Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

341 - 357 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just ordered the extreme contact sports to replace my worn out all season tires on the OEM wheels. This will be the daily driver set and wet tires if needed. I have them on my other car and like them and they seem to be highly regarded as a wet autocross tire.

I won't order the dry tires for another month or so since it is still pretty cold in the midwest. I'm trying to find someone that will put 275's on a 8.5 inch wheel that around me.

I am leaning towards the BFG's at the moment.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
I am leaning towards the BFG's at the moment.
I don't think you will go wrong with either BFGs or RE71s. Differences are rather small and dig into preference, driving style, outside temps, and position of the moon.

I personally don't like how hot my RE71s get and I don't believe that is optimal for them. Since, I have never ran Rivals, I can't compare them. But, the word is that BFGs handle higher temps better. Now, since they switch to version 1.5 from 1.0 in 275/35/18 size, it brings another variable into the calculation.

Now, BFG does offer much better contingency support, so for some that would be important as well.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Watch out D-Street! Prime12 is ready!! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
First dry event of the season yesterday. I have not dialed the new rear shocks in yet but even at 9 clicks of rebound the car was much looser than before.

Easily won my class and PAX'd 10/172.

Results here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those shocks look great, I looked into the MCS but didn't pull the trigger due to price.

I decided to go with what I know and got a new set of RE71s. Stepped up to 275s. My first event is in Toledo next weekend on concrete. I'm hoping its dry.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yessir :) We will show those pesky Focus RS's ;).

Also excited about the Finger Lakes tour just two weeks away but I feel I need more time to dial in the shocks :/.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #352

·
Registered
864 Posts
i planned to go to nationals but this year my car has informed me no. car needs a new block. i have it rigged to finish out the season for local events and finally have some boost back. yes i have been mia for a while

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
I would love to go back there too, but nothing in the near future there for me either. My block seem to be ok, but clutches could use a refreshment...oh well, I can still cheer for other from my work desk...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad I found this thread because FB is worthless. I drove a NA miata this last season and learned a lot, but I co-drove a 2011 Evo MR and fell in love (all stock but some 245/40/18 federals). Had my best finish (10/70 pax) with some national level drivers moonlighting in our region. Bought myself a 2013 GSR and am trying to find info on a good setup for D street next year. Looks like 275/35/18 is the ticket. whiteline front sway. Are the only shocks available the 4900 dollar MCS ones?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
Glad I found this thread because FB is worthless. I drove a NA miata this last season and learned a lot, but I co-drove a 2011 Evo MR and fell in love (all stock but some 245/40/18 federals). Had my best finish (10/70 pax) with some national level drivers moonlighting in our region. Bought myself a 2013 GSR and am trying to find info on a good setup for D street next year. Looks like 275/35/18 is the ticket. whiteline front sway. Are the only shocks available the 4900 dollar MCS ones?
Welcome aboard Mike!
RE71s 275s seem to be working well, but I would like to see some testing with Rivals S and new kid on the block - Yokos in 265/35/18 size. I still have high hopes that Rivals might be pretty good choice for our heavy car, but I have no money to do such testing. Yokos seem to be not as happy with limited camber stock cars and one of the FoRS killed front tires too quick for my liking. Hard to say if would face the same results, but tire seem to be softer and probably faster than the others.

As of the shocks, MCS has build several sets. Aside from doubles with externals, you could also go without remotes. You do loose ability to play with gas pressures, and get a bit less adjustment, but well worth its price. You also have singles as cheapest MCS option as well.

I have asked Koni for yellows that would fit our car, but never got any response from them. Those would be nice option to have, but as of now, there is nothing there.

There are several other shocks that guys are using here with good success. Either way you go, you would have to build custom slots for springs. I got mine from SFR (see my sig) and I am sure that you could get your set there as well.

Finally on the street legal shocks/struts - most of those I have seen so far have high speed compression adjustment on them and for lack of better words, those suck for what we do with them. Low speed compression would be much more useful, but only place that was willing to make me a set was Anze - set of Penske 7500 (doubles, no remotes), which would be done at similar price as MSC. The most elusive option would be to get a set of triples and remove high speed adjuster from them (basically making them doubles), but not there yet.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ll check those tires out as well. Being that one tire costs as much as 3 RE71s for the Miata I hate to be the one to experiment.

I was “shocked” by the lack of shock choices for the evo honestly. I used koni’s on a few cars so I had my mind set on that. I can’t see your sig links until I get 10 posts.

I have a lot of work to accomplish first, the car I bought was super cheap because it has a nice sight hole in the side of the block to check on the pistons. Lol. I need to find a stock air box and catalytic converter for it as well.

I’ll probably go ahead and order the front sway bar because it looks like it will be much easier with no drivetrain in the car.

341 - 357 of 357 Posts