Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Stig Cockpit view GTR

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  ozren 
#1 · (Edited)
Smooth in the outside....so violent/intense in the inside. I think this is still Ben Collins.

#12 ·
If I may share a little bit of what I know.....

Most of the oversteer situations actually start as understeer. People notice understeer and hit the brakes causing the front end to suddenly get grip and the back end to loose grip simultaneously thus turning into oversteer.

Even if you meant controlled understeer to controlled oversteer, it would still be inaccurate since there are many drivers that can actually do that.

#7 · (Edited)
The low speed turns looked like garbage. I don't care if that guy is the stig that looked like crap. Smooth is fast, and that was the furthest thing away from smooth lol.

- For reference in case anyone says I am full of shit :p. Anytime a tire is going SCREEEEEEEEEECCCCHHHHHHH it is working past its' maximum efficiency, which the stig clearly was doing....often.

#19 ·
Its autobot in the eyes of those who don't get to its limits, which most don't, as the limit is insanely far away. Furthermore very few drive it with TC fully off, most don't go further than R-mode.

#16 ·
And to be clear, screeching tires doesn't mean you're past the limit of grip. At the limit of grip the tires will screech. Having seen the Stig post some pretty amazing times on that test track, I'd think long and hard before giving a critique of his technique.

At the end of the day he's trying for ONE fast lap just like qualifying. I just finished reading his book and he talks a lot about his mentality during those lapping sessions. Basically Ben Collins will do whatever it takes to have a fast lap, period. If it requires driving like a madman he'll do it.

#18 ·
And to be clear, screeching tires doesn't mean you're past the limit of grip. At the limit of grip the tires will screech. Having seen the Stig post some pretty amazing times on that test track, I'd think long and hard before giving a critique of his technique.

At the end of the day he's trying for ONE fast lap just like qualifying. I just finished reading his book and he talks a lot about his mentality during those lapping sessions. Basically Ben Collins will do whatever it takes to have a fast lap, period. If it requires driving like a madman he'll do it.
I would also consider that driving so many different platforms around different tracks, he would spent a few laps taking it past the limits so he would know where they were so on the final run there isn't a split second missed if he could have taken a turn faster.

#17 ·
We know who the Stig was. Whenever the Stig outs himself they replace him. He doesn't get paid as much as the big 3 so the man in the Simpson Bandit usually spends a few seasons and then takes a book deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.