Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows how to solve this issue. When my car is stationary, or when I’m parking or moving slowly like through a parking lot, there will be a creaking sound when I turn the steering wheel to the left. No sound when the wheel is turned to the right.
I stole this video from YouTube that show the type of sound I’m talking about.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Have someone turn the wheel while you stand outside the car with the hood open. You should be able to hear it clearly and determine which side it's coming from. You can probably just live with it for a while or you can replace the top bushing/bearing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Have someone turn the wheel while you stand outside the car with the hood open. You should be able to hear it clearly and determine which side it's coming from. You can probably just live with it for a while or you can replace the top bushing/bearing.
I haven’t, I will tomorrow morning. But could this be the cause even if it only does it when turning it left ? Cause it doesn’t sound when going over a bump, it only sounds when parked or going under 5km and turning the steering wheel left. Oh I forgot to mention, I got lowering springs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yup! I've had that exact issue on various cars with both lowering springs and coilovers. If the bearing in the top fails, it can make the spring try to turn the rubber bushing instead of spinning freely. And with the directional nature of the spring and the stop in the rubber it only makes noise in one direction and for part of the turn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yup! I've had that exact issue on various cars with both lowering springs and coilovers. If the bearing in the top fails, it can make the spring try to turn the rubber bushing instead of spinning freely. And with the directional nature of the spring and the stop in the rubber it only makes noise in one direction and for part of the turn.
So I lifted the car because the noice seemed to be coming from the bottom. I found the right side front control arm ball joint rubber “boot” off. I sprayed some lubricant and pressed the booth back on. I still need to drive the car but The noise still happening and it’s seems that is coming from that right side lower control arm. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are you sure that boot is not torn? I don't believe they should be able to just pop off. Maybe the ball joint was just exposed to the elements for so long and now needs replacing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That boot is typically held on with a circlip so it shouldn't pop off. I've never heard your noise come from a ball joint but it's entirely possible. It's safe to drive on until there's play in the joint then you really need to replace it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure that boot is not torn? I don't believe they should be able to just pop off. Maybe the ball joint was just exposed to the elements for so long and now needs replacing.
Na the boot was fine, no damage but maybe it came back off once I dropped the car. And I just got back from driving and the sound still there. 😭

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's probably only going to get worse till you replace it.
True! But i dont know dude, I feel like spraying all that lube inside should’ve made the noice quiet down but it didn’t! So I’m not entirely convinced on that being the problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you check if there was any play with the wheel if you try to push it any direction? Also check your sway bar end links.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you check if there was any play with the wheel if you try to push it any direction? Also check your sway bar end links.
So I’m already going to replace the tie rod end on that wheel because it had some play (almost nothing) when pushing and pulling with your hands at the 3 and 9 o’clock! I will check the sway bar end links.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts