Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We definitely need one. It' s time to change brake pads for something better. What to do? Which one?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
many people are going to suggest different pads... first question is, what are your goals?

do you track a lot?
do you drive your car like you stole it?

my input would be the Hawk HPS pads. I DD my car with slight, and i mean SLIGHT aggressive breaking and cornering. The pads are relatively inexpensive and very very easy to install by your self. No squeaks, no dust, slightly strong bite then OEM.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
porterfield or ferrodo ds 2500's are great for hard driving or tracking. Loud but very effective.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have heard SO many mixed reviews on the Hawk HPS pads. I need new breaks soon too....I might just try out Brake Man...super cheap.

many people are going to suggest different pads... first question is, what are your goals?

do you track a lot?

my input would be the Hawk HPS pads. I DD my car with slight, and i mean SLIGHT aggressive breaking and cornering. The pads are relatively inexpensive and very very easy to install by your self. No squeaks, no dust, slightly strong bite then OEM.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Look also at Carbotech pads... ;)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I have heard good things about brake man also. Pretty sure there is a thread on here about 'em. Hit that search button with authority!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I need something stronger than OEM one. Few track days and agressive driving somethimes (everybody have these moments). Something to bite better and last more, nothing too agressive. Maybe DS2500 is right choice.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
After doing mad research on this I've decide that ferodo's will be the pad I use on my Evo. I was leaning towards carbotech but apparently some have reported that they aren't as good as some make it seem.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Maybe ET800 is the best for you since they are cheaper than others and lots of good reviews about them. I called them 2 times this week and they awnsered all my questions, Although I havn't decide yet and yes we really need sticky on brake pads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm going to need some new pads here soon as well, they are starting to squeek. Those Carbotech pads are freakin expensive.. hope they last longer than these OEM ones. Btw, how long did your stock pads last for? include your driving style. I tend to drive like I'm playing GTA from time to time so my brakes have been put to the test. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm replacing OEM pads with Carbotech AX6. I track my car about 6 times a year. I got about 5000miles DD+Track out of my OEM pads.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I got 24,000 out of my stock pads, three driving events and everything else DD, mostly highway. I bought StopTech Street Performance for the Front and Axxis ULT for the rear, comparable. These are lasting pretty well, especially for the savings over OEM replacements. Fade isn't there at the track, that's nice, but they have kevlar in them that eventually gets on the rotor making the squeal loud and louder.

What I've read and what I'm experiencing is that everyone's different, both in purpose of the car and in how they drive. And of course in budgets. I'm gonna be happy with Wagner ceramic pads for my next DD set when that comes around in a few years. I bought some track pads so I can slap them on when I have the hankering and budget for a track weekend.

·
Registered
898 Posts

do you track a lot?

The pads are relatively inexpensive and very very easy to install by your self.

ALL pads install the same; if you can change them at all, you're good to put them on/off in a matter of minutes. It takes more time to jack the car up and remove the wheels than remove the pads from the calipers. If you don't already know, remove the reservoir cap when you open the calipers up so the pads can slip in easier. If you're a tool collector, I found a brake caliper spreading tool for $30 or so on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370413368674&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=8f88d97d1290a02652a55525ff4ccd00&rvr_id=128841950160&ua=WXI6&itemid=370413368674

edit: Wow, demand must have gone up, the tool is now $45. It works though if you don't think you can work a screwdriver and pry the opening up a little to spread the caliper pistons the old fashion way.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Im running the stage 1 kit from giro disk with hawk HP+ pads and I love how my car stops. Its great for DD if you wannna drive hard

·
Registered
654 Posts
got a set of hawk HP+ pads front and rear for $227 shipped. have a better initial bite and overall braking force than stock. will find out how well they deal with fade when i go to the track this weekend (etown road course). for the price though and the slight squeal every once in a while, hard to beat.

15k miles on the stockers and they still have about 50% life left.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts