Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask if this new type of tranny will be faster then say auto or manual? And how? I was reading a few articles but I still kinda don't get it? (yes I know I'm kinda thick)

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
SST shifts faster than the manual.

It has two clutches. The gearbox can then have two gears engaged at any one time, one driving the car, the other waiting to take over.
One clutch operates the 1-3-5 gears and the other operates 2-4-6.
TC-SST works by allowing the ECM to decide what gear the car will need next, and then pre-selects it. If you are accelerating, it will have the next gear up, and likewise if decelerating, the next gear down.

·
Evo Tuner
37 Posts
The transmission is made by Getrag of Germany. You can draw many comparissons to the VW tranny and clutch. The VW clutches are holding up to serious power so far.

The down side is no servicable parts for the tranny. You break it, they replace it. If it is under warranty still, great. If not... ouch. Looks like at least $4k? I see people buying the MR keeping their cars VERY stock for the first 3 years/30K miles :p

How do you launch a SST car?

Mike W

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
SST > Manual

Twenty years down the road i'd bet everybody will look back and say, thank god for dual clutch!
It's like breathing. Ever imagine what it would be like to manually breath every respiration 15 times per minute? Good thing your lungs are on 'automatic mode.'
But hey, you can take breaths whenever you want or just hyperventilate yourself silly 'manually' though.
My point is, evolution. Flow with it :)

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
SST > Manual

Twenty years down the road i'd bet everybody will look back and say, thank god for dual clutch!
It's like breathing. Ever imagine what it would be like to manually breath every respiration 15 times per minute? Good thing your lungs are on 'automatic mode.'
But hey, you can take breaths whenever you want or just hyperventilate yourself silly 'manually' though.
My point is, evolution. Flow with it :)
Twenty years down the road, my kids will be asking 'whats a manual?'

·
Registered
393 Posts
Twin Clutch SST:
MMC's new automated manual transmission employs dual clutches to realize power transmission efficiencies on a par with a normal manual gearbox while also allowing slick and swift shifting. Allowing drivers of all abilities to shift rapidly up and down through the gears, Twin Clutch SST delivers satisfying acceleration while also returning superior fuel mileage thanks to its high-efficiency power transmission mechanism. The new transmission also features three operating modes tailored to different situations: from around-town drivability to instant-response and follow-the-line sporty motoring on the open road.

*1, *2, *3, *4: see following pages for details

Twin Clutch SST (Sport Shift Transmission)
(1) The mechanism
Twin Clutch SST puts odd (1st, 3rd, 5th) and even (2nd, 4th and 6th) gears on separate input shafts, each connected to an individual clutch. With both clutches under precise system control, this arrangement allows lightening-fast, smooth and lag-free gear changes with no interruption in power delivery. Using clutches instead of a torque converter to transmit power makes the Twin Clutch SST simpler in structure and reduces power transmission losses for higher transmission efficiency that leads to improved fuel mileage.

(2)Drive modes
Twin Clutch SST allows the driver to switch between three shifting programs - Normal, Sport and S-Sport - to cover the full range of driving situations, from town use to sporty motoring on open roads.

a. Normal mode
For use around town and other normal driving situations, Normal mode scheduling uses relatively low-speed shift points to deliver unobtrusive shifting for maximum comfort together with optimum fuel economy.

b. Sport mode
For use when driving in the mountains or when engine braking is required, Sport mode scheduling uses higher shift points and quicker shifting to deliver instant throttle response that instills in the driver a closer man/machine relationship.

c. S-Sport mode
Compared with Sport mode, S-Sport mode scheduling keeps the engine turning at higher revs while allowing lightening-fast shifting.

What Twin Clutch-SST aims to achieve
Twin Clutch SST aims to combine the economy and dynamic driving of a manual transmission with the convenience of an automatic transmission.

Features

1.Slick, sporty gear changing with no clutch pedal.
2.Quick response and smooth shifting.
3.High power transmission efficiency and low fuel consumption.
System configuration

Twin clutch SST benefits

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
from what i have read, seen, and hte info in post 11, its faster than an average driver with the manual, but slower than a good driver with a manual.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think it helps to think of the SST Transmission like this. Its Faster shifting then any person driving a manual and more consistent and accurate. Yet its smarter then an automatic so its also faster then an automatic.

Dual Clutch trannys are the next wave...While I can drive a manual I can see how this technology can only grow and be faster and practical then I could ever hope a manual to be.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
from what i have read, seen, and hte info in post 11, its faster than an average driver with the manual, but slower than a good driver with a manual.
Rather, the SST is faster than very very good drivers, and only miniscually slower than the absolute best drivers. In fact, really good drivers do a whole lot more than just try to shift gears faster than a computerized twin clutch transmission. So maybe switching gears as fast as the SST is not a skill that many good drivers have aquired.

What are the chances that you will be able to shift as fast and rev-match as well as the SST? Prolly less than 2%.

But I would still want the 5MT. :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Michael Schumacher is probably in that 2% as well as probably the majority of the F1 field...You have to think super fast to drive those things...anybody see the Top gear episode where hammond couldnt think fast enough to drive the Rennault V10 F1 hell he couldnt think fast enough to drive the midgets fast either (the 4 and 8 cyclinder versions)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.