Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of now, I have had several events trying to get back into this after being out of this since 2006 and things are still moving in the right direction. So far the only mod on the car is Whiteline front sway bar set at full stiff and it is a great improvement. Definitely less sway in the front and there is no sign of any push on the car. As a matter of fact, things are still too loose and I like loose cars! What you actually see is that rear end is a bit more planted and it doesn't move as much as before.

Now, we had a BMW Boston Chapter school yesterday and I got a chance to do a few runs. The biggest thing was that tire pressures that I was using on stock size rims and 285s were way too low and tire was rolling over to touch the "H" in Hoosier written on the side, which can not be good! If it was "K" in Kumho... :)

Pressures I was using were 30 lb all around and after that pressure went up to 36 in the front and 34 in the rear! Also, my gauge was reading 1 lb less then the friends of the same kind, so one of them is probably wrong! :)

The next run brought back looseness in the rear like I used to have with street tires, but front end was sticking much better! Dropped 3 more psi-s from the rear to 31 and did another run! Results were very nice! No more rolling in the front and car was a bit quicker in response. It definitely felt faster and with proper timing I am sure it will be shown in times as well.

I had only one correct reading on the time display, but I went too hot in a section that was completely avoided so workers didn't have to clean too many cones unnecessarily. All other times were either not there or some wrong number which would even put novice drivers to the shame! :)

But, friend of mine drove the car for couple runs and he got withing 1.5 sec of his best time in his car. Since he has a great chance of winning Nationals in ESP in a few weeks in that particular car, that is pretty close to the times my car needs to run.

Overall, with extra tire pressures, car can be thrown around in much more aggressive way compare to before. That was probably another reason why my times so far were not where they needed to be, since I forgot that car can be pushed that hard. So, a very nice wake-up call for me too!!

Car is running 2 degrees in the front but just 1 in the back. Since rear end is still looser then I think it should be, extra camber might help, so 1.5 will probably get there in near future. Other than that, I think the only thing that is left is $hocks...

Fedja

·
Registered
148 Posts
One of our guys revalved his MR Bilsteins and it made a huge difference. Now that the S2k's are out, EVO should do well I think.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, only CRs are out which helps about half a second (no more then one), so that is going to help, but not that much!

As of Bilisteins, I am seriously considering to do that, since I have yet to find someone to build me set of struts that will work with stock springs.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It is really though to get a set of dumpers for the BS EVO X! I have talked to lots of places and as of right now, I have found two and a half places that would build a set. The best offer so far is from ANZE Suspension for a set of Penske 8300. Other two places would make a set of Ohlins (TTX46 for the front and TTX36 for the rear) are Snapdragon and PSI - still waiting for PSI to tell me if they could make it for the stock spring perches though.

As of now, Penske seem to be better choice and they are a bit less as well. Either way, it looks like things would have to be rebuilt once a year, so that is no fun. But, driving here in northeast during the winter should be just fine with the stock suspension that would have to be swapped twice back and forth per year. Kind of the same deal I had with my previous setup with 8760s.

Now, just to figure out how to swallow the price tag without getting divorced or in jail (or both)! :)

Fedja

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally some improvements!!

I as have mentioned earlier, BMW school that took place in August helped me tremendously to build some trust into the car and its responses, but I had no real events to test that since today. Two Vetts that were beating me regularly got beat today and compared to the top guys in BS I got within 3 seconds off of their times. Of course the fastest one is S2k CR, so I don't have to worry about that one any more. One way or another, just from driving I have dropped about 2 seconds, with no other changes to the car. Well, I did run even higher tire pressures from last time and fronts went from 36 to 40 and rears from 31 to 33.

Those tires are also quite old and have plenty of heat cycles (especially rear ones, which are 5 years old vs. 2 year old front ones), so sticker tires would bring noticeable improvement for sure! But, since Stock is changing to the Street next year, it doesn't make sense to get a fresh set of Hoosiers any more, does it?

Now, it will all depend on how much improvement will come from new dampers! In the field of possible options, one more appeared today in the form of MCS dumpers (double adjustable with external tanks). The word is that those would not need yearly rebuilds like either Penske or Ohlins, so that is (of course, as long as it is true) great advantage next to the other two. And, they will be also the least expensive as well.

Fedja

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All Evos are in BS. They used to be in AS several years ago, but after the reorg, we got moved into the BS. In reality, most of the cars from old AS got moved to the BS. What they did was that they moved slower cars from SS into the new AS and some of the fastest cars from old AS remained in there. Everything else ended up in today's BS, Evos and STIs included.

Fedja

·
Registered
16 Posts
This puts me in the same class as S2000 CR... :eek:mg:

All Evos are in BS. They used to be in AS several years ago, but after the reorg, we got moved into the BS. In reality, most of the cars from old AS got moved to the BS. What they did was that they moved slower cars from SS into the new AS and some of the fastest cars from old AS remained in there. Everything else ended up in today's BS, Evos and STIs included.

Fedja

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This puts me in the same class as S2000 CR... :eek:mg:
Just for few more months! As of January 1st, CRs are moved to AS, so "only" non-CRs are left in BS. Not a big break, but still a break! Should be worth half a second or perhaps a bit more, but less then a full second!

And we also get Pontiac Solstice ZOK version moved up from CS, which is also pretty close to times S2ks are running.

Fedja

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are you still running on Hoosiers?
I think that the Evo on Street tires will be really fun and competitive in BS now with street tires…

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, my old used set of Hoos...pretty close to end too.

Street tires will have less grip, so I actually think it will be harder to do what we need to do for heavier cars compared to the lighter ones. I might be wrong here, but somehow I don't think I will be... :(

Fedja

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, it sucks for heavy cars but you may be able to run 255-265 on the stock 8.5 wheels?
So right there you have an advantage over STU LOL…I am stuck with 245s; the car can hold crazy speeds on long sweepers, but in lower speed tight turns…it under-steers a lot.
You need to start tuning on street tires now so you will be ready for next year :D

The S2000 front wheels (AP2) are 7.5 so even a 255 may not ideal up front…I really want to see how this works out next year!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would take 245s with custom spring rates over 265s on OEMs any day!!

Yes, max size tire we can mount on those rims that still work will be an important part of the car's ability to do the right things at the right time! Unfortunately, most street tires have really stiff side walls and it might be hard to go over 265 (if so). I first got a set of 285 710s and couldn't mount them on the stock rims. Switching to Hoosiers helped that one! I am wondering what is the widest street size tire that people managed to put on stock wheels...if anyone has some info on that it would be appreciated!

Fedja

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Since new rules are in books and Hoosiers are bye-bye, I have started looking for the street tires that would fit the bill and everything else. The most important part for running EVO X on street tires (aside of having a grip of course) is heat management! Due to them being very heavy for the "race car", tires will get hot much quicker and being able to handle this is crucial! Now add concrete instead of tarmac, and dual drivers and things will get out of hand pretty quickly.

As of yet I still don't know which one of those will be the best temperature wise. But, I did take a look at the numbers they have attached to them on Tire Rack site. Most of the 275s have 10.2" (10.9" for section width) of thread width (ZII's have 10.4") and my current set of 285 Hoosiers on stock rims is 10.75" of section and I guess thread width (they are rolled over a lot - unmounted section width is almost a whole inch wider) as well, so from that alone it looks like 275s should fit.

Fedja

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also will be in B-Stock next year with 2011 MR. I've been looking at the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R. They'll be legal in 2014, but not 2015. However, I'm planning on at least 12+ events and adding in DD, that may be about their limit. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the ADVAN Neova AD08 R and/or comments.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have what may seem like a strange question for anyone not in their late 50’s, but here goes… I was very active in the 1980’s with a 1984 Turbo Mustang in G-Stock for 5 years. Got 2 NEDiv 4th place finishes in a class of 12+ cars. I got to the point where I was able to brake with the tires not locked but occasionally emitting a puff of smoke here and there. Then I campaigned a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 for half a year (until I got married) and I could not duplicate that quality of breaking, but I could detect and avoid locking the wheels.

Neither Mustang had ABS. Now fast forward to 2013 with a 2011 MR. I’ve got this AWD beast with over 2X the HP of the Turbo Mustang and I can go into a corner far faster than my memory recalls possible and yet still slow down.

Question: I've got 4 Autocrosses under my belt, and have yet to feel the anti-lock brakes kick in like with the Van and Truck in the winter time. Am I not breaking hard enough? If breaking at the maximal level should I fell some anti-lock kicking in???

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also will be in B-Stock next year with 2011 MR. I've been looking at the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R. They'll be legal in 2014, but not 2015. However, I'm planning on at least 12+ events and adding in DD, that may be about their limit. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with the ADVAN Neova AD08 R and/or comments.
You might be able to used those by the time 2015 arrives! Have in mind that you can't used them whole year long so, my guess is that they might still have something left in there (especially if you flip them half way there). Either way, i don't think that will be a problem either way you go!

I am also contemplating of getting 140s for next season myself (as of now probably Hankooks or perhaps ZIIs), but that really matters only if you want to play with big boys at the National type events. If not, you can go either way.

As of asking about the ABS, this thread is not the best place for it. But, I do get pulsation from the brake pedal in some cases with the stock pads earlier and now with 2500s as well. But not as much for sure! Which points out to two things (well, maybe three in your case): something is not right with the brakes, you are not using brakes as hard as they can be used, or pad material is not good enough for typical autoX duty. Also, it is much easier to engage ABS with less grippy tires - running on Hoosiers makes this much harder compare to the street tires I have tried so far!

Fedja

·
Registered
36 Posts
MrAWD - I'm thinking you're correct about me not being use to modern tires that grip like the stock Yoko's. I only get the Evo out on weekends, so this Saturday I think I'll hit some back roads and really stand on the brakes at about 30-35MPH and see what happens. Several magazines state the stock Evo does nearly 1G on the skid pad, while the Mustangs of the 1980's were lucky to be in low 0.7G range. And the stopping distances were also much different. I'm probably going to have to put a sign on my dashboard for AutoX that says "Press Harder on Brake Pedal" ;o)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bringing this from the dead, anyone running the X in BS this year?

Obviously not the car to have, an 8 or 9 would be much better. But that's not to say it can't do well locally. I think you will find now that the class is on street tires the EVO and STI will be a dominant car in the class.

1 - 20 of 357 Posts