site and the Tactrix interface

Ok, other than the standard configuring the software and getting your files you need some simple information.

#1. AT:
ECU Part No.:8631A860
S/W Part No.:8631A8600A
VIN No.: JA32Y6HV1AU003244

That's my TCU information that I needed for the website.

The files need to be modified when you download them.

AMT_17800000_000204_dio30_C.cbf (Same file for everyone)
TI_Info.tipart (Teach-In Files; Same for everyone)
8631B001_dio30.cff (TCU Flash File)
8631B001_dio30.flpart (Vehicle Specifice File)
ClearDiagCANID.ini (Same file for everyone) I used EvoScan. I like it better and it's faster.

#1. Open your specific .flpart file.
<MMC_FlPart><PassThruCANFlash><NewPartInfo><NEW_HW_PNAME>8631A827</NEW_HW_PNAME><NEW_SW_PNAME>8631A8270B</NEW_SW_PNAME></NewPartInfo><CFF_FILENAME>8631B002_dio30</CFF_FILENAME><CBF_FILENAME>AMT_17800000_000204_dio30_C</CBF_FILENAME><SYSTEM>TC-SST</SYSTEM><CONTENTS>Reprogramming data for Mechatronic Assy replacement of 10MY LANCER SPORTBACK</CONTENTS><DATE>2011.12.12</DATE><CLASS>Reprogramming for Teach-in</CLASS><ApplicablePartInfo><TARGET_HW_PNAME>8631A860</TARGET_HW_PNAME><TARGET_SW_PNAME>8631A8600A</TARGET_SW_PNAME></ApplicablePartInfo></PassThruCANFlash></MMC_FlPart>

Verify that the <TARGET_HW_PNAME> and <TARGET_SW_PNAME> matches the information you pulled from your TCU using the PassThruCAN Reader function. (This part of the script just tells the software what version H/W and S/W to expect when it tries to complete the flash.)

Now, you need to change the <NEW_HW_PNAME> and <NEW_SW_PNAME> to match which flash you will be putting on the car. Since I used yours **8631B001** and not mine I just looked up your H/W and S/W information.

ECU Part No.:8631A827
S/W Part No.:8631A8270B

Cheat sheet:
CZ4A (Evolution)
2008 8631A749.cff = 8631A3790C
2009 8631B001.cff = 8631A8270B
2010 8631B001.cff = 8631A8270B
2011 and Up 8631B151.cff = 8631A8270A

CY4A/CX4A (Ralliart)
2009 8631B002.cff = 8631A8600B
2009 8631B002.cff = 8631A8600B
2011 and Up 8631B002.cff = 8631A8600B

Now the last part is copy a clean copy of B631B001.cff into the proper directory and change it's name to reflect what the .flpart file is looking for.

Big thanks to Vagusis for testing this method of flashing!!

For those that would like to contribute to the project and need access to Mitsu applications and configuration files, please PM me and I'll do my best to get them in active hands.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No sir, I certainly appreciate the offer though. I'm going to say the community has access to everything they need at this point, it's just a matter of encryption now.

Would any of ecu files from a 4g eclipse be of help to your project ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
438 Posts
No sir, I certainly appreciate the offer though. I'm going to say the community has access to everything they need at this point, it's just a matter of encryption now.
I may be able to direct you to some software for that . I got some I'm told will work as I've been helping with a reflash project for the eclipse . But I haven't tested yet. I'm in the hospital at the moment but once released I can see if if will help

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any and all help would be appreciated, big or small any kind of contribution matters.

I may be able to direct you to some software for that . I got some I'm told will work as I've been helping with a reflash project for the eclipse . But I haven't tested yet. I'm in the hospital at the moment but once released I can see if if will help

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
cool well I can't help out at all with decrypting the cff files... but if/when we get our head around them then I am 100% on board to start figuring shit out! :)

I am hoping that once we get this into binary, the routines will be similar or even the same as what gets send to the other variants of this transmission, which should make figuring out the next step (finding tables and what do they mean and do) a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed, I think we have enough people on this now to come up with something. We just have to determine the encryption type and key. I don't say that like it will be an easy task. . . I do believe we'll get there.

If and when we make it that far, I think we can compare code against ralliart ROM's and look at what makes the Evo ROM so special. Then, our own special sauce.

cool well I can't help out at all with decrypting the cff files... but if/when we get our head around them then I am 100% on board to start figuring shit out! :)

I am hoping that once we get this into binary, the routines will be similar or even the same as what gets send to the other variants of this transmission, which should make figuring out the next step (finding tables and what do they mean and do) a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I guess I did say I'd give a nut. . .

·
Banned
4,280 Posts
Ok, got an email back from Tic Racing...

Hi Rik,

many thanks for your request.

Our team mainly consists of GETRAG employees. In principal we are able to modify any GETRAG DCT transmission in regards to higher torque requirements or other behaviours, but we are not allowed to support any aftermarket or racing activities outside GETRAG.

I'm sorry, but we can't support your request.

So good and bad news.

Good - There is definitely an ability out there to do exactly what we want to the trans. Getrag can already do it and most likely does it through a readily available commercial tool.

Bad - No help from Tic Racing :( I may try calling them and just trying to pry and see which device and program they use. Maybe I can grab some simple info from them?

Will post in Betty's Nuts as well.

·
Banned
4,280 Posts
Response to Tic Racing...

Frank,

Sorry for the brief email earlier, I was just getting ready for the day.

Would you be free to perhaps speak over the phone today? I’d be happy to call you directly so you do not have to accept any long distance fees.

I have a group of very knowledgeable individuals working on understanding the TCU right now. They are situated throughout the USA and also Australia. We have access to a MUT III device as well as a J2534 passthrough.

I understand that you can not directly influence or help with tuning on the transmission - but are you able to help point us in the right direction? This transmission is what is holding the car back right now. We have no factory or manufacturer support for tuning it and are running into walls at every turn. If we can get into this transmission and adjust the parameters the car will be pushed to an entirely new level.

For instance, my car is set up with a Borg Warner 8374 turbo and a 2.2L forged motor. In a normal 5 speed car it would achieve 700whp (800 - 900bhp) on race gas. I may be able to achieve this as a peak number with the SST trans but we are going to have major issues with clutch slip, launching and shifting due to the lack of access to the TCU. If we can push past these issues then we will have a car that serves as an example to the rest of the community and will push the platform to the next level.

We need help from people who have tackled this before though - and your team seems to be the only team that has been able to do this...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The Caesar file format is an interesting duck. The cff itself is in "Caesar Flash Format", when I originally copied the files for doing teach-in with the passthru utility, I wondered about the role each of these files play in the flashing/teach-in process. The caesar file format appears to be driven/interpreted by c32s.dll. Watching process explore, anytime a cff or cbf are touched this .dll is active. I've found this file exists in all modern diag equipment and appears to be a product of Daimler/Chrysler; this file exists on vediamo benz tool as well as others. One of the more interesting files, is the .cbf in "Caesar Binary Format". This file contains code for subroutines to perform teach-in. The file is presented to passthru utility with addressing by a config file with a .tipart extension. The file is teach-in specific.

Code:
<MMC_TIPart>
<PassThruCANTeachIn>
<DIAG>
  <DIAGVER>0</DIAGVER>
  <CBF_FILENAME>AMT_17800000_000204_dio30_C</CBF_FILENAME>
  <COMMAND>
     <COMMAND_ITEMNO>-</COMMAND_ITEMNO>
     <COMMAND_NAME_N>n/a</COMMAND_NAME_N>
     <COMMAND_QUALIFIER>DT_STO_ID_VIN_Current_Value</COMMAND_QUALIFIER>
     <COMMAND_ENUMVALUE>1</COMMAND_ENUMVALUE>
  </COMMAND>
  <DATALIST>
     <DATALIST_ITEMNO>-</DATALIST_ITEMNO>
     <DATALIST_NAME_N>n/a</DATALIST_NAME_N>
     <DATALIST_QUALIFIER>RT_RLI_1D_Teach_in_Routine_Request_results_Teach_in_finished_without_error</DATALIST_QUALIFIER>
     <BYTE_POSITION>3</BYTE_POSITION>
     <BYTE_LENGTH>1</BYTE_LENGTH>s
     <BIT_POSITION>4</BIT_POSITION>
     <BIT_LENGTH>1</BIT_LENGTH>
     <PARAM_TYPE>2</PARAM_TYPE>
       <CONVERSION>
       <UPBOUND>0</UPBOUND>
       <LOWBOUND>0</LOWBOUND>
       <DISPLAY_NAME_N>-</DISPLAY_NAME_N>
       </CONVERSION>
       <CONVERSION>
       <UPBOUND>1</UPBOUND>
       <LOWBOUND>1</LOWBOUND>
       <DISPLAY_NAME_N>-</DISPLAY_NAME_N>
       </CONVERSION>
  </DATALIST>
</DIAG>

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get 'em Rik, get 'em. . . :godance:

Response to Tic Racing...

Frank,

Sorry for the brief email earlier, I was just getting ready for the day.

Would you be free to perhaps speak over the phone today? I’d be happy to call you directly so you do not have to accept any long distance fees.

I have a group of very knowledgeable individuals working on understanding the TCU right now. They are situated throughout the USA and also Australia. We have access to a MUT III device as well as a J2534 passthrough.

I understand that you can not directly influence or help with tuning on the transmission - but are you able to help point us in the right direction? This transmission is what is holding the car back right now. We have no factory or manufacturer support for tuning it and are running into walls at every turn. If we can get into this transmission and adjust the parameters the car will be pushed to an entirely new level.

For instance, my car is set up with a Borg Warner 8374 turbo and a 2.2L forged motor. In a normal 5 speed car it would achieve 700whp (800 - 900bhp) on race gas. I may be able to achieve this as a peak number with the SST trans but we are going to have major issues with clutch slip, launching and shifting due to the lack of access to the TCU. If we can push past these issues then we will have a car that serves as an example to the rest of the community and will push the platform to the next level.

We need help from people who have tackled this before though - and your team seems to be the only team that has been able to do this...

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
And in for fun!

If you guys get somewhere, maybe I will have to find a built MR to start playing with. I still want an Auto Drag evo :)

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
And in for fun!

If you guys get somewhere, maybe I will have to find a built MR to start playing with. I still want an Auto Drag evo :)
That woud be sick. Can't imagine how fast that would be with the same HP as the GSR builds.

1 - 20 of 623 Posts